Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Suited Shootist" Got Made at Work

Site Supporter
    My workplace has a "no weapons" policy, but at least they foot the bill for armed security.

It was really interesting a few years ago: Corporate HQ brought in a couple consultants (former bigwigs in the Boston PD who had formed a consulting company). Their whole 4-ish hour presentation was basically a bunch of scenarios, not all workplace related, and what one might do in those scenarios to stay alive. What kinds of cover to use, improvised weapons, consciously evaluating exit routes in unfamiliar places, etc. It went way beyond the "run, hide, fight" video we get every year.

There was a really interesting turn at the end where one of the guys was like "I know corporate policy is that you're not allowed to carry here, but you've got to decide what you need to do to keep yourself safe". We had a guy hired by corporate HQ not very obliquely telling us to ignore corporate policy if we felt it was necessary. It was an odd situation. I've never heard of anyone getting "made" at work, so I can't guess as to the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    We had a guy hired by corporate HQ not very obliquely telling us to ignore corporate policy if we felt it was necessary. It was an odd situation. I've never heard of anyone getting "made" at work, so I can't guess as to the consequences.
    That's a wacky scenario. You have to wonder what company leadership thought about that part of the presentation.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I just want to point out that hypothetically someone could have committed a felony in a state like say NY by purchasing an AR lower (which is not yet semiautomatic, but does have a collapsable stock) and tossing an upper on it.

Hypothetically they could still regularly shoot on private land, and enjoy and practice with the rifle. Some regions are very rural and make this possible. Capable of defense, hunting, and enjoyment. Hypothetically their could be plenty of these people.

Absolutely illegal. And the risks are very real. Not everyone who talks about these topics is discussing "pretend" consequences. The consequences can be very real, and people may still choose to face the risk of them. Sometimes legal, some times career impacting.
    -an anonymous member
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I still fail to see the issue.

While I can agree it sucks, particularly if somewhere you work either changes the rules or gets acquired (as happened in my case), it’s still the rules and (as a right to work state makes clear) you have a right to A job, but not necessarily THIS job.

Since my general views on carry are often counter the the majority here, that likely contributes to my opinion on this as well
    My general view on carry is I carry where I can. There are lots of places I can't carry in this state. My employers offices was one of them. All clearly posted and enforced. There was no campus security on board when I checked in at 6 AM and the only ones I saw were on a duty desk during the hours that the public was able to access the building. Mostly rent-a-cop. There were lots of cameras around though. Security wasn't what I would call adequate for employee safety. About all they could do is fire someone who violated policy. We had some unstable employees working in my division. Because I was there only briefly early in the morning and a few minutes in the afternoon I wasn't overly concerned about an employee who went postal but I wouldn't have been shocked if one had. A few times I had to divert my assigned parking because of a threat. No access to my assigned parking facility because of a lock down. Easy, I just diverted to the sheriffs compound.

They really should have had 24/7 security like the military but they don't. Some day one of the employees is going to enter those offices with a firearm and the death toll will be yuge. There were a lot of disgruntled employees there, including some supervisors.

I liked hanging out at the agency garage where the sheriffs hung out. I knew there were a few accessible duty pistols available if I needed one.

One thing about being a sheriffs deputy is you have access to a firearm when you need one when you're on duty.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-08-2021 at 09:00 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    They really should have had 24/7 security like the military but they don't.
    Most military installations are pretty soft and many actually use "rent-a-cops," fwiw.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That's a wacky scenario. You have to wonder what company leadership thought about that part of the presentation.
    It was a little surreal. I don't know if I was reading too much into comments he made or perhaps misunderstood him, or what. It was a good way to spend a morning of company time, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I recollect an interesting podcast with CW where he (in support of his advocacy of small revolvers as a primary) challenged people to take a seasonal side job at some prohibited place like Home Depot (where it wouldn't end a career to get fired ETA:and includes more physical activity than taking a selfie in front of a mirror) to prove they could go a a few months without being busted with their full size gun in an NPE.

And to this day, only one SINGLE "public gun personality" took him up on that challenge. Everyone else? Crickets.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    And to this day, only one SINGLE "public gun personality" took him up on that challenge. Everyone else? Crickets.
    In fairness, that's a huge ask. There's nothing online I feel the need to "prove" strongly enough to take a part-time retail job for weeks to months.

I'd also say as someone who *did* carry a gov't 1911 at work and university for a significant amount of time, that even if you did all you prove is YOU could do it IN THAT SITUATION for THAT TIME PERIOD. As I'm sure you'd agree, change any key fact (size of person, method of dress, physicality of the job, if they have a heart attack during the test period or not...) and you potentially change the outcome.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I can honestly say this helped me. We were small and pretty gun friendly, got bought and bought again. Now we're a huge corporation. My habits need to change. I didn't really think about it, same building, same people here, almost nothing changed for me. But things are different and I need to do things differently as I prioritize my wife not working in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    What idiot would risk prosecution doing this to make a point? All it takes is your part time employer bringing charges.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List