Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YHM R9?

Site Supporter
    I have used an R9 on a G19, 9mm PCC, .223, and .308 Win. It is a very quiet can with subsonic 9mm. You can get multiple attachments (pistol booster, direct thread, QD, etc) and so far they all have worked well. It actually suppresses the 223 and 308 (16” barrels) better than I expected. As was mentioned, it is a bit bigger in diameter, so taller sights (or a red dot) are necessary on a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Why did you decide to go with the R9 as opposed to just using your Rugged? And why not another Rugged if you just wanted "dedicated" cans? Just curious!
    I wanted a larger diameter can for PCC use specifically on the CZ scorpion. The R9 price is amazing so I couldn’t say no. AFAIK the R9 is not user serviceable so we’ll see how the baffle fouling goes over time. I figure if that was a problem it would be well known by now so I’m not too worried. Plus the DA wolfman is similar design and holds up fine.

None of the pistol cans seem super quiet to me. I’ve become a collector of rimfire and rifle cans because they work so damn well, but pistol cans I’m 50/50 on. The griffin resistance was also on the list for me and I may get one in 45 if the price is right.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

My R9 just got released from NFA jail. Feels and looks great. Currently have it direct threaded to my cz scorpion evo. Waiting on a YHM 3 lug mount for the R9. This can is just begging to be 3 lugged. Will provide a range report once I can get out and shoot it, although if looking for a sub-gun larger diameter 9mm can it looks like a winner. The only “concern” I have is cleaning, as the R9 is not user serviceable. I may occasionally “clean” the can be running 5.56 or .308 through it.

3 range trips with the R9 on the cz scorpion pistol. Initially ran it DT but now it’s 3 lugged. Very impressed by the performance. This is my first non-serviceable 9mm suppressor and I’m wondering how it’s going to be maintained over long term. Regardless I’m happy with the performance. Compared to my obsidian 9 in full length setup it’s just a smidge louder (running fiocchi 9APE 158 gr). For the price tag the R9 seems like an obvious choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    3 range trips with the R9 on the cz scorpion pistol. Initially ran it DT but now it’s 3 lugged. Very impressed by the performance. This is my first non-serviceable 9mm suppressor and I’m wondering how it’s going to be maintained over long term. Regardless I’m happy with the performance. Compared to my obsidian 9 in full length setup it’s just a smidge louder (running fiocchi 9APE 158 gr). For the price tag the R9 seems like an obvious choice.
    How are you liking your R9 now that you’ve had it awhile? I’m considering one for 9mm SBR use.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    How are you liking your R9 now that you’ve had it awhile? I’m considering one for 9mm SBR use.
    It is excellent. I am using a YHM 3 lug mount. Zero complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    It is excellent. I am using a YHM 3 lug mount. Zero complaints.
    Your comment here plus a review where a person had issues with a KeyMicro mount on their R9 resulting in a non warranty can repair has me thinking about the same. ILWT even makes MPX taper three lugs.

Thanks!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Your comment here plus a review where a person had issues with a KeyMicro mount on their R9 resulting in a non warranty can repair has me thinking about the same. ILWT even makes MPX taper three lugs.

Thanks!
    My YHM suppressors (R9, turbo k, resonator k) get more use than anything else. Their compact size and excellent value really won me over. YHM’s center fire rifle taper mount system is poorly understood by many folks including YouTube users, but works very well. The lock is created by the tapers not the ratcheting, which serves as a secondary lock system to prevent the can from walking off. If the YHM cans offered a removable endcap they would be perfect IMO.

After past 3 years of suppressor use, I’ve come to conclusion that 99% cases of suppressor damage is human error. Any suppressor I mount is going to be aligned, properly tightened and periodically checked. One cannot assume projectile stability especially when loading heavy for caliber.

I think you’ll be happy with the R9. The only reason to pick something else is you plan to run it on a pistol at all.

Thanks, @Squib308 - you tipped me over the edge. Your experience combined with my friend’s has convinced me that I would be best served with a R9 on three lugs for my 9mm SBRs. I went ahead and ordered three lugs from ILWT and found a good price on the YHM three lug adapter, and will wait and see if there are any deals next weekend at the suppressor event I’m attending - although at $420 I doubt I’d see much additional off that.

How did you attach your three lugs - Rocksett? Did you use shims at all? Which three lug did you use for your Scorpion? Mine has a 1/2x28 threaded HBI K barrel, I can’t see replacing it with their three lug version so I ordered one from ILWT.

The wait is really gonna suck… thank you for your advice!
    Ken

User Tag List