Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: What Dead Cartridge Would You Revive?

The .221 Rem, as named before. I think its a better .22 Hornet than the Hornet, and probably what most people are really after when they get a Hornet.
    I've wanted a Kimber 84 in that round since, well, 1984. Around 1989, I had a Remington 600 rebarreled to .221, but its only a so-so job (for starters, one rifling groove is clearly deeper to the naked eye). It still shoots OK, so the potential is there for a very accurate cartridge/rifle combo.

I'd like to also nominate the .44 AMP (Auto Mag Pistol) cartridge. I always thought a rimless .44 Mag would be useful in box magazines for carbines. Something like the Ruger 44 semiautos but with the capability of using a bigger magazine.

While I'm at it, give me the .357 AMP also. That's the .44 necked down, and arguably the more interesting cartridge. It is almost the same as the .357-44 B&D, also named earlier. I always thought it could be a neat carbine round.

Having got a Single Six in .32 H&R Mag recently, I see the point of those asking for the .25 Stevens and similar earlier in this thread. I have had some thoughts of using the .32 Mag as sort of a reloadable .22 LR, and that's what a .25 like that would be.

Well I couldn't help myself. I found an older Ruger 77, with tang safety, in 257 Roberts nearby, and picked it up.

Now must either learn to reload, or deal with low selection/high prices online. Not that I'm planning on running a lot of ammo through it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Well I couldn't help myself. I found an older Ruger 77, with tang safety, in 257 Roberts nearby, and picked it up.

Now must either learn to reload, or deal with low selection/high prices online. Not that I'm planning on running a lot of ammo through it.

Very cool.

Ive been pondering what could be the general purpose rifle cartridge for a gimpy shoulder, the 257 is right in the power range of "enough for most field tasks" in my neighborhood, but not much recoil. Im also a fan of the tang safety Ruger 77s.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Very cool.

Ive been pondering what could be the general purpose rifle cartridge for a gimpy shoulder, the 257 is right in the power range of "enough for most field tasks" in my neighborhood, but not much recoil. Im also a fan of the tang safety Ruger 77s.
    [activate car salesman voice/] It sounds like we need to get you into a 7mm Mauser, for both performance and classic style.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    [activate car salesman voice/] It sounds like we need to get you into a 7mm Mauser, for both performance and classic style.
    Lots of good choices there, especially if you reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    That's another round which has always intrigued me, but which I've got zero experience with.

Im also a fan of the tang safety Ruger 77s.
    There's one on on GB right now, and very local to me. It's got a single set trigger, and is in 220 Swift-another round that's difficult to find.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post

Very cool.

Always have been fascinated by the 257 Bob, but have yet to own one.

300 savage is a great medium power shoulder saver.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

.40Super

I used to shoot it back in the day through an old forged Para P14.45 and a forged Para 7.45LDA, both with Bar-Sto barrels.

It was fun to shoot, even if the ammo was Triton. A local shooting group of retired engineers called "The Hotrodders" would churn out stupid high velocities in that cartridge. 200gr Hornady XTP from a 5" 1991 at like 1,800fps, and a Bikini Atoll like muzzle blast. 135gr bullets would be north of 2,100fps.

Starline makes a run of brass from time-to-time.

.356 TSW

9 x 23

User Tag List