Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So if a G20 is near-perfect, is a G21 a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    Attachment 75537

I think there's something about the grip on the big G20/21 that allows some of us a perfect trigger reach. This is my G20 with the grip reduced to G29 size. This target was 12 yards, 10 shots, with stout 40 S&W handloads, using a Lone Wolf conversion barrel. It shoots full house 10mm ammo just as well. It's ugly, but man this gun shoots really well for me, and conceals very easily in an IWB holster.
    Did you do the mods to that G20 or have it done by a 'Smith in Middle Tennessee? Sorry for the drift...
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Site Supporter
    I have a G21 and G41. For pure accuracy- I prefer the 41. With a set of Dawson FO front, and target rear, 1.25-1.5” groups at 25 yards are the norm. The 21 is very accurate as well, but I can’t shoot it quite as well. If I were shooting a bullseye match I would take the 41 over any other pistol I have.

Doesn’t sound like you need it but here’s one more vote for the G21, gen 3 sf in my case. The sf makes the grip just about perfect for me. I too have toyed for some time with with the idea of a G20 but I end up opting not to add one more caliber to the stable, especially these days. When I’m out in the woods for any length of time I load the 21sf with Underwood .45+P 255 gr. hard cast and switch out the recoil spring for a little heavier one.
    As mentioned, it’s a great piece.
    צדק צדק תרדוף
    justice justice shall you pursue

Site Supporter
    I have a Gen 4 G21 and G41. They are both very accurate pistols. The G41 is currently serving duty as a nightstand gun with a TLR-1 HL attached.

With no light attached, the G41 is actually a little snappier to shoot than the G21 because of the G41's lighter slide. With the light attached the G41 shoots a bit more like the G21. I like having the bit of extra velocity the G41 provides and it fits in my G34 holster. The G21 is a chunk but it is a good shooting gun for sure.

On the Gen 3 vs Gen 4 trigger thing:

Gen 3 G34 had a really good trigger out of the box, since it had the minus connector installed at the factory.
    Gen 3 G17 trigger was heavy and rough, so I installed a minus connector based on advice I got here and made it just like the G34 trigger.
    Gen 4 G21 has a decent trigger but not quite as good as the Gen 3 with minus connector.
    Gen 4 G41 trigger seems just like the Gen 4 G21.
    Gen 5 G17 trigger is good for a factory Glock trigger, but not quite as good as my Gen 3s with minus connector. A little better than the Gen 4s.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Do tell!

My gunsmith is partial to Gen 3 Glocks, not sure why.
    I think the 4th Gen is over sprung. If I didn’t shoot pretty hot ammo the ejection was erratic. 3rd gen never had that issue. The texture of the 4th is nice though. With a 3rd gen I’d go with talon grips or stipple it.

That’s only for the 21. I have no experience with a 4th gen 30.

My experience with the G21 is with Gen 3 models, and VERY positive regarding accuracy, reliability and handling.

I just wished that the grip was a liiittle bit smaller and passed to buy one when I had the chance.

With the Gen 4 dual recoil spring system, can you still change it for an aftermarket one with a heavier spring if desired (for heavy loads)?

How is the grip of the G21 SF compared to the Gen 3? And compared to the G21 Gen 4?

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Did you do the mods to that G20 or have it done by a 'Smith in Middle Tennessee? Sorry for the drift...
    I bought an extra G20 SF frame for cheap from Gunbroker (in case I screwed up), and went to work with a Dremel, very carefully and slowly, trying to mimic the grip of a G29. I totally broke the #1 rule of not taking a Dremel to one's gun, but it worked out great.
    Ordinary guy

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I think the gen 3 20 and 21 are among the best Glocks; I do prefer the SF.

When I took a Ken Hackathorn class (I was shooting a 20 at the time; can't remember if I'd gone to the SF yet) he told me he thought the 20s were the only glocks comparable to the 17s for reliability and described them as "fantastic guns." That was around 2008.

My 20SF is a never-sell gun. I happen to like 10mm but I think a 21SF is equally good. I've shot three that I can think of and without checking notes, I'd be pretty confident saying that if you lined up all the glocks I'd ever shot from most to least accurate, including ones with aftermarket barrels and a bunch of effort put in etc etc etc, I think the straight-out-of-the-box G21s would all be in the top five. I'm not sure why, but they're very accurate guns. If one fits your program I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

The only thing I'd say is if you can, shoot an SF and a standard, and compare performance. Some people actually seem to shoot the standard frame better, even though they prefer the feel of the SF.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    I think the gen 3 20 and 21 are among the best Glocks; I do prefer the SF.

When I took a Ken Hackathorn class (I was shooting a 20 at the time; can't remember if I'd gone to the SF yet) he told me he thought the 20s were the only glocks comparable to the 17s for reliability and described them as "fantastic guns." That was around 2008.

My 20SF is a never-sell gun. I happen to like 10mm but I think a 21SF is equally good. I've shot three that I can think of and without checking notes, I'd be pretty confident saying that if you lined up all the glocks I'd ever shot from most to least accurate, including ones with aftermarket barrels and a bunch of effort put in etc etc etc, I think the straight-out-of-the-box G21s would all be in the top five. I'm not sure why, but they're very accurate guns. If one fits your program I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

The only thing I'd say is if you can, shoot an SF and a standard, and compare performance. Some people actually seem to shoot the standard frame better, even though they prefer the feel of the SF.
    I've never handled an SF model, but the standard G20 is far better than a G17 gen4 with the large backstrap for me. In terms of shooting results.

The G20 is also the gun that made me really question "feel" in handguns. Because nothing about the feel of the G20 excited me too much. A muzzle-light 2x4. But after I started shooting, it "felt" frigging awesome. 👌

I'm pretty set on the standard G21, but how often has a PF member become really excited about a Glock, then never bought another Glock? I mean, we have some really sensible people here, but not that many. And I'm not one of 'em.

Thanks to that G20, I am way interested in trying out the G21sf, G30/31, and G40/41.

(According to my LNGS, SF models are a few bucks cheaper than the full frame)

And I had a pretty nice, but brief, experience with a G42 a few years back. And the only G43x I have fondled "felt" interesting.🤪

This is truly the best enabling site on the net. Thanks folks!

Another thought tho: why are the large frame Glocks the tack drivers of the family? Or is it more a matter of shootablity than inherent accuracy?
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Another vote for the G21SF. I had one with a wacky ambi mag release and pictatinny rail. Like others have mentioned, it was reliable and very accurate. One of the pistols I traded and wish I had kept.

It also caused lots of discussion about if 45ACP was inherently more accurate than 9mm or the bigger holes make the groups looks smaller. A mystery for the ages!

Looked like this. I bought it in the Seattle SODO Costco parking lot for $450. The good old days!

User Tag List