Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What Dead Cartridge Would You Revive?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I want a modernized hot loaded .32 ACP round, so not completely a dead cartridge but nearly so, to go with it something the size of Ruger LCP max with a magazine of something like 16 or so rounds, just because.
    I get what you are saying, but I think there might be some complications with the semi-rimmed .32 ACP case.

222 Remington. For dad, he loved that round. I had a few over the years. I loved it too.

.50-70. Had a late 1800s Rolling Block Remington carbine in this caliber, and it was a total hoot to shoot

The 300 savage.
    Had a 99 in the caliber, what a great shooter.
    I wish the 16 gauge was more popular as well.
    I hunt 16 all the time, in a Winchester model 12 and a Stevens SxS.
    Great upland guns.
    A local dealer could not get rid of his 16 gauge ammo.
    I bought all 5 cases, I'm set for life.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    For long gun

30-40 Krag, especially with the 220 RN loading. It is such an easy shooting cartridge, that will handle most North American game at reasonable distances, and won't kill you or your shoulder. I have a sporterized Krag carbine, and when my nieces and nephews were younger, I sued t take them shooting. And all of them, after shooting ARs, AKs, shotguns, .22LRs, and different hunting rifles, preferred the Krag to everything.

For handgun

I echo what someone said about the .32 HR mag. While still in production and not hard to find, I don't think there has been much T&E the past 10 years or so on optimizing HPs for self-defense through a snub. I wish some company would put just a tad bit of study into that.

I also would love to see an ammo manufacturer put a bit of time into looking at the heavy loads for 38 special, reminiscent of the old British 38-200 ammo. If 148 WC are decent in performance, and don't beat you up shooting through a snub, a part of my brain thinks something like a 200 gr WC moving at 750 fps-ish may be an even better solution.
    FWIW, and you probably already knew it, there are still two or three boutique manufacturers turning out the 220 grain, .30-40.

Stepson was very excited to find these in stock a couple months back and I bought him a couple boxes:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/30-40-kr...3040krag2.html

Haven't actually shot this in the Krag with him so no idea of the characteristics and quality...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    257 Roberts.

Always liked the name.

My wife just purchased an antique book on big game hunting just because it looks cool and she wanted it as a decoration. Turns out the author is the inventor of the 257 Roberts.

Copyright 1947

Name:  20210808_154504.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  20210808_154500.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  22.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I get what you are saying, but I think there might be some complications with the semi-rimmed .32 ACP case.
    That's basically what the .30 Pedersen, or 7.65 French Long, is. A rimless higher velocity. 32 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    FWIW, and you probably already knew it, there are still two or three boutique manufacturers turning out the 220 grain, .30-40.

Stepson was very excited to find these in stock a couple months back and I bought him a couple boxes:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/30-40-kr...3040krag2.html

Haven't actually shot this in the Krag with him so no idea of the characteristics and quality...

Thank you. I appreciate that. I was aware of them, and had planned on getting some of their stuff. I am really hoping though that at least of the big guys like Federal would do it. Boutique ammo makers are great, but it would be cool to see this available at Walmart, or one of the big box sporting goods stores.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Thank you. I appreciate that. I was aware of them, and had planned on getting some of their stuff. I am really hoping though that at least of the big guys like Federal would do it. Boutique ammo makers are great, but it would be cool to see this available at Walmart, or one of the big box sporting goods stores.

What would be great is for Pedersoli or another one the Italian firms doing repros of the Krag sporters. Having new production guns would drive ammo production.

User Tag List