Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What Dead Cartridge Would You Revive?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Rather than a dead cartridge, let's reinvigorate a specific load in a currently "live" cartridge: the 38 wadcutter. Yeah, I know they're still available, but I can't tell you the last time I found some on a gun store shelf in this part of the country. I've either had to buy them online or roll my own.

Chris
    Definitely. I was able to get some from Precision Delta for a class and some Federal Gold Medal from Target Sports in mid 2019 (the Federal was $20 a box). I use the Federal as a carry load so I’d like to be able to replenish it as needed.

Rather than a dead cartridge, let's reinvigorate a specific load in a currently "live" cartridge: the 38 wadcutter. Yeah, I know they're still available, but I can't tell you the last time I found some on a gun store shelf in this part of the country. I've either had to buy them online or roll my own.

Chris
    I'd love to see a factory loaded jacketed wadcutter with a sharp, clean front edge.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter

Chris
    I’m not in your part of the country, but the last couple of boxes of .38s I’ve purchased were both recent, and wadcutters : S&B, not FGMM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I’m not in your part of the country, but the last couple of boxes of .38s I’ve purchased were both recent, and wadcutters : S&B, not FGMM.
    Here is all 50 count boxes of round nose or 20 count boxes of +P HP. If you go to a store that gets lots of random crap, then you might see some variation, but wadcutters are rare outside gun shows (and not all that common there either).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I'd love to see a factory loaded jacketed wadcutter with a sharp, clean front edge.
    LHS:
    Agreed. That would be a nice carry load for the airweight J frames.
    Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Folks:

My nomination is for Col. Jeff Cooper's Super 9. Bonus points for it being chambered in a Lightweight Commander with S&W adjustable sights. I realize this is basically a 9X23 but I remember Col. Cooper writing about this being a great field gun and have wanted one ever since. Oh and a Bruce Nelson outside the waistband holster (basically a Milt Sparks 55 BN). The lightweight frame is realistically a bad idea but the concept in a Commander length gun is intriguing.

Does anyone have any idea what happened to Col. Cooper's handguns after he passed?

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Another vote for the .356 TSW. The 9 x 23 is fine but it needs a longer action. The .356 fits in a shorter action.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I bought a new 16 gauge H&R Topper about 83 or 84. I’d like to stumble across an 1100 or maybe an 870 in 16 gauge. I occasionally still see shells on store shelves.
    I received a 16 gauge Topper as a Christmas present in 1972. Still have it and a bunch of shells stashed away.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I received a 16 gauge Topper as a Christmas present in 1972. Still have it and a bunch of shells stashed away.
    I saw an old one in a shop today. It looked like a less bulky frame than my mid 80s version. It also had the tang mounted lever like on my dads old 12 gauge H&R.
    There was also a Winchester 37 and a Western Field (tag said made by Stevens) bolt action 16 gauge. It had pretty nice wood for what was made as a cheap gun but they wanted $275 for it.
    There was also a nice looking Stevens pump 16 gauge that the tag said was a Browning design. It looked well cared for. The tag said it was made between about 1912 or so and I think 1935. It was a surprise seeing that many 16s in one place.

Browning made the BPS in 16 gauge as well.
    Bottom eject.
    I had one for a short while, but sold it off and kept my Winchester 12 in 16 gauge instead.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List