Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What Dead Cartridge Would You Revive?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    That one crossed my mind, too.

In my youth, I had a strange fascination with the 7x61 Sharp & Hart, though I never had one built.

The .358 Winchester strikes me as a useful round.
    I don't know the 7x61, will have to look that up.

I love my .35 Whelen and I really like the idea of a .358 win. I have considered converting a Savage 99 to it. Seems like that would be a serious brush / woods gun.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I want to buy some .44 Henry Rimfire, black powder of course. If I could actually shoot it, I am sure I could convince myself to purchase an original yellow boy carbine. I have been close a couple of times when I found some real bargains, but knowing its eternal destiny would be a pure wall hanger, I could not convince myself to go for it.
    Wait, an original 66 is realistically in your budget? And you let a minor annoyance like no rimfire ammo stop you? I start scheming how to possibly shoot those guns (or original Henrys) every time I see one in an old film or museum.

A little searching, and the 44 Russian case is fairly close dimensionally to the 44 rimfire. Case length may not even have to be exact since the heeled bullet rimfires tend to have the chamber longer than the case, but the rim diameter and thickness are close, the base diameter may be the main difference. if the gun in question were loosely chambered (hard to imagine....), and the base could be sized at least a little on the 44 Russian case, then all youd need was a bolt from an Italian gun to start converting, or a gunsmith special based on the original bolt only modified to centerfire. I believe it may have been done by gunsmiths in the past, ans we have some reason to believe some factory guns may have been made in centerfire. In any event, it would all be modifications that wouldnt permanently alter the gun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.44_Henry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.44_Russian
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

.33 Winchester

In a box in the basement of my grandpa's old house I found one cartridge.
    It was a .33 Winchester. I had been doing some shooting (ROTC Rifle Team) and
    had read most of the gun books in the school library but had never heard of the round.
    Only seen the one round, so far, too.
    So, it's my pick to bring back.

According to Wicki, it was chambered in Winchester lever rifles and went out of production in 1940.

Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    In a box in the basement of my grandpa's old house I found one cartridge.
    It was a .33 Winchester. I had been doing some shooting (ROTC Rifle Team) and
    had read most of the gun books in the school library but had never heard of the round.
    Only seen the one round, so far, too.
    So, it's my pick to bring back.

According to Wicki, it was chambered in Winchester lever rifles and went out of production in 1940.
    Yes, it was one of the later chamberings of the 1886 model, and was the forerunner of the 348 Winchester round. 200 gr bullet at around 2200 fps or so. Some older ballistics charts had incorrect data somehow, perhaps a typo nobody caught before publishing of the Shooters Bible. Cases are made quite easily from 45-70 cases necked down in a couple stages. It was considered a fair elk cartridge in its day, but the 348 and model 71 (sort of modernized 1886 action) rifle that came out not long after the 33 was made helped it fade into relative obscurity.

Hornady made 200 gr flat point 338 diameter bullets for it until a few years ago. Ive used them for light loads in a 338 Win Mag rifle.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I want to buy some .44 Henry Rimfire, black powder of course. If I could actually shoot it, I am sure I could convince myself to purchase an original yellow boy carbine. I have been close a couple of times when I found some real bargains, but knowing its eternal destiny would be a pure wall hanger, I could not convince myself to go for it.
    Hey, look....

Converting original 1866 to center fire

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/in...?topic=60404.0

He did all the development work including figuring out the case modifications and bullet mold. The only thing that occurred to me was him having some problem with overall length to feed properly, and later, a correct length bullet but it crowded the rifling. It made me wonder if setting case length might be better done once a workable bullet was found, meaning an adjustment of case length may have allowed him to use one of the molds that were too short. Rimfire chambers with heeled bullets arent as case length critical, so long as the complete cartridge fits OK. A chamber cast would help decide what may work.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

6.5x50mm Arisaka. Only rimless instead of semi-rimmed. Ironically, 6.5x50 actually has a longer case and longer overall length than 6.5 Creedmoor, but more taper in the case, not as acute a shoulder angle, and less case capacity. Because of the lower case capacity and a much lower maximum capacity, it is a very pleasant caliber. The 7.92x57 Mauser, .30-06, .303, 7.62x54R and the like were all overpowered and a rimless 6.5x50 would have been better suited for all rifles during WWII, and medium to large game today.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    The .357 Bain & Davis. Not because a .357 bullet can be hot-rodded into stupidity or turned into a grenade, but because I always thought it would make a good "short-to-almost-midrange" cartridge for a carbine, and one that fed into a chamber more reliably than the .357 Magnum. It would conversely be less problematic in revolvers than the old .38/40 with its excessive case taper.

There are still some graybeards who swear by the .357 B&D, but their numbers are dwindling.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

.32 Rimfire. I would love to be able to shoot grandpa’s old .32 single shot. I think it’s an old Remington.

25-35. I’ve got a nice old Winchester 94 chambered in 25-35 my grandfather bought at an estate sale when he was a young man. It’s one of the upgraded rifles with a half octagon barrel and German silver blade front sight.

6mm Remington. I was given a 6mm Remington for my twelfth birthday. My son has it now. I love that caliber.

280 Remington. I have an old Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in this caliber and I love it!

30 Carbine. Who doesn’t want cheap, plentiful 30 Carbine ammo?

Bonus Points- I want a 38 Super in a 1911 frame made to take a “stack and a half” magazine.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

280 Remington. I have an old Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in this caliber and I love it!
    I would love to hear more about your experience with the 280.

Growing up everyone around me had 270's, and I'd hear 270 this and 270 that all day long. I said I'd one up everybody by getting a 280 one day.

Never did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    6.5x50mm Arisaka. Only rimless instead of semi-rimmed. Ironically, 6.5x50 actually has a longer case and longer overall length than 6.5 Creedmoor, but more taper in the case, not as acute a shoulder angle, and less case capacity. Because of the lower case capacity and a much lower maximum capacity, it is a very pleasant caliber. The 7.92x57 Mauser, .30-06, .303, 7.62x54R and the like were all overpowered and a rimless 6.5x50 would have been better suited for all rifles during WWII, and medium to large game today.
    That is what the Germans did in 1916(b) when they captured Russian Federov Avtomats. Seen in the Black Chamber series, I think the second or third book.

However, in the day, the Japanese went the other way and introduced the 7.7mm after they were already at war, leaving them with two rifles to feed, not to mention machine guns in 6.5, 6.5 "lite", 7.7mm rimless (Arisaka), and 7.7mm semirim HMG. And the IJN with real .303 Lewis guns.

The Italians tried the same trick to go from 6.5 to 7.35 but could not manage it, many of the rifles converted back or sold off.

It was only later that the Germans of our timeline pushed intermediate cartridges.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List