Thread: RFI: Charlotte NC

RFI: Charlotte NC

Curious to know about this town.

Prime interests are:
    • Options for Sporting Clays
    • Options for USPSA & IDPA (seems to be slim pickings from a brief search)
    • General gun law issues to consider (NFA, CCW, etc.)
    • Housing situation within 30 min of BOA Stadium (prefer close to restaurants & such, more "urban" than "suburban")
    • School considerations (public, private, etc. for 6th grade & up)

Also, should a visit prove imminent, what to make sure not to miss? what to avoid?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Dewitt's and The Fork for sporting clays but you can also check out https://www.claytargetsonline.com/north-carolina-2/
    Adam

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Curious to know about this town.

Prime interests are:
    • Options for Sporting Clays
    • Options for USPSA & IDPA (seems to be slim pickings from a brief search)
    • General gun law issues to consider (NFA, CCW, etc.)
    • Housing situation within 30 min of BOA Stadium (prefer close to restaurants & such, more "urban" than "suburban")
    • School considerations (public, private, etc. for 6th grade & up)

Also, should a visit prove imminent, what to make sure not to miss? what to avoid?
    We lived in Charlotte (or at least the metro area) from 2005-2014. So My data is out of date. But, I can at least give you some idea. Anyone who actually lives there now, will have a much better idea.

Sporting clays? Great! Awesome club to the South. Rocky Creek. Other places within a decent drive.

USPSA/IDPA. Not sure. There are 2-3 larger gun clubs in the area, most had a reasonable amount of shooting sports when I was there. I don't know what COVID did to them.

NFA - Easy. CCW. Shall issue, can't carry into places that serve alcohol.

Housing near BOFA... You can live in Myers Park/Dilworth and be very close. Nice neighborhoods. Can get very expensive. A very urban version of suburban life. Close to South End, lots of nice restaurants and a few breweries.

You can live further into the suburbs and might hit 30 min, depending on traffic. Just into South Carolina is pretty good. SC is much more gun friendly than NC. But you basically are tied to the interstate to get to work. We lived on the north side of town (Harrisburg) I could get uptown in about 30 min, with usual traffic.

School? No idea. We don't have kids.

Can't miss...Hmmm. The US Whitewater Center is fun. It's a county park, and the training center for the Olympics. Your guides usually are Olympic hopefuls. If you like watching cars go round and round...there's plenty of cool stuff associated with NASCAR. Big museum downtown. Track is to the north. Discovery Place is a neat hands on science museum. Apparently, we were really boring, cause that's all I can think of right now.

Like I said, I'm out of date. I figured someone else must live there, but I guess not.

From a cost of living perspective, consider residing in SC and commuting into Charlotte. Retired now, but that is what I did. From a handgunner’s perspective, SC is way less red tape for purchase/carry.

I'm closer to Winston Salem than Charlotte and I hate cities, so I can't give you too much help. One quick correction on Dr. Thanatos's post: concealed carry laws have changed for the better since he left and you can now carry in places that serve alcohol as long as you aren't drinking. One really bad gun law is that you need either the concealed carry permit or a pistol purchase permit in order to buy a handgun. The CC permit has good reciprocity. Involves a class that is mandated to be 8 hrs in the classroom plus the range time, and usually costs about $75. The permit itself will take a longish time to get, and I think costs about $100.

USPSA--I think the closest in NC is going to be Rowan County Wildlife near Salisbury. There's a Thursday evening USPSA at a range near Lake Norman that should also be a relatively easy drive from Charlotte. Piedmont Handgunner Club is a really nice gun club in Lexington. They have some outlaw action pistol events I haven't been to. There may be some events in SC that are close to Charlotte, but I've never looked that far south.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Visit: https://crpc.clubexpress.com/
    They offer just about every shooting discipline you could image. Membership fee is a tad high for me, but I know fellow shooters that are members there.

Went to college in NC. Have spent a good deal of time in the Charlotte area, but I don't live there. I hang my hat in SC.

TL;DR? @Dr_Thanatos gives very good advice.

Rocky Creek Sporting Clays (https://rockycreeksportingclays.com) is very nice and would be just south of you.

CCW isn't a problem, at all.

Living - Myers Park/Dilworth, South End, Plaza Midwood, and NoDa (North Davidson - the artsy district with lots of breweries) would all be nice addresses, but they all get spendy quickly.

The interstates will pretty much determine your life. Rush Hour(s) can be exhausting, so you'll need to plan accordingly.

Can't miss? SouthPark (both the mall and the areas around it) are pretty famous for shopping. I'm a bit of a "foodie" so...in no specific order: Cowfish Sushi & Burger Bar, 300 East, Dot Dot Dot (cocktails), Pinky's Westside Grill, Mac's Speed Shop (BBQ), Amélie's French Bakery & Café (open 24 hours) and last, but by no means least, Rí Rá Irish Pub.

Happy hunting, sir!

Site Supporter
    The best shooting club in Charlotte is the Mecklenburg Wildlife Club, located somewhat near the Whitewater Center. They hold IDPA matches every month that are open to the public. The club itself is private and the membership population is relatively limited so that it is never even remotely crowded. More often than not, when I go, there is no one else on the entire property. Plus they have significant archery and fishing resources on site as well.

As for schools, the best public schools are in the south part of the city (e.g., around where I live - my public schools are McKee Elementary, JM Robinson Middle, and Providence High), or over the border in South Carolina. The cities (Fort Mill, Rock Hill, etc.) there are essentially suburbs of Charlotte. The best liquor store in the country, called Southern Spirits, is also just over the border into South Carolina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

Hadn’t even occurred to me how close to the border it is. Looks like Rock Hill and Fort Mill are two up-and-coming towns across the state line?

Interesting to see brand new developments that hug the line. Lol
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List