Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2-Light Solution

The 2-Light Solution

Through all the threads about EDC light recommendations, the "common thread" woven into most of them is the desire to have a "one light fits all" solution. IMO, this is not the most optimal approach and is why I carry two lights. A few points I'd like to start with;

1. As with all things EDC, comfort and convenience of carry is paramount. None of us want to walk around all day, every day feeling like we're wearing a duty belt. IMO, EDC items must not only offer utility we need, but also must be "transparent" in this regard.
    2. There are two primary reasons I keep a light (or lights) on my person at all times: (1) for general, utilitarian use and (2) as a defensive tool to be used alone or in conjunction with a pistol. It is when we try to make a single light truly useful for both that we end up with something that is not ideal for either.

For an administrative light, something small and lightweight rides in a front pocket. In my case I'm back to carrying an old Foursevens Quark Tactical QT2L-X in a 1-cell configuration due to its small size and light weight. I have the light set for 60 lumens with the bezel backed off and turbo-mode (780 lumens) with it tightened. It rarely (if ever) is used in turbo mode. Due to its small size and light weight, it "disappears" in a front pants pocket. Though I use a 16340 Li-ion cell, it will easily give the 60 lumens of output on a single CR123 battery. If I were to purchase a new light for this role, I'd roll with a new Foursevens Mini MK III, which is even smaller and lighter than the Quark.

Having a small general-purpose light that rides unnoticed in a front pocket frees me to set up my second light specifically for defensive use for exactly the way I would use it. Here I go the custom route, though there are certainly some off-the-shelf lights that could serve this role. For this light I want (1) dead simple, single mode operation; (2) absolute reliability and just like my EDC pistol (3) quick access with secure carry.

For this role, this is the "light saber" I have detailed in this thread. It is intended for use with a syringe grip which for me works perfectly in conjunction with a pistol. Using a Malkoff E2XTD head, this light is "only" 650 lumens but has a tightly focused beam producing 70,000 lux (candela), which is devastating to low-light adapted vision where a light would be needed for SD purposes;

For secure carry with fast, unhindered access I carry this light in a horizontal belt holster at the 11:45 position, between my belt buckle and first belt loop. The holster was made by Daranich Tactical (looks like they're out of business now) that I modified for use with this light and for horizontal carry. Due to my "bit of a belly" physique, this set up rides on my belt every day completely unnoticed for both concealment and carry-comfort;

I consider the belt-carried light the same way I do my Walther PPS in a JMCK #3 IWB holster - an essential EDC tool for self-defensive purposes - thus they always ride together. I wouldn't try to find a gun that is optimal for both self-defense and rabbit hunting, and I see no reason why I need to compromise on a light that I'd have to depend on in a SD scenario.

In closing, IMO there is much to be said for carrying two lights, one for general (non-critical) use and the second 100%, no compromise optimized for SD purposes.

Your post could have been written by myself with only the light choices different. I agree 100% with your assessment... Too many compromises to fit different roles creates something that is shit at everything.
    My current carry is a SF Stiletto Pro as my utility light and a 3-Cell Lens Light as my tactical light but I will soon be replacing it with a Modlite PLHv2.
    I've also carried a light horizontally at 11:30 on my belt for decades and agree that it's the perfect spot, allowing instant access by either hand. I only changed that up with the Stiletto and I often miss the option but with AIWB carry the light creates an odd bulge at my waistline.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I agree 100% with your assessment... Too many compromises to fit different roles creates something that is shit at everything.
    In my case, this did not become totally apparent until I took a low-light course at the Sig Academy. I brought along what I thought would work well and put it to the test. Some of my assumptions panned out, some did not.

It was interesting to see major fail by some of the equipment used by other students in the class, the worst offender being "programmable" lights. It was eye opening to watch a student activate a light expecting full output and the light activating in some other mode, and the student's reaction to it.

I was also surprised that I was the only one using some kind of lanyard to retain the light while needing both hands for dealing with stoppages (dummy rounds inserted somewhere in the stack). It became obvious that unless one has the hand size and dexterity to retain the light in-hand, moving the light to a pocket or in the armpit slowed things down considerably. I lost count of how many times lights hit the floor.

Along with the obvious skill set building, I learned first hand what works and what doesn't when it comes to using a hand held light in conjunction with a pistol. I have since further refined my SD lights for this specific application as described here and in other posts.

For all of those mundane non-SD lighting tasks, a small general-purpose light riding in my pocket works just fine.

I definitely agree with the concept.

I've carried a Surefire EDCL1-T for a few years and think it is one of the best options for a light with two different outputs since the controls are so simple. Light push for low, hard push for high. No programming or twisting or anything like that. I never had any issues where I got low when I wanted high, but would occasionally get high when I wanted low. Ultimately, I found myself just using my cell phone flashlight or the flashlight option on my smart watch instead of the low mode.

With that realization, I've switched to a Modlite PLHv2 for my main light and just use my phone for task type stuff. I'm not a fan of belt carry for a light (and since getting my Enigma have been wearing a belt a lot less anyways) so I don't always have pocket space for more than one actual flashlight so using my phone is working great. I have considered getting something small but slightly more powerful to put on my keychain though.

I came to the same conclusion. My "admin" light is a Microstream rechargeable from Streamlight. I have a Modlite OKW for my "duty/defensive" use light.

Of course my pistol has a TLR-7A as well.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I have a Modlite OKW for my "duty/defensive" use light.
    My son carries a handheld OKW and I'm still slightly on the fence about getting it or the PLHv2... The main role of the light will be as a defensive tool, and a distant second would be the occasion "what is that way off in the darkness?" utility role.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    My son carries a handheld OKW and I'm still slightly on the fence about getting it or the PLHv2... The main role of the light will be as a defensive tool, and a distant second would be the occasion "what is that way off in the darkness?" utility role.
    That's why I went with the OKW. I have plenty of other lights in the house/car/etc. If I'm using the OKW to blind someone I want them BLIND for an hour or two.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    If I'm using the OKW to blind someone I want them BLIND for an hour or two.
    That's what high-candela lights excel at.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    That's what high-candela lights excel at.
    Yessir! I think it was some of your posts a while back that convinced me to drop the SF EDCL-2T and adopt the Modlite.

My admin light is my iPhone. I'm still very happy with the Malkoff Bodyguard 2 in a 1-cell body.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List