Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2-Light Solution

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Through all the threads about EDC light recommendations, the "common thread" woven into most of them is the desire to have a "one light fits all" solution. IMO, this is not the most optimal approach and is why I carry two lights. A few points I'd like to start with;

1. As with all things EDC, comfort and convenience of carry is paramount. None of us want to walk around all day, every day feeling like we're wearing a duty belt. IMO, EDC items must not only offer utility we need, but also must be "transparent" in this regard.
    2. There are two primary reasons I keep a light (or lights) on my person at all times: (1) for general, utilitarian use and (2) as a defensive tool to be used alone or in conjunction with a pistol. It is when we try to make a single light truly useful for both that we end up with something that is not ideal for either.

For an administrative light, something small and lightweight rides in a front pocket. In my case I'm back to carrying an old Foursevens Quark Tactical QT2L-X in a 1-cell configuration due to its small size and light weight. I have the light set for 60 lumens with the bezel backed off and turbo-mode (780 lumens) with it tightened. It rarely (if ever) is used in turbo mode. Due to its small size and light weight, it "disappears" in a front pants pocket. Though I use a 16340 Li-ion cell, it will easily give the 60 lumens of output on a single CR123 battery. If I were to purchase a new light for this role, I'd roll with a new Foursevens Mini MK III, which is even smaller and lighter than the Quark.

Having a small general-purpose light that rides unnoticed in a front pocket frees me to set up my second light specifically for defensive use for exactly the way I would use it. Here I go the custom route, though there are certainly some off-the-shelf lights that could serve this role. For this light I want (1) dead simple, single mode operation; (2) absolute reliability and just like my EDC pistol (3) quick access with secure carry.

For this role, this is the "light saber" I have detailed in this thread. It is intended for use with a syringe grip which for me works perfectly in conjunction with a pistol. Using a Malkoff E2XTD head, this light is "only" 650 lumens but has a tightly focused beam producing 70,000 lux (candela), which is devastating to low-light adapted vision where a light would be needed for SD purposes;

For secure carry with fast, unhindered access I carry this light in a horizontal belt holster at the 11:45 position, between my belt buckle and first belt loop. The holster was made by Daranich Tactical (looks like they're out of business now) that I modified for use with this light and for horizontal carry. Due to my "bit of a belly" physique, this set up rides on my belt every day completely unnoticed for both concealment and carry-comfort;

I consider the belt-carried light the same way I do my Walther PPS in a JMCK #3 IWB holster - an essential EDC tool for self-defensive purposes - thus they always ride together. I wouldn't try to find a gun that is optimal for both self-defense and rabbit hunting, and I see no reason why I need to compromise on a light that I'd have to depend on in a SD scenario.

In closing, IMO there is much to be said for carrying two lights, one for general (non-critical) use and the second 100%, no compromise optimized for SD purposes.
    Two questions about the "Light Saber":

1) How much runtime does that setup provide?

2) How prone is the switch setup to unintentional activation as compared to a conventional switch? (I would guess that without a constant on function, the issue is substantially mitigated?)

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Two questions about the "Light Saber":

1) How much runtime does that setup provide?

2) How prone is the switch setup to unintentional activation as compared to a conventional switch? (I would guess that without a constant on function, the issue is substantially mitigated?)
    1. Not much. This is the direct-drive head that has no current regulation. I'm using it with an IMR cell that's capable of delivering 10+ amps and the ZeroRes switch has no spring - direct metal-on-metal contact - so there is no voltage loss through the switch. My guess is maybe seven minutes, but it would get too hot to hold if left on. Hell, the damned thing might burst into flames if left on continuously that long.

It is intended solely for "flash-and-dash" scenarios, less than 20 - 30 seconds per activation, at which point the head is already mighty warm. Just placing my hand in the beam it's nasty hot.

2. Not at all. It's like a SF twisty without the button and spring. The momentary operation is due entirely to the tolerances in the threads. Just like a twisty, back the tailcap off a touch to completely eliminate any activation.

It's really a very specialized light that requires Lego and some minor part modifications. But it's totally bad ass and will absolutely deprive someone of their vision in a low-light setting at typical self-defense distances (21 feet and under).

How bright is it? At that distance at night, it's uncomfortable to just look at a surface being illuminated with it, and just observing will result in retinal bleaching leaving a pronounced dark spot in the vision that lasts a minute or two. That's at 4.2 ounces and under 4-inches in length, with perfect ergonomics for a syringe hold. No way I'd want to be on the receiving end.

I'm always happy to help and provide full build instructions / guidance if interested.

1. Not much. This is the direct-drive head that has no current regulation. I'm using it with an IMR cell that's capable of delivering 10+ amps and the ZeroRes switch has no spring - direct metal-on-metal contact - so there is no voltage loss through the switch. My guess is maybe seven minutes, but it would get too hot to hold if left on. Hell, the damned thing might burst into flames if left on continuously that long.

It is intended solely for "flash-and-dash" scenarios, less than 20 - 30 seconds per activation, at which point the head is already mighty warm. Just placing my hand in the beam it's nasty hot.

2. Not at all. It's like a SF twisty without the button and spring. The momentary operation is due entirely to the tolerances in the threads. Just like a twisty, back the tailcap off a touch to completely eliminate any activation.

It's really a very specialized light that requires Lego and some minor part modifications. But it's totally bad ass and will absolutely deprive someone of their vision in a low-light setting at typical self-defense distances (21 feet and under).

How bright is it? At that distance at night, it's uncomfortable to just look at a surface being illuminated with it, and just observing will result in retinal bleaching leaving a pronounced dark spot in the vision that lasts a minute or two. That's at 4.2 ounces and under 4-inches in length, with perfect ergonomics for a syringe hold. No way I'd want to be on the receiving end.

I'm always happy to help and provide full build instructions / guidance if interested.
    As awesome as your custom light is I think the easy button now would be a Modlite OKW on the 18350 body with the Thyrm Switchback... Should be the same size and output (680lm, 69,000cd) but with a 35 minute runtime and a similarly effective activation device.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    As awesome as your custom light is I think the easy button now would be a Modlite OKW on the 18350 body with the Thyrm Switchback... Should be the same size and output (680lm, 69,000cd) but with a 35 minute runtime and a similarly effective activation device.
    I agree that would be a great alternative for those who don't enjoy flashlight tinkering. I would buy one in a heartbeat to fill this role.

As a note, runtime claims are often hard to decipher. For example Malkoff states this for the E2XTD head;

The full output runtime on a 16650 2500ma battery is approximately 10-15 minutes continuous runtime. It will then continue with a 10-15 minute continuous drop off in output.

"Full output" is generally considered down to 50% of rated output.

Modlite states this for the OKW head;

Runtime is about 80 minutes with 18650 and about 35 minutes with the smaller 18350 cells.

In both cases, the total claimed runtime is usually down to 2.5 volts when the cell's protection circuit opens.

In the end, the Malkoff E2XTD and Modlite OKW heads are virtually identical in performance and are similarly priced. I do believe the way I have my light configured to deliver maximum current the 70,000 lux/candela rating is very conservative based on side-by-side comparison to my Hound Dog Super which is rated at 75,000 lux/candela.

Both Malkoff and Modlite are top-tier products and IMO, far preferable to any of the Chicom alternatives for serious use.

Site Supporter

Thank you for the information. I really like that setup. Since I tend to prioritize runtime over absolute maximum output, I would likely try one of Mslkoff’s heads with a lower output.

My other concern is other family members who might pick up and use the light without an understanding of its specialized purpose and the resulting best practices in using the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

My EDC light is a single AAA battery powered Streamlight Microstream. I clip it to the outer corner of my left (weakside) front pocket. I don't notice it's there until I need it. I use if frequently.

I don't carry any other light. I used to (my last "defensive" light was a Surefire E2 Executive) but I just don't see the need for one. Just more junk to carry (that I'll probably never use).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    My EDC light is a single AAA battery powered Streamlight Microstream. I clip it to the outer corner of my left (weakside) front pocket. I don't notice it's there until I need it. I use if frequently.

I don't carry any other light. I used to (my last "defensive" light was a Surefire E2 Executive) but I just don't see the need for one. Just more junk to carry (that I'll probably never use).
    Don’t spend much time outside at night, or even inside poorly lit buildings?

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    Don’t spend much time outside at night, or even inside poorly lit buildings?
    I don't get it either, but at least he has a light... That's more than 99% of the rest of the crowd who think their cell phone is a flashlight.

The primary light I carry is a microstream USB.

I have cars and a backpacks full of higher output flashlights

If I feel I need a higher output flashlight I will pocket it.

Between the microstream and a G2X either pro or tactical or Malkoff with warm HO head 98 or so percent of my lighting needs are taken care of.

Most of rest are wants not needs.

I would consider a mod light for my tool kit except the color temperature is terrible and the reflection off of smoke and mist/fog does not work for my eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My admin light is my iPhone. I'm still very happy with the Malkoff Bodyguard 2 in a 1-cell body.
    I like mine too!

This one is set up the same way and uses an 18500 2000 mAh cell. Rated at 1,000 lumens with an unofficial lux/candela rating of 12,000 (provided to me by by Gene Malkoff), the beam pattern of the BG is very different than the E2XTD, providing a broader beam with lots of spill. Some (who have not used the BG) think the step-down to 250 lumens after eight seconds is a disadvantage, but for an EDC light it works well. You can easily give the switch a blip to instantly bring it back to 1,000 lumens for another eight seconds, or let it run at 250 which hugely extends the runtime. If I need to run the light for a while, I simply tighten down the tail cap and let it run in continuous mode at the reduced output, which is more than enough for most normal use.

I also have a belt holster for this light which is a cut-down horizontal carrier from Kytex Gear;

Carrying both, one on either side of my belt buckle, is something I occasionally do because each serves a different purpose and are very comfortable to carry;

I think of the E2XTD as a "weaponized light" for situations where blinding light could be used as a deterrent, with or without the pistol. The Bodyguard is used in non-threatening situations where the pocket-carried Quark isn't going to cut it, but can also be used with a pistol if needed. At least for me, small lights like the Quark do not have the ergonomics to use effectively with a pistol.

Call me weird for (sometimes) carrying three lights, but it's really painless to do so (also bear in mind I do not use a WML on my EDC PPS). When it's dark and something goes bump, it's nice to have options - including the option to hand off one of the lights to someone with me. If things were to get sporty I sure wouldn't want to depend on just the Quark, but for the normal day-to-day mundane tasks it's perfect and gets more use than any of my other lights.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 08-14-2021 at 01:15 PM.

User Tag List