Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What Dead Cartridge Would You Revive?

.356 TSW

A 147 gr JHP at 1200+ feet per second sounds like a great cartridge to me and would work really well for my local bowling pin match.

I wish theyd start making and stocking 243 loads again, and maybe 357 magnum, the Remington 158 gr SJHP loads.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I wish theyd start making and stocking 243 loads again, and maybe 357 magnum, the Remington 158 gr SJHP loads.
    I’d at least like to be able to buy some Remington SJHP bullets to load.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I've got to get out more. Nobody even calls me on my rotary phone anymore to tell me these things.

Regarding the original question, I suppose we might need to define dead. Is dead all dead, or just mostly dead? If mostly dead, I would consider the 45 long colt.
    You might just be moving in the wrong circles. Among those hunting big game with handguns .45 Colt is the most represented round there is. And has the greatest selection of serious game bullets.
    That's a pretty thriving cartridge, so better get you one ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    .356 TSW

A 147 gr JHP at 1200+ feet per second sounds like a great cartridge to me and would work really well for my local bowling pin match.
    I really want to like the idea of .356 TSW ( and 9x23... and .38 Super/SuperComp). With purpose made/designed bullets, I'd be a kickass cartridge for just about everything I'd want to do with a handgun. Unfortunately, we probably wont see that bullet development happen. Most current 9mm JHP's wont stand 1200fps and still expand and penetrate correctly, since they are not designed for those speeds.

Speaking specifically of terminal ballistics in antipersonnel use: It gets to be a bit like .38 Special and .357 Magnum. There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to actual performance in the real world, and 9x19 seems to be about as close to that point as we can currently get.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    257 Roberts.

Always liked the name.

My wife just purchased an antique book on big game hunting just because it looks cool and she wanted it as a decoration. Turns out the author is the inventor of the 257 Roberts.
    I heart "The Bob." It's a wonderful "do all " cartridge that when handloaded correctly can hang with 6.5 Creedmore and much more "modern" cartridges.

If I had to pick it would 357 SIG or 38 Super +P.

I love super flat shooting laser beam cartridges. The 357 SIG, especially shot through a P229, is an absolute beast. Almost no bullet drop 50 yards. It's friggin amazing and a shame it never caught on for more than a few specialized agencies.

I still think the 45 GAP deserved to live.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    .356 TSW

Oh my. Any idea if it's length allowed it work a little more naturally in 1911s?

https://gunsmagazine.com/gear/the-356-tsw/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Oh my. Any idea if it's length allowed it work a little more naturally in 1911s?

https://gunsmagazine.com/gear/the-356-tsw/
    I also like the idea of a 9x23 or 38Super or the TSW with availability of an appropriate 147g HST or G2.

ETA: And once they develop the projectiles they can load a fast powder at reasonable velocities for short barrel 357mag that mimics it.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 08-10-2021 at 08:55 AM.

User Tag List