Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What Dead Cartridge Would You Revive?

I'd love to see 7.65x20mm French Longue make a comeback, along with modern bullet design/construction. Call it .32 Super Comp for the US market. I'll wager you could drive a 100gr or 110gr pill at a fair clip, and the sectional density should allow pretty decent penetration at that weight. Low projo weight would mean low recoil, but I bet you could also get the pressure up enough to drive a comp to drop recoil even more. If it could be made to pass the FBI penetration standards, think how many you could stuff into a typical modern service or carry pistol.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    Just saw the thread, had to read 9 pages to be sure I wouldn't be repeating anyone else. Since I'm not, I doubt what I want will come back.

.25-20 Winchester.

I love quarter bores and this is one of the less seen these days. Gentle and relatively quiet. Powder miser. Large enough to cast without too much trouble but small enough to be easy on your lead supply. A reminder of another time and another country than the one we now inhabit.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    What would be great is for Pedersoli or another one the Italian firms doing repros of the Krag sporters. Having new production guns would drive ammo production.

And an affordable (under $2k) repro Winchester 1895 in 30-40.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Good enough for Kermit Roosevelt to schwack half the Deer-Like Things in Africa

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    With the revised magazine setup from the Russian contract rifles, so you dont have the janky loading procedure of the regular rifles.

But an under $2k Krag sporter would probably be easier to achieve.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I'd love to see 7.65x20mm French Longue make a comeback, along with modern bullet design/construction. Call it .32 Super Comp for the US market. I'll wager you could drive a 100gr or 110gr pill at a fair clip, and the sectional density should allow pretty decent penetration at that weight. Low projo weight would mean low recoil, but I bet you could also get the pressure up enough to drive a comp to drop recoil even more. If it could be made to pass the FBI penetration standards, think how many you could stuff into a typical modern service or carry pistol.
    Several years ago, I thought this up all on my own and then went Googling and found I wasn't first.

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/7.92%C3%9724mm

I think the guy's big problem was that, like many others, he wanted to be the smartest firearms engineer in the world and reinvent bullets, rather than just settling for building momentum for a really great wildcat idea.

That cartridge loaded with 115gr Gold Dots would be excellent.

It's frustrating even without the Belgian project taking off that the .312 115gr GD is now out of production, because it would be superb in .327 Federal. Seems like, at least before the last year and a half, it should have been a no-brainer for Vista to set up the presses and do a run for components as well as offer it as factory ammo every couple years. Maybe .327 Fed guys were just dumb in the past and wanted all the FPS, rather than a little more sectional density.

-----------------
    What, besides history and a really long neck that should make throats last forever, does .30-40 Krag offer that .300 Savage doesn't?

And to contribute to the thread topic, I'd kinda like to see .257 Kimber revived as .25-204. Same case volume but slightly Creedmoorified geometry and brass that's more available.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

.401 PowerMag

This is the revolver cartridge that the industry should have gotten behind, instead of creating the .41 Magnum. The problem with the .41 Magnum is that the bullet diameter is too close to .44 Magnum (.410 vs .429). This confines a six shot .41 Magnum to an N frame sized revolver. Most people (then and now) do not see the point in going with a .41 over a .44 when the revolver is the same size. A true rimmed .40 caliber Magnum, on a mid size frame, would be a more size efficient offering.

A .401 L frame, with a half lug barrel, would be a wonderful package. Companies could also load milder defensive rounds that would do anything a .41 Special could do.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Oh my. Any idea if it's length allowed it work a little more naturally in 1911s?

https://gunsmagazine.com/gear/the-356-tsw/
    .356TSW was going to be my pic as well. While the overall length is intended to fit the smaller (9 mm) frame guns, I believe it would be less problematic than 9mm in a 1911 due to its straight walled case. (Kind of like the .40 being a non issue in 1911 guns).

I'm a huge fan of the .45Colt.
    While an ancient cartridge, it is still viable for the hunt and personal defense.
    Sadly, from what I see, there are fewer 'new' firearms offered in the grand old Colt cartridge.
    It's been eclipsed by the 44 mag, 454 casull, and 460.

I have the Smith mountain Gun and a Winchester Trapper in the .45, excellent guns.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the .45Colt.
    While an ancient cartridge, it is still viable for the hunt and personal defense.
    Sadly, from what I see, there are fewer 'new' firearms offered in the grand old Colt cartridge.
    It's been eclipsed by the 44 mag, 454 casull, and 460.

I have the Smith mountain Gun and a Winchester Trapper in the .45, excellent guns.
    There was a time where I really wanted to buy a Ruger Blackhawk 45 and load it up to 44mag levels. I spent way too much time reading articles by John Taffin and others in that SA sixgun world.

I've owned (or own) DA large frame revolvers in 45acp/ar (625jm), 45 Colt (25-5), and 44mag (629 and Redhawk). The 45Colt is kind of an odd duck in that its typical factory loads are not really good for SD or hunting, just punching paper. Ammo companies all assume if you shoot 45Colt you are a CASer. If you have a 44mag, you have many choices in ammo and can still select 44spec for paper punching at roughly the same cost as 45Colt. I think to get any sort of utility out of the 45Colt you have to be a handloader.

Not to disparage the 45Colt in any way, but I've really come to appreciate the 45acp/ar's flexibility in a wheelgun as a handloading proposition. At the low-to-medium range, it'll do anything the 45Colt will do, but with less powder (similar to Lost River's work with 44Russion and 38Colt). The 45Colt will go hotter, upwards of 44mag levels, if your gun will tolerate it, but I don't shoot rounds like that anymore as my hands and elbows can't take it.

Chris

User Tag List