Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Suited Shootist" Got Made at Work

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    What idiot would risk prosecution doing this to make a point? All it takes is your part time employer bringing charges.
    I don’t think the premise was to try it with a job where carrying a gun was a crime (a legal NPE), just somewhere that would get you fired or blackballed in the industry (a professional NPE). What “charges” would the employer bring?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I don’t think the premise was to try it with a job where carrying a gun was a crime (a legal NPE), just somewhere that would get you fired or blackballed in the industry (a professional NPE). What “charges” would the employer bring?
    Trespass for starters. Depending on the state, possibly more. If you sign an agreement that it’s a NFZ, you’re potentially on the hook. And are you willing to take the ride?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    It certainly depends on the location, but there are states where trespassing isn’t all or nothing: A person can be allowed on the property, but committing criminal trespass if violating the posted rules of the property owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    It certainly depends on the location, but there are states where trespassing isn’t all or nothing: A person can be allowed on the property, but committing criminal trespass if violating the posted rules of the property owner.
    Plus the differences between an invitee, licensee and trespasser.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

The "damn the NPE, full speed ahead" carry folks have always struck me as being long on tool dependence and short on risk assessment and judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Trespass for starters. Depending on the state, possibly more. If you sign an agreement that it’s a NFZ, you’re potentially on the hook. And are you willing to take the ride?
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Any state in which entering someone’s property while carrying a gun is a crime, such as trespassing, if it’s done in violation of a sign would fall under the Legal NPE conditions I mentioned in my earlier post. I don’t believe this is the kind of situation that was the purpose of Mr. Werner’s challenge. I feel safe saying he wasn’t daring his peers to break any clearly established criminal laws in their jurisdictions.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Since this thread has kinda gone all over the place, I’ll add my thoughts.

I work in cyber security for a Fortune 500 tech company that has a no guns policy in place and I don’t risk breaking it. I accept the risk of working in such an environment, like it or not, and I plan accordingly. If for some reason I were ever to become authorized to carry as part of a say some sort of a rapid response team, I’d likely carry off body since my manner of corporate dress won’t enable me to conceal a full-sized gun well enough for my comfort level to avoid being outed. It would only take one wrong move, posture, accidental shirt lift, etc for the wrong person to notice, and given my luck, they would.

In my particular line of work and career level, the circle of peers and colleagues doing the same thing is small enough that getting canned for breaking the company’s no-guns policy could mean having to move to another part of the country to find a comparable job. It’s just not worth it. Given the political and liability culture in corporate America, I’d be shocked if any large tech company did not have a no guns policy in place. And quite frankly, it’s not likely to change any time soon. The subset of gun owners that appear responsible, trained and able to navigate an active shooter crisis well is small enough to go unnoticeable in the sea of goobers on YouTube, and the latter are likely all that the average left-leaning corporate attorney or policy maker is considering.

Any state in which entering someone’s property while carrying a gun is a crime, such as trespassing, if it’s done in violation of a sign would fall under the Legal NPE conditions I mentioned in my earlier post. I don’t believe this is the kind of situation that was the purpose of Mr. Werner’s challenge. I feel safe saying he wasn’t daring his peers to break any clearly established criminal laws in their jurisdictions.
    If you violate a clearly articulated condition of employment, you definitely stand a chance of being trespassed. It’s not a question of NPE - Home Depot can allow invitees (customers) to carry but prohibit employees.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    And to this day, only one SINGLE "public gun personality" took him up on that challenge. Everyone else? Crickets.
    Somebody tried it? Who? More importantly, how'd it turn out?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I obviously work in a place that is literally covered in government owned guns, yet we have big signs at all the gates telling us in exquisite detail all the ways that we can be federally fooked if we bring our own concealed carry stuff on to the base. I leave it at home. Since I'm in uniform I can't stop out in town on the way to and from work except for drive throughs anyways so while annoying, it's not worth the risk to career at this point... I'd love it if the organization that gives me enough firepower on deployment to end whole cities would trust me with a pistol in the states but after 20 years I understand and at this point just sadly accept how most commanders and their JAG's are going to go about risk mitigation. The chance that a idiot will have an ND is statistically way higher and just as career ending for a senior officer who allowed subordinates to carry than the chance that one of those subordinates would stop a mass shooter to their way of thinking, so it just makes sense to them to tell us to do the same thing as corporate America....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

User Tag List