Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weird New Stoppage with G19

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Ban state here, so mag options are limited.

I try to minimize usage of my 15-round OEM mags because I don't have a legal way to repair or replace them*. Hence the use of magpuls for range work. For what it's worth, they've worked fine for a few thousand rounds. But based on what others here have said, I'm aware they aren't the top tier choice.

I could always use OEM 10-round mags, but my experience with them hasn't been great.

(*I originally acquired the standard capacity mags through legal channels, but that's not an option now).
    That sucks and is unfortunate. Could be my future here also in the upper left corner of the country.

If it's a permanent thing it might be worth transitioning to guns that have reliable 10 round magazines. Or guns designed to only carry 10 rounds.

At one point California was allowing regular capacity Glock magazines that were riveted to only accept 10 rounds. Don't know if that's a thing there anymore or if that would work for you.

Standard capacity magazines are likely not a great solution if you only have access to a few as they are a wear item and if you can't practice with them and test them with your ammo it's no bueno. Me personally I would rather have 10 confident rounds than 15 maybe rounds in magazines I was not able to vet properly. YMMV. Good luck.

If you're limited on mag options, that sucks. But - having problems with a couple Pmags isn't the end, it could just be THOSE pmags. At the very least sideline the ones you're getting malfs out of. One of the issues with the glock Pmags is that they are less consistent. you might buy 5 and get 4 good and 1 problem child in any batch.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Ban state here, so mag options are limited.

I try to minimize usage of my 15-round OEM mags because I don't have a legal way to repair or replace them*. Hence the use of magpuls for range work. For what it's worth, they've worked fine for a few thousand rounds. But based on what others here have said, I'm aware they aren't the top tier choice.

I could always use OEM 10-round mags, but my experience with them hasn't been great.

(*I originally acquired the standard capacity mags through legal channels, but that's not an option now).
    That is indeed a pickle. Have you tried ETS 10 rounders? Cheap enough that it may be worth experimenting.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    That sucks and is unfortunate. Could be my future here also in the upper left corner of the country.

If it's a permanent thing it might be worth transitioning to guns that have reliable 10 round magazines. Or guns designed to only carry 10 rounds.

At one point California was allowing regular capacity Glock magazines that were riveted to only accept 10 rounds. Don't know if that's a thing there anymore or if that would work for you.

Standard capacity magazines are likely not a great solution if you only have access to a few as they are a wear item and if you can't practice with them and test them with your ammo it's no bueno. Me personally I would rather have 10 confident rounds than 15 maybe rounds in magazines I was not able to vet properly. YMMV. Good luck.
    Thanks. And all your points are valid. I'm cautiously optimistic the mag ban will be over-turned. Naive perhaps, but hope springs eternal. If that doesn't happen, my contingency plans are to either go back to HK, chop the Glock grips to accept G26 mags, or move somewhere more accommodating. In the meantime though, I'd like to carry and train with G19s because, well, for all the reasons we like the Glock 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    That is indeed a pickle. Have you tried ETS 10 rounders? Cheap enough that it may be worth experimenting.
    I have not. I vaguely recall an older magazine thread that wasn't very positive about ETS. But at $15 a pop I might try a couple for range use.

@TheNewbie - I haven't weighed the trigger. It's up there tho.
    Last edited by Mark D; 08-08-2021 at 11:10 PM.

As so many have already stated, I'd bet more than a nickel that it's mag related.

Magpul AR PMags are great, but their Glock mags are junk. I bought a few to play with and could never get them to feed correctly.

You are damned if you do, damned if you don't, if you are limited to 10 round mags with a G19. The factory G19 10 rounders aren't known for reliability.

If I were limited to 10 rounds I would probably switch platforms or cut the grip down to G26 size.

For what it’s worth, I have never experienced a problem with Glock 10rd mags.

No matter how inexpensive mags are ammo is not in the "try this aftermarket mag for your Glock even though it likely wont work" price range.

I would be making sure the factory mags work with carry ammo and then practice with whatever. Unless this is a training gun only.

Shitty mags are good for feedway drills.

If this was an issue I was having, I would go back to the original configuration. I know that is not possible with the milled slide. Put the stock parts back in. Disassemble and clean the magazines. Make sure the feed lips are clean of lubricant residue. The original recoil spring should be ok unless it is defective in some way.

When I break-in a new pistol I'll shoot about 200 fmj ammo, then 50-100 rounds of my carry ammo. Everyone has their own comfort level to vet a new firearm and path to get there.

Hope you get your Glock sorted out soon.......and to your satisfaction. We've all been down that rabbit hole before.

Thanks. And all your points are valid. I'm cautiously optimistic the mag ban will be over-turned. Naive perhaps, but hope springs eternal. If that doesn't happen, my contingency plans are to either go back to HK, chop the Glock grips to accept G26 mags, or move somewhere more accommodating. In the meantime though, I'd like to carry and train with G19s because, well, for all the reasons we like the Glock 19.
    For training, the OEM ten round magazines should be fine. They don’t normally have problems with FMJ. It’s hollow-point ammunition that’s hit or miss with them. For carry, I don’t know if there’s an aftermarket magazine I would trust to be reliable with carry ammo. Vetting some would also be quite expensive in this market due to the price of defensive ammunition right now. I don’t know how many G19s you have, but if it’s more than a couple, it might be worth getting one chopped to G26 length and carrying that with the proven reliable G26 ten round magazines.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    If this was an issue I was having, I would go back to the original configuration. I know that is not possible with the milled slide. Put the stock parts back in. Disassemble and clean the magazines. Make sure the feed lips are clean of lubricant residue. The original recoil spring should be ok unless it is defective in some way.

When I break-in a new pistol I'll shoot about 200 fmj ammo, then 50-100 rounds of my carry ammo. Everyone has their own comfort level to vet a new firearm and path to get there.

Hope you get your Glock sorted out soon.......and to your satisfaction. We've all been down that rabbit hole before.
    Would you remove the SCD?

User Tag List