Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: So if a G20 is near-perfect, is a G21 a mistake?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    One of the primary reasons is cost.

At more than $2 per round for the Lehigh, I will just roll my own.

I know guys who buy one or two boxes of the stuff like above and they will have those same boxes 8 years later. That is not me.

As an example, when I wanted to make a load with the ballistics in the same ballpark as the one that Phil Shoemaker used to kill a Grizz with using a 9mm that was coming after his clients (he was shooting a 9mm +P 147 grain hard cast flat point @ 1100 FPS) I shot well over 700 rounds in testing before I was happy with a load that would run in everything from Glocks to notoriously short chambered CZs, and even my kids little S&W Shield.

That load penetrates in feet rather than inches btw.

Plus, in order to stay proficient, one needs to practice with what you actually carry and burning up a few hundred rounds of hot .45 or 10mm at $2+ per round is not practical for me.

I was just out two days ago and burned through 150 rounds of 10MM practicing:

I like to shoot too much.

Plus if all I had in my gun was high end $2+ a round stuff and a coyote appeared, I know darn well, that I would still empty a mag, same as always, trying to put down the calf killer

Or a rabbit..

Gotcha. You're a better man than I, and you know what you're doing reloading-wise.

I'm constrained time and budget wise (wife review board and all that....), so I'm sticking with factory. But I'm envious.

Best, Jon

Was someone looking for a G30SF? Looks like this one is still available:

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/...oodies.139394/

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    One of the primary uses of the 10mm for me is outdoors/trail use and the use of heavier than standard ammo. Glock uses the same RSA (spring weight ) for the .45 as they do the 10mm. The loads I shoot tend to be oriented towards large animal defense. The stock 17# spring can unlock a bit early with a warmer load. You can tell this when using the chronograph, as you get pretty extreme spreads. When you put in a heavier spring, that lessens substantially. One manufacturer of heavy 10mm loads has commented about G20s unlocking early with their ammo and very extreme velocity spreads. Having shot some of their ammo in steel framed guns, I would be quite hesitant to put it in a plastic gun utilizing factory springs. A few dollars for some heavier recoil springs is cheap insurance.

The recoil spring weight part might be true (and less of an issue with the gen 4 dual spring setup) but recall that the G20 slide is purposely heavier than the G21 slide.

This thread is making me fall back in love with the G20... And is reminding me that I meant to buy a G21 at some point (maybe when .45 ammo is cheaper)

User Tag List