Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird New Stoppage with G19

Weird New Stoppage with G19

New-ish Gen 3 G19 with 950 rounds through it. Serial BPWSxxx. Out of the blue, I've had three stoppages in the past two days. Two of them looked like this:

Name:  20210807_155313.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  94.5 KB
    As you can see, the bullet was facing up, out the ejection port. The chamber was empty.

I also had one conventional failure to feed that looked like this:
    Name:  20210806_183642.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  33.4 KB

This gun hasn't been as rock-solid as my other Glocks, but I haven't seen this before.

The ammo yesterday, for two of the stoppages, was Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ. Today I went back with my 145 gr Bayou RN reloads and had another of the "nose up out of the ejection port" stoppages.

Mags were 10 and 15 round Magpuls that have been fine up until now, and are fine in other pistols.

Modifications:

1. Last week, right before this started, I installed a set of new Ameriglo FO sights and a Pearce grip plug. Those are the only recent changes.

2. A few months ago I installed a SCD, minus connector, NY1 trigger spring and Vickers slide stop, but these have been on the gun for a while and haven't been a problem. Early on, ejection was erratic, so I also upgraded the ejector to a Gen 4 model, and installed the White Noise HRED plunger described here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....mm-issues-quot.

3. Slide was milled several hundred rounds ago by Battlewerx.

Gun is lubed and pretty clean. It's a dedicated training and dry fire gun, and it's been running well for several hundred rounds before this. Any ideas from P-F crew?
    Last edited by Mark D; 08-07-2021 at 11:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    I'd set those two mags aside for a while and just use factory mags.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The first thing I would do is ditch the Magpul mags and see if it runs with oem magazines.

ETA: pangloss beat me to the punch
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Almost certainly a mag issue.

Site Supporter
    I would definitely try factory mags.

On an unrelated note, how do you like the combo of the NY1 and minus connector?

My guess is the lightened slide combined with the older magazine springs are the root cause of the slide outrunning the magazine springs. I also suggest trying new OEM magazines.

Site Supporter
    First reaction is that looks like a mag issue. Spring, follower, case, ammo, possibly wear, all combining to produce this. I've had this issue with steel case ammo in magpul mags in Glocks. I've also had funny feed issues with PX4 and M&P mags with steel case ammo.

I would try Glock mags to see if the issue persists.

If it does, then perhaps the recoil spring is a bit weak .

Could be out of spec ammo also.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    My experience with Magpul G19 mags has been underwhelming. Stick to the OEM 15rders. If you continue to have issues with OEMs I would look at the extractor/EDP assembly. I have HREDs in a coiple of my guns too but maybe worth going back to the OEM unit if this happens again.

I saw the exact malfunction as your first pic and it was caused by the pmag. We were able to reproduce the jam several times in different guns by using the problem pmag.

That type of malfunction sometimes gets called a stovepipe, when it's a spent case. People who are big on technicality, or want to sound educated, might call it a type 2 malfunction with an empty case. With a live round, some might call it a type 1 malfunction, others might say it isn't.

In plain english we all know what happened. The bullet didn't go where it needed to go. Most of the time that means a magazine issue. You have a lot of aftermarket on your Glock. Not a bad thing per say but I find it best, for me, to think out each change and ask myself if it's needed. Even so I wouldn't blame that unless it keeps happening with other mags.

User Tag List