Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Bourdain is dead

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Fashion designer Kate Spade killed herself earlier this week. More tragic examples that fame and fortune don't buy happiness.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

That's some crazy news. It's surprising (to me) as he was clearly no stranger to struggle coming up as a chef, and had appeared to have come to grips with many of his personal demons.

It would seem that more and more people are finding themselves unable to "exist" in our society / culture / civilization. Strange times we are living in.

I noted something interesting when Kate Spade’s suicide was announced on the radio. It came with a suicide hotline referral. Same with the above article. I find it interesting that when we have people commit suicide with firearms it is a “gun violence” problem that requires lots of laws, bans and regulations. When it is a celebrity who commits suicide by other means it is rightfully looked at as a mental health problem. I guess it is part of the never letting a tragedy go to waste theory among progressives and the ease in which folks only care about the real issue when you can’t score some political points.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

This saddens me more than a celebrity death normally would. Bourdain was one of my BJJ inspirations.

Check out the article he wrote about his experience here, "Sweep the leg, Johnny!"

Site Supporter
    Bourdain was a rare celebrity in that we wasn't at least rabidly anti gun.

I was sad to learn of this today. I appreciated his open minded perspective and the fact that he had taken up BJJ at an advanced age. RIP.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Site Supporter
    Such a waste.

Despite our differences politically, I've always felt a large measure of kinship with Bourdains lens. From "No Reservations" to "Parts Unknown", I found his view of the world through local food compelling and insightful, usually. Paralleling my own ways of getting to know new places and cultures (although my travels are not quite as extreme).

WifeGBiv and I saw him at Bass Hall a few years ago with Eric Ripert.

Thank you and Godspeed, Bourdain.

ETA:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
    Call 1-800-273-8255
    Available 24 hours everyday
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 06-08-2018 at 08:17 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I noted something interesting when Kate Spade’s suicide was announced on the radio. It came with a suicide hotline referral. Same with the above article. I find it interesting that when we have people commit suicide with firearms it is a “gun violence” problem that requires lots of laws, bans and regulations. When it is a celebrity who commits suicide by other means it is rightfully looked at as a mental health problem. I guess it is part of the never letting a tragedy go to waste theory among progressives and the ease in which folks only care about the real issue when you can’t score some political points.
    Prior to CT passing their post Sandy Hook legislation limiting magazine capacity and banning so called AWs there was an organized lobbying day at the state capitol. I got into a conversation with an anti-gunner inside the legislative office building. This woman's argument about guns was focused on suicide. Her argument was that those who attempted suicide via methods other than guns could possibly be saved after the act was initialized. She equated the start moment of swallowing a bottle of pills with pulling a trigger. In her logic the pill taker could be discovered before death and saved but the person who uses the gun had no hope. Therefore we need to ban guns because guns are too effective a method of committing suicide. It's just amazing how someone can concoct an argument to suit there agenda.

It's a tragedy whenever someone takes his own life, no matter the means, and no matter the individual's social status (celebrity or not), wealth or political/societal outlook.

User Tag List