Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson model 64

I wonder what shape the gun was in before it was sand blasted? The pitting does not bother me, only skin deep. The workmanship is superb and it shoots to point of aim at 3, 7 and 10 yards. I did some smoothing on the inside, the blasting had roughed it up pretty good. Looking at the original price before discount I could not have found a donner and done the same thing for what I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    The pits would drive me nuts every time I looked at it.

I heard that Fink is now running the 'smithy at Gunsite.
    I didn’t even notice them until you pointed them out. I had a 3” 65 that had similar pots and I forgot about them after awhile. Another PF member has it now.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I didn’t even notice them until you pointed them out. I had a 3” 65 that had similar pots and I forgot about them after awhile. Another PF member has it now.
    What causes pits like that on a stainless gun? Is it normal wear? Or a something unusual like submersion in salt water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    What causes pits like that on a stainless gun? Is it normal wear? Or a something unusual like submersion in salt water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sweat collecting under the grips.

My m66 is getting some

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Sweat collecting under the grips.

My m66 is getting some
    Interesting. I'm out West in a dry climate, and I haven't seen that. I have a few beat up model 64's from the California Dept of Corrections. Beat to crap, finish-wise. The serial numbers were obscured, so they were restamped on the side of frames. No pits, though.

It's tempting to send one off to Finks for a conversion of this type. They're mechanically pretty sound.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    The pits would drive me nuts every time I looked at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    If it were mine, I think I would take pride in resurrecting a worthy base gun...
    This is how I think about my 3" M10-7 "rescue" gun. By the pattern of the rust/pitting, it had been bought new and stored in a holster for 30+ years, but the bore and chambers were pristine. I had it parkerized and have put more rounds through it so far than the previous owner. Instead of being a safe queen, it's a user. The parkerizing is getting shiny from the JMCK IWB3 it rides in.

Site Supporter
    Very nice score. The pits tell it's story. I would bob the hammer unless you really want to keep single action capability.

I use grease under my grips to help with the sweat getting under them and causing pitting. I also use VZ grips as they tend to not soak up the oil or grease like wood, and don't hold moisture.

I redo the grease about every 6 months.

Here in Florida a Ping Pong Ball could Rust in 2 days if you gave it a chance....
    Last edited by MDFA; 08-13-2021 at 05:07 AM.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

That’s an awesome revolver. Someday I’m going to get my hands on a well loved k frame and send it off to someone to get turned into my “ideal k frame.” It’s on the bucket list

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    That’s an awesome revolver. Someday I’m going to get my hands on a well loved k frame and send it off to someone to get turned into my “ideal k frame.” It’s on the bucket list
    I thought about doing that. Then I was able to buy a 3" M65 for $500. A tritium front sight would be nice. but I already had a set of lasergrips. So I'm calling it good.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

What would a reasonable price for a gently-used 3” 64-7 38+P (with lock) be? An office neighbor is looking to offload one with about 200 rounds through it and came to me looking for assistance.

User Tag List