Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: So if a G20 is near-perfect, is a G21 a mistake?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The 30S has intrigued me for a long time. It’s pretty much G19 sized, right? I had a 36 years ago that I didn’t get on with, but I have to wonder if a 30S might be the compact .45 I’ve wanted.
    I dream of a Glock 30 with a well done thumb safety. Will it ever happen? As likely as me being 6ft 4. Still, I can dream.

The 30 does seem like a pretty special package. Have you ever used handgun hero? The 30 compares very well
    in size to many guns.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    What parts need to be swapped in the G21 to shoot 10 mm accurately and reliably?
    I missed this question the first time around.

I have been shooting 10mm in my G21 for a long time. Originally I had a G20 and 21. Sold the 20 when they stopped producing OD green 20s and prices skyrocketed on them. Anyways, I had purchased a Kmart, I mean Lone Wolf traditionally rifled barrel for it, (actually two, both a 10mm and a 40-10 conversion) and still had the barrels. On a whim, I dropped the barrels in the G21. Both fit.

Off to the range I went with some 10mm mags. I did not do any spring changes. I just loaded up both .40 and 10mm. Everything ran through the G21 with the conversion barrels just fine. I was initially concerned about the breach face size difference between the 10mm and .45 and how the barrels would lock up. But in shooting them, everything ran perfectly. I have run stuff from lightweight .40 loads to older original hot Norma loads and it all has worked with zero issues.

Old pic from the Photobucket days about the how practical the G21 is. I consider it one of the more adaptable/practical guns out there.

The punchline is all you need is a barrel and mags. I did not even change out the extractor. If I was going to shoot top end Buffalo Bore stuff, I would put a heavier spring in it, But if I had a stock G20, I would put a heavier spring in it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    During strings of fire the trigger pull would suddenly go off the charts. A tap-roll-rack would usually resolve it, until it didn't. One time I went through the immediate action 2-3 times and the trigger was pressing against the frame. Field stripped, wiped down, problem gone. It was so intermittant, but increasing in frequency, and it could not be reproduced, so that armorers and armorer instructors had no idea what was up between 1996-2010ish. Gave the gun to my dad in 1999 when I got off probation with my first agency and it was made clear that they were trying streamline/standardize while still requiring officer purchased weapons. Compact .40 was the flavor of the day, G23, Sig P229, or Beretta Cougar were the only ones allowed.

Anyway, my third armorers course was 2011, and D. Tueller, in I believe my second class with him, had an answer. Replace the trigger housing. Too many detail strips where a steel connector gets pushed in and out of the plastic housing, and at least two out of spec aftermarket "-" connectors I am aware of from a fairly well known commercial $ource led to the connector slot in the housing being wallowed out as the trigger bar pressed against it and the firing cycle pushed it into and out of place. Undersized piece of steel in an oversized plastic slot wiggling away allowed the malfunctions and increased the specific wear that allowed it. Probably would have gone unnoticed for a 5-10 years at normal Fuddish firing schedules. New trigger housing is the answer, but I always go trigger housing-springs-connector-trigger bar-pins just to be safe. pat
    good info. We had a stock of G21 trigger mech housings and I would replace them here and there, but for a loose connector was few during our 1992 to 2020 run. Back when we were in the thick of G21s, no one was allowed to "mess" with their guns (we had about 150 G21s).

Today.... we hire so many YouTube Glock Armorers (HA!)...... I have to constantly put out emails that they are not allowed to make any changes to their issued Glocks or take them apart past a field strip.

thanks again for the info
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    I have owned 3 Gen 3 21's and had excellent accuracy with each. As I aged, they became too big for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I dream of a Glock 30 with a well done thumb safety. Will it ever happen? As likely as me being 6ft 4. Still, I can dream.

The 30 does seem like a pretty special package. Have you ever used handgun hero? The 30 compares very well
    in size to many guns.

I think a G30S shooting 200 grain SWCs is a sweetspot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I think a G30S shooting 200 grain SWCs is a sweetspot.
    Interested.

Need more info.

This is my next path to explore with my 30s. The 185 and 200 swc at +p power.

I’m looking for vengeance on feral hogs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The 30S has intrigued me for a long time. It’s pretty much G19 sized, right? I had a 36 years ago that I didn’t get on with, but I have to wonder if a 30S might be the compact .45 I’ve wanted.
    Pretty much everything but the grip length is within tenths of an inch.

G19:

1 Length (Overall)** 187 mm | 7.36 inch
    2 Slide Length 174 mm | 6.85 inch
    3 Width (Overall) 32 mm | 1.26 inch
    4 Slide Width 25,5 mm | 1.0 inch
    5 Height incl.Mag. 128 mm | 5.04 inch
    6 Line of Sight (Polymer) 153 mm | 6.02 inch
    Line of Sight (Steel) 152 mm | 5.98 inch
    Line of Sight (GNS) 151 mm | 5.94 inch
    7 Trigger Distance** 71,2 mm | 2.80 inch

G30S:

1 Length (Overall)** 177 mm | 6.97 inch
    2 Slide Length 172 mm | 6.77 inch
    3 Width (Overall) 35 mm | 1.38 inch
    4 Slide Width 25,5 mm | 1.00 inch
    5 Height incl.Mag. 122 mm | 4.80 inch
    6 Line of Sight (Polymer) 150 mm | 5.91 inch
    Line of Sight (Steel) 149 mm | 5.87 inch
    Line of Sight (GNS) 148 mm | 5.83 inch
    7 Trigger Distance** 72,5 mm | 2.85 inch

My use is for GSSF so I have G21 mags with sleeves. I haven't really thought about carrying it up until now.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 08-15-2021 at 04:12 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I think I remember why I didn’t ever pick up a 30s - no Gen4.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Hi,has anyone noticed any differences between U.S. manufactured 21's and Austrian produced ones?Looking at our distributors websites,they don't seem to list Austrian manufactured ones.Thank you.

Site Supporter
    I have both, the only difference that I can see is the slide and frame country of origin marking.

User Tag List