Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2-Light Solution

I ordered an OKW handheld today and expect it to make an excellent partner to my Stiletto Pro.
    The Pro makes for an excellent utility light with its 25lm low being perfect for things like paperwork at night or when I don't want to blow my night eyes. The 600lm mid level makes a wall of light that is great for general lighting needs and the 1000lm high gives that extra blast of light if it's really needed. The reason I consider it primarily a utility light is the button layout... The dual forward buttons can be awkward to use and you must remember to hit the right side button to activate the light while the left side button is only a battery meter... And of course this orientation changes if the light is flipped around in your hand... a single central button would be infinitely better. It does have a "tactical" tail switch but it's small and easy to miss sometimes. Also, my tail switch went out on mine and I had to send it in but it was fixed for free and returned to me in less than 2 weeks. The pocket clip adds to the utility factor as it can be clipped to a hat brim to act as a head lamp.
    I except the OKW to ride along in a primarily defensive role, for when and if I need to melt eyeballs but I still expect it to get some use in a secondary utility role. There are always times when more light is appreciated, especially when ambient light is present which tends to negate a more diffuse beam pattern. And for when I really want to know what is happening 100 yds or more away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I ordered an OKW handheld today and expect it to make an excellent partner to my Stiletto Pro.
    I look forward to your feedback! I think your reasoning and intended use is spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    Don’t spend much time outside at night, or even inside poorly lit buildings?
    Over the years, as a private citizen, I've never used or needed a light of high lumens when I'm out and about in hours of low light. I've carried Surefire 6P, 6R, 9P, G2, and E2. (I used everything but the E2 when I worked patrol.) When I got my first Streamlight Microstream I quit carrying a larger more powerful light because I don't need it and I don't realistically see myself needing it, given the locations I'm out at night are illuminated well enough to see any adversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    Over the years, as a private citizen, I've never used or needed a light of high lumens when I'm out and about in hours of low light. I've carried Surefire 6P, 6R, 9P, G2, and E2. (I used everything but the E2 when I worked patrol.) When I got my first Streamlight Microstream I quit carrying a larger more powerful light because I don't need it and I don't realistically see myself needing it, given the locations I'm out at night are illuminated well enough to see any adversary.
    So you've carried and used "powerful" lights and determined that you currently don't need one as an EDC item. I can fully respect that.
    I work at night as a truck driver so I need lots of light every day to do my job and for those occasionally sketchy places I have to park.

NH Shooter,

good info

at your convenience... can you show the backside of your light holsters?

for decades as LEO, I carried my handcuff at 11:45 and with someone what of a belly (HA), I found my duty handheld tac light would fit perfect behind and on top of the cuff case and my belly as retention. It worked for a while till I started dropping the light.

I often thought of designing a piece of kydex to grab the bezel as retention and it fit on the 2.5" belt behind my cuff case, but my role has changed and I carry less on my belt these days and the project just went to the back of my mind.

However from a off duty standpoint... I like the horizontal carry option.

thanks in advance
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    NH Shooter,

at your convenience... can you show the backside of your light holsters?
    The Daranick holster (on the right in the photo below) uses a standard 1.5" plastic clip on the back like this one - https://www.amazon.com/Kydex-Holster.../dp/B011JA03ME

I wear it clip facing up (more comfortable) with no issue, the notch is so deep it fully covers my Wilderness Instructor belt folded over and is very secure.

The KyTex holster has the clip molded in with two fingers on the end. I heated the fingers and bent them a little further to give them better purchase on the belt.

You can get a view here of how the kydex is folded over on the top to form the clip - https://kytexgear.com/product/horizo...ghtstick-copy/

You can get another view here;

The E2XTD holster you can see the clip secured on the left and the hook protruding past the holster on the right.

To ensure retention of the light, the finger lanyard is made the right length to tuck into the holster on the front. Neither light has ever walked out on me, but securing the end of the lanyard is easy to do.

I'll grab a few shots and post them ASAP.

I appreciate the info. I have been carrying my Tactician with a back up Streamlight Stylus Pro as my utility light. Both of them are worn somewhere on me using the pocket clips.

I would like my Tactician on a horizontal belt carry... and will definitely look into that.

I am a finger loop bungee kinda dude. It has been working for me. I like the compactness of your lights, but I have 3XL hands and long fingers.... not sure how well a stub light would work.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I am a finger loop bungee kinda dude. It has been working for me. I like the compactness of your lights, but I have 3XL hands and long fingers.... not sure how well a stub light would work.
    Both of the lights I have posted in this thread are optimized for use with the syringe grip, at the expense of being less-than-optimal with others. I find that with the way these lights are configured, this grip works extremely well for me - both with and without a pistol. Interestingly with my longer "straight body" lights (without a grip ring, standard clicky tailcap switch), the syringe grip does not work well for me.

At least for these two, I default to the syringe grip which negates any ergonomic challenge of their stubby length, and makes carrying and concealing them all the easier. I also find that pulling them from the belt holster is very fast - I can grip the light with the syringe hold and immediately get them into action without having to reposition my grip once they clear kydex.

Site Supporter
    Name:  03BD5455-9296-43EF-841C-30429B710B7A.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  23.3 KB

What I usually carry, off duty as well as on duty. The SF gives me a good 500 lumens with good throw and a “push through” tail cap switch. The Rovy Von is IIRC about 300 lumen on high, but starts out pretty low. It also has side lights and can double as a lantern. Good for admin tasks and a lot of general light needs around the house. It is small enough you don’t notice you are carrying it, which is nice until it goes into the washer (where they don’t fare very well lol).
    Polite Professional

Cool thread. Sorry if this is a dumb question, where are y'all getting the syringe grip rubber thingy and lanyard loop?
    Last edited by J0hnny; 08-18-2021 at 08:26 PM.

User Tag List