Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Living near a CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation)

There was a turkey farm about a mile or so from where I grew up. I'm guessing it wasn't on the scale you're talking about, but we could smell it sometimes. The prevailing winds almost always blew the stench in another direction. At that time, most farmers spread cow manure on fields, and they were pretty bad even for smaller farms. What that did to ground water I don't know or care to think about.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I spent thirteen years living in an area with feedlots and processing plants. I can say wholeheartedly that you want no part of anything they bring to the area. They have negative impacts on everything fron air quality to polluting the water table. Swine are the absolute worst at the latter. Due to the employee base they attract, read that as southern and illegal, there will be an increase in local crime at all levels: doubling of domestic violence, tripling of property crime etc. There is no upside except for the few elite locals who may profit from land sales and the corporations that run the facilities. If you own property, my best advice is to sell now while you can. That's the only good you'll get out of if.
    There are already lost of hog barns around the area and have been for years. Tosh Farms is local to me and he has lots of contracted barns all over the area. They were always 10+ miles away.

The chicken barns are new. Tyson recently opened up a factory in Humboldt TN which is around 30 miles away and apparently people are now putting in chicken barns to go with all the hog barns that Tosh had subcontracted.

I am looking for property elsewhere now. I actually found an interesting property in an area that I thought would be "safe" from barns. While I was examining the adjacent properties low and behold I see the familiar outline from the satellite view and sure enough, there was a pair of chicken barns right down the road.

Even moving to what I would assume to be a "safe" area that is predominantly hills and woods with almost no flat farmland for nutrient management, there is still a chance.

I think the only thing to do is to buy a big enough piece of ground that I won't be near them, but I am not sure how big a piece of ground that needs to be. It would take 640 to have a square piece of ground that was 1 mile by 1 mile.

If you can't smell them at .25 mile away, I could buy a 640 acres and build a house directly in the middle and have no chance of smelling it no matter if someone buys something right next to my property line.

It is quite frustrating. I HATE living in a subdivision. I really don't like living the the "semi" subdivision that I live in now but both of those prevent this from happening.

First world problems, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    How far away could you smell it?
    With a good wind at least a mile. After that it had pretty much been diluted by the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex41mag View Post
    With a good wind at least a mile. After that it had pretty much been diluted by the wind.
    Thanks!

Was it open flat or trees/hills?

There are lots of mature trees and rolling country between my land and both of these pits of hell. I have read that it has an affect. Particularly being elevated and having trees. I am both higher in elevation and screened by several hundred acres of trees.

I knew a guy who opened a chicken operation to supply a major processor. I never went there but from what he told me it was a nasty operation. And he was continually getting death threats.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Never lived close to one but we used to raise hogs when I was a kid. After a few years of having them near the house my parents decided it wasn't such a good idea because pigs really stink. They purchased 10 acres about a half mile from the house and moved the operation over there. It wasn't near anyone's house. I had to make the trip everyday to feed those smelly bastards. I still eat pork every now and then though.

Here's a good article on corporate livestock operations impacting people who live near them.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/53.8/agri...ing-lifestyles

The CAFO near Sunizona AZ, which the article talks about, is about 30 miles from where I was raised. There isn't a lot of water left in that aquifer.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-10-2021 at 03:54 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    No experience with swine facilities but grew up surrounded by chicken farms and there are still a number of them nearby. In the summer when they open the houses to send the hens to the processing plant and clean out the manure you can smell it if the wind is right. Day to day it was not noticeable at any distance like a mile and a half. If you were on the immediate property I'm sure it was potent but you'd have to be relatively close in my experience.

I wouldn't want to live next to one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    First world problems, right?
    That depends on which way the mid term elections go.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Are there any endangered plants/animals/insects in the area? Historical landmarks, battlefields?
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Are there any endangered plants/animals/insects in the area? Historical landmarks, battlefields?
    Unfortunately no.

The only thing of historical note was my several greats Grandfather that was murdered down the road a piece from where we planned on building. I actually own a piece of his farm. It made several of the papers but seriously doubt it would be something anyone would want to do an historical plaque, especially now.

http:// https://www.newspapers.com/c...oleman-murder/

User Tag List