Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enclosed vs. Open Emitter Dots and Fogging

New market for gangster sights....

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Generally, I prefer enclosed emitter designs - especially if carries them openly, like a duty righ.

A couple of weeks ago, these came to me from a class at a large, metropolitan agency in AZ. 1st gen 509T with internal fogging:
    Unsurprising. Everybody can ship a dud, but Aimpoint ships fewer than anyone else in the business. Hence my preference for the ACRO on a serious use pistol.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Yesterday I received a Swampfox Liberty that I intend to mount on a Nelson Precision Manufacturing slide for a Glock 44. The box was delivered at the mailbox outside my office, inside the building, and sat there for a couple of hours before I retrieved and opened the box. As soon as I removed the cover from the optic, the lens fogged. The fog dissipated in a few minutes, but if I had to use a gun on which the optic was mounted right then and there, both the optic and iron sights would have been severely compromised.

Since the same thing happens to my glasses frequently, I would expect it to happen to any optic.

Right now my primary interest in optics is improving my skills with iron sights. Perhaps later, I will use one for concealed carry.

Does anyone have any updates on whether carrying the gun concealed will keep the temperature consistent enough to resist fogging? (Edited to add: I see at least one poster above had repeatable fogging issues while carrying in an air-conditioned car and then stepping out into the heat.)

Every time I have tried to use any anti-fog substance on my swimming goggles, I have invariably ruined the lenses of the goggles. Am I using the wrong product, or am I that bad at applying it? What works, and does not create a risk of creating its own problems seeing through the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Does anyone have any updates on whether carrying the gun concealed will keep the temperature consistent enough to resist fogging?
    Not optic specific, but up here in NH a pistol kept concealed under a shirt with a coat over it stays pretty warm. Bringing a rifle inside after a winter range session is a different story.

User Tag List