Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Bikes and Hills

E-Bikes and Hills

My commute involves several 15% grade hills. And is uphill both ways (both going to work and coming home). I tried a 1000watt E-Scooter which could barely get up the hills and had inadequate braking, leading to a crash. So that thing went back to the MFG, because it wouldn't work for me.

I need something where I can reasonably get up to speed in city traffic, going uphill. I can pedal assist and don't mind standing in the pedals to pump. But it would be ideal if I can climb these hills at a steady pace without needing to get off and walk the bike uphill or work myself into a lather (remember this is a commuter not an exercise machine).

I'm looking at e-bikes. Seems like a 750-1000w mid-drive motor would be ideal? How durable are these motors? I'm seeing a lot of plastic gears which doesn't inspire confidence. Brands to avoid, brands that are GTG? More power less power?

Weight is a concern, I need to carry this onto a ferry and at least up one flight of stairs every day. So it should be light enough to carry somewhat easily. Range is less of a concern, my total mileage per day is ~8 miles. But at least a 1/4 of that is on these steep hills, maybe closer to a 1/3.

Budget: Under 2gs is ideal, but I'm not sure that is feasible so let's say under 3gs. I'm fine to spend it, if the bike is good quality and I can potential recoup a significant portion of the cost in resell when I move.

I tried the local bike shop here and they weren't helpful.

Have a look at Trek e-bikes. They have a Bosch drive system and torque sensor.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I would tend to agree about looking at Trek and other "real" bike brands like Specialized, Cannondale, Orbea, etc., for an e-bike. The ones which basically look like mopeds seem pretty weird to me - if I was going to buy an e-bike, I'd personally rather have something that's designed to be a bike and has an electric motor integrated into that design vs something fat/chunky/aerodynamically bad. My taste may of course differ from yours in that regard, and if so, that's 100% fine.

One thing that may be tough is that bikes in general are in a pretty ugly supply situation right now, and that's going to apply to e-bikes as well. I've been doing a bunch of research lately on what I would like to be my next road bike, and basically everything with the featureset I want is perpetually out of stock. Every time I check on the specific model which appeals to me the most at present (Orbea Orca M30), they're either unavailable to order or a year+ wait. There are a few local bike shops which carry some of the bikes I'd consider, but I've yet to see one actually available in the frame size I would prefer. Given that e-bikes use a bunch of the same components as regular bikes plus the electric motor stuff, I expect their situation is just as bad.

Good luck to you shopping for one.

Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I hear good things about these Dutch commuter bikes: https://www.vanmoof.com/en-US
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I hear good things about these Dutch commuter bikes: https://www.vanmoof.com/en-US
    That's a good suggestion. I've heard good things as well.
    They have a Seattle store where one can book test rides:

2235 8th Ave, 98121
    Seattle, Washington
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    This is a situation where finding a good local bike shop would probably be a good idea. In addition to test rides and making sure you get a bike that fits is set up and assembled well, they will also be able to handle any warranty service, and spare parts etc. and being local they’ll have good advice on things like tires, and clothes that work well for the environment there.

But, as mentioned, bike stuff is as hard if not harder to find than guns and ammo right now. Good luck.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The Netherlands is flat as a pancake. Check their hill climbing ability.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The Netherlands is flat as a pancake. Check their hill climbing ability.
    True, but they've been into the bike bicycle commuting lifestyle for a long time now and have this concept down pat. Another strong Dutch bike brand with good commuter style e-bikes is Gazelle. Their bikes get pretty stellar reviews and would be high on my list if I were shopping for a e-bike to get me to work.

User Tag List