Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got an Izula bug

Site Supporter

Got an Izula bug

The Izua' s had my interest for some time, I've noticed it's now available in 35 VN, which has served me pretty well in folder's.
    I've never really carried a fixed blade on a daily basis but would consider this in replacement or addition to a 3" -3.5" folder, carried support side horizontal or strong side pocket.
    Blade forum reviews seem favorable, any input on general edc
    carry / use (certainly rugged, does it cut?), Micarta vs G10 handles etc. would be much appreciated!

I like mine a lot. Been carrying it horizontal weak side a lot this summer.

Name:  7E53AAF9-EE48-426F-B34C-4BBD998FE5FC.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  45.3 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    The Izua' s had my interest for some time, I've noticed it's now available in 35 VN, which has served me pretty well in folder's.
    I've never really carried a fixed blade on a daily basis but would consider this in replacement or addition to a 3" -3.5" folder, carried support side horizontal or strong side pocket.
    Blade forum reviews seem favorable, any input on general edc
    carry / use (certainly rugged, does it cut?), Micarta vs G10 handles etc. would be much appreciated!
    I have had a bunch of them, and still have all but a couple that were gifted to esteemed recipients.

Nothing wrong with micarta scales, but so far G10 cleans up easier, so that is the direction I am going; paracord-wrapped handles seemed like a good idea to me, but I was not impressed over the long term and don't wrap them anymore. My "minimalist" Izula remains without scales or wrap, while my former ES one (orange, now in an orange sheath) has orange TKC scales which are my favorite scales from a "feel" standpoint.

(If I lose that one outside somewhere and can't find it, it is probably my fault.)

While it is "only" 440C (I am old enough to remember the time when a knife in 440 was a new and marvelous thing to the gun/knife rags), a stainless Izula is my favorite to take along on hikes, as the hiking fixed blade gets little actual use but does get wet.

Izulas - I don't care for the Izula II - hit the sweet spot for us, as they are small but capable and affordable.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    While it is "only" 440C (I am old enough to remember the time when a knife in 440 was a new and marvelous thing to the gun/knife rags), a stainless Izula is my favorite to take along on hikes, as the hiking fixed blade gets little actual use but does get wet.
    I should elaborate- this stainless Izula was retrofitted into the "clear" sheath (which it is not... it is actually a milky-white translucent sheath), for two reasons: the combo doesn't scare the bejeebers out of Chad and Karen Nouveauriche, and (more importantly) if some really disgusting crap gets in the sheath or on the knife, I can usually see it at a glance and take care of it ASAP. That may sound flat-out dumb, but I assure you that I have a history of coming home from a walk with gunk in a sheath... or something septic in a canteen/cup, or a blob of "whatthehellisthatsh*t" on the lens of my flashlight.

Part of the fun of Izulas is that they can be nicely - and usually affordably - accessorized.
    gn

Until I started carrying AIWB, I would carry my Izula II horizontal, just left of my belt buckle. Its a great little knife for just about anything. I prefer it to more "defensive" style knives, simply because the likelihood of me needing to do some sort of cutting task is far greater than me using my knife on a bad guy. However, with the scales on the Izy II, I would not feel uncomfortable using it in that regard if needed.

It's one of the smaller fixed blades I've been playing with for a while. I use the G10 scales (I found no handle and paracord to be useless, at least for my hands). Mine is the 1095, with the coating stripped.

Name:  20210809_183752.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  59.6 KB

Next to an A.G. Russell, Clinch Pik, and Condor Otzi. I won't offend everyone's eyes with the ugly DIY kydex I did for the Otzi (visible is a waxed cotton cord wrap I did over the handle to fill it out a little). I really like DCC clip: it holds securely to basketball shorts, track pants, or lighter weight chinos without a belt, which are my hot weather weekend wardrobe choices.

ETA: I didn't mention the ostensible reason for the post: the Izula is a good knife. If they got the heat treat right on the new stainless, it would be a killer blade. Cuts well and sturdy, good size. No nonsense design.

I've also been looking hard at the Izula lately. Anyone have an opinion on the Esee Izula vs. the KA-BAR/ESEE BK14 Becker Eskabar Knife?

It's like an Izula with the same handle but a slightly longer blade with more of a spear point. They are both 1095, but the BK14 is a slightly more modern 1095cv. I've read conflicting opinions about who executes the design/heat treat better. I know Esee will have move aftermarket support, but the BK14 seems pretty darn popular too.

I would trust ESEE heat treat for sure, but unless you're really beating on it, it may not matter to you. The main advantages of the Izula II is that the scales are excellent and included and the factory sheath is pretty sufficient for most peoples needs.

Just re-read and saw you were referencing the Izula... I strongly suggest the Izula II unless you just have super tiny hands or dont intend to use scales at all.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I've also been looking hard at the Izula lately. Anyone have an opinion on the Esee Izula vs. the KA-BAR/ESEE BK14 Becker Eskabar Knife?

It's like an Izula with the same handle but a slightly longer blade with more of a spear point. They are both 1095, but the BK14 is a slightly more modern 1095cv. I've read conflicting opinions about who executes the design/heat treat better. I know Esee will have move aftermarket support, but the BK14 seems pretty darn popular too.
    As Whiskey noted, the Izula II is more comparable to the BK14 than the Izula is, and I doubt if anyone will find much practical difference between the two. I suppose that from a purely engineering standpoint, the "Eskabar" point might be a just a hair more rugged but a tad less easy to use for fine tasks.

The Izula is going to give you a smaller package and - IMHO - is a better EDC/minimalist knife than the other two... assuming the handle is not too small. For my physiognomy, the Izula is about perfect for those two considerations, while the BK14 and Izula II are not as handy and the Becker BK13 proved a bit too small for me for anything but occasional light use and as a "backup to a backup" knife.

(My smaller-handed sibling, on the other hand, took to the little "Remora" like a duck to water.)

They are all good blades for the buck. Incidentally, I have a new Izula in S35VN inbound, more to just have than to actually need (my Izula in 440 has proven quite competent in real-world use so far)... I need to curb my Izula enthusiasm.
    gn

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Incidentally, I have a new Izula in S35VN inbound...
    No longer inbound, but actually in hand.

Doesn't look much different than the 440 version, but we shall see how much difference a bit more "upcale" steel makes.
    gn

User Tag List