Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Things more important than a sub-second draw....

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Hey BBI, what about that sticky we were discussing on the Staff subforum on wins and losses? Not asking you to summarize your book chapter—just a few tips for forum members.
    Shit, I totally forgot. Yeah, I can do that. Probably next week.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Is there a book chapter? I would buy that if the title can be shared.
    I'll PM you.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

@BehindBlueI’s. Wow. That was a tour de force. Very enlightening. Thanks.

Name:  3985BD9F-2977-4662-9E82-A1286B421E2C.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  43.0 KB
    Is there a book chapter? I would buy that if the title can be shared.
    It’s in this book
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-11-2021 at 09:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    I love this forum. Thanks for posting that book. I’ll pickup a copy myself.

ETA: Thanks BBI for sharing this stuff. I can’t imagine. I really appreciate how this exchange went and it’s been very educational was what I meant by that.
    Last edited by BWT; 08-11-2021 at 08:55 PM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Another consideration is the ability to track an RDS dot and get on target without a traditional gun front iron orientation.

Check this out.

Attachment 75547

If you saw this iron alignment, would you take the shot?

I wouldn’t. I’d move the gun over until the irons lined up and then break the shot.

But…. check this out.

I didn’t move the gun, I just turned on the dot.

Attachment 75548

It actually was on target and the red dot let me break the shot earlier than moving to the one iron visual orientation I felt comfortable with.

That’s part of picking up and breaking an RDS shot sooner.

The other part is the gun blocking the visual feedback from the target.

Attachment 75549

Typical iron sight alignment to hit the head A zone.

I can’t see the body or shoulders to contextualize.

But if I use the RDS like I would use an RDS:

Attachment 75550

I can see more of the target context with my dominant eye.

All of those considerations are why I’m a dot carry shooter now.

I can shoot irons, but I’m better with a dot and with good BUIS I don’t see a downside.
    Dang…. This is a huge knowledge bomb. Thank you for sharing. I’ve never seen the dot discussed in this way.

Reading it on Kindle now!

(Disclaimers: I claim no expertise. I've simply followed this conversation for several years as an interested third party observer of both sides of this discussion. I hope that I'm reliably relaying information that's correct and useful.)

Best I can tell there are at least three distinct concerns being expressed during this series of podcasts.

1. High technical ability without a commiserate level of assessment and accountability may have negative consequences if applied in a defensive shooting.

2. In force-on-force and scenario type training, shooters with high technical ability do not seem to solve problems better (faster and/or more correctly) than those with moderate technical ability.

3. Economics. There is an opportunity cost to acquiring and maintaining (the skillset that provides a reliable) sub-second draw and “jailbait splits.” Beyond a certain point, that time, effort and money is probably better spent learning any number of other skills. 

---

1. I understand that a sub second draw isn’t about the sub second draw. There is no question that there is a benefit to having the ability to quickly present and index the gun, recognize a “good enough” sight picture, actuate the trigger and call the shot. The ability to reliably do all that in under a second strongly suggests a high degree of automaticity. But that level of automaticity isn’t without its potential unintended consequences.

A high level of automaticity suggests that the shooter SHOULD have available bandwidth to apply to decision making, but in those thousands of reps, has the shooter trained himself to actively look for, observe and react to “ABORT” cues? Or, have we functionally hardwired “GO”? In an adrenalized state, the shooter may not be able to back it off to an appropriate “assessment speed,” because he hasn’t trained to do so. He may outrun his headlights and be unable to “turn it off” quickly enough if the shot is no longer justified by the time it is released.

“Why not both?” Of course, the shooter could train both. But, is he? You as an individual may not have a problem keeping concepts in appropriate tension. Many do, so it seems like a reasonable concern.

2. It would be reasonable to hypothesize a performance delta between a shooter with high technical ability (A/M/GM class) and a shooter with moderate technical ability (B/C class) during force on force and scenario exercises. Apparently the data doesn’t actually demonstrate that, or rather there are far better ways to improve the “faster and/or more correctly” metrics than improving your technical skills. There seems to be a point of diminishing returns where improved technical ability doesn’t seem to improve outcomes once the problem gets complicated with:

-Innocent bystanders in the background/foreground,
    -No shoots who cannot legally, ethically or morally be muzzled
    -Just enough force, but not excessive force

3. The defensive practitioner needs to be well rounded in bunch of topics. Additionally, those skillsets need to be integrated into a cohesive and functional package. Situational Awareness may be “free,” but the other skillsets definitely are not. Once the practitioner reaches the point of diminishing returns, he should probably use his time and resources to other modalities.

Skillsets that immediately come to mind:
    Managing Unknown Contacts
    Operating at assessment and decision making speed
    OC Spray
    Legal training
    Medical Training
    Fighting skills (armed and unarmed)
    Home defense long gun
    Low light
    Health, Strength and Fitness

The defensive practitioner will likely get more “bang for the buck” by pursuing those other skills, rather than advancing his technical skills beyond the point of diminishing returns. Again, these knowledge and skill modalities also should integrated and performed with some level of automaticity. Once the practitioner has be come a well-rounded generalist, maybe it makes sense to specialize. The vast majority of us aren’t well rounded generalists.

@JDN. If I recall from previous posts, you are reasonably competent across many of those skillsets, in which case specializing starts making sense (again, from a defensive practitioner’s perspective, not a competition or enthusiast’s perspective).

I also recall that you are mostly self taught and have little to no professional firearms training. What you may not know, is that many in this community tend to specialize well before they are broadly competent. This is evidenced by the popularity of performance based trainers like Modern Samurai Project. Jedi (and Tim Herron, etc) openly admits that he runs a performance class and doesn’t teach tactics. He is happy to recommend people that will teach you how to tactically apply the technical skills learned his class. Despite their disclaimers, it seems many falsely conclude that a 1 second index draw and sub 0.20 splits is a panacea and has a direct application to a violent social encounter.

Guys like Darryl Bolke, Chuck Pressburg, Steve Fisher, Wayne Dobbs, Lee Weems, Tom Givens, Claude Werner, Scott Rietz, etc. are suggesting that there’s more to this gun fighting thing than a blazing fast speed. If it’s not balanced with an high degree of assessment and accountability, could get you in a world of trouble.
    Last edited by David S.; 08-12-2021 at 08:18 AM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    (Disclaimers: I claim no expertise. I've simply followed this conversation for several years as an interested third party observer of both sides of this discussion. I hope that I'm reliably relaying information that's correct and useful.)

Best I can tell there are at least three distinct concerns being expressed during this series of podcasts.

1. High technical ability without a commiserate level of assessment and accountability may have negative consequences if applied in a defensive shooting.

2. In force-on-force and scenario type training, shooters with high technical ability do not seem to solve problems better (faster and/or more correctly) than those with moderate technical ability.

3. Economics. There is an opportunity cost to acquiring and maintaining (the skillset that provides a reliable) sub-second draw and “jailbait splits.” Beyond a certain point, that time, effort and money is probably better spent learning any number of other skills. 

---

1. I understand that a sub second draw isn’t about the sub second draw. There is no question that there is a benefit to having the ability to quickly present and index the gun, recognize a “good enough” sight picture, actuate the trigger and call the shot. The ability to reliably do all that in under a second strongly suggests a high degree of automaticity. But that level of automaticity isn’t without its potential unintended consequences.

A high level of automaticity suggests that the shooter SHOULD have available bandwidth to apply to decision making, but in those thousands of reps, has the shooter trained himself to actively look for, observe and react to “ABORT” cues? Or, have we functionally hardwired “GO”? In an adrenalized state, the shooter may not be able to back it off to an appropriate “assessment speed,” because he hasn’t trained to do so. He may outrun his headlights and be unable to “turn it off” quickly enough if the shot is no longer justified by the time it is released.

“Why not both?” Of course, the shooter could train both. But, is he? You as an individual may not have a problem keeping concepts in appropriate tension. Many do, so it seems like a reasonable concern.

2. It would be reasonable to hypothesize a performance delta between a shooter with high technical ability (A/M/GM class) and a shooter with moderate technical ability (B/C class) during force on force and scenario exercises. Apparently the data doesn’t actually demonstrate that, or rather there are far better ways to improve the “faster and/or more correctly” metrics than improving your technical skills. There seems to be a point of diminishing returns where improved technical ability doesn’t seem to improve outcomes once the problem gets complicated with:

-Innocent bystanders in the background/foreground,
    -No shoots who cannot legally, ethically or morally be muzzled
    -Just enough force, but not excessive force

3. The defensive practitioner needs to be well rounded in bunch of topics. Additionally, those skillsets need to be integrated into a cohesive and functional package. Situational Awareness may be “free,” but the other skillsets definitely are not. Once the practitioner reaches the point of diminishing returns, he should probably use his time and resources to other modalities.

Skillsets that immediately come to mind:
    Managing Unknown Contacts
    Operating at assessment and decision making speed
    OC Spray
    Legal training
    Medical Training
    Fighting skills (armed and unarmed)
    Home defense long gun
    Low light

The defensive practitioner will likely get more “bang for the buck” by pursuing those other skills, rather than advancing his technical skills beyond the point of diminishing returns. Again, these knowledge and skill modalities also should integrated and performed with some level of automaticity. Once the practitioner has be come a well-rounded generalist, maybe it makes sense to specialize. The vast majority of us aren’t well rounded generalists.

@JDN. If I recall from previous posts, you are reasonably competent across many of those skillsets, in which case specializing starts making sense (again, from a defensive practitioner’s perspective, not a competition or enthusiast’s perspective).

I also recall that you are mostly self taught and have little to no professional firearms training. What you may not know, is that many in this community tend to specialize well before they are broadly competent. This is evidenced by the popularity of performance based trainers like Modern Samurai Project. Jedi (and Tim Herron, etc) openly admits that he runs a performance class and doesn’t teach tactics. He is happy to recommend people that will teach you how to tactically apply the technical skills learned his class. Despite their disclaimers, it seems many falsely conclude that a 1 second index draw and sub 0.20 splits is a panacea and has a direct application to a violent social encounter.

Guys like Darryl Bolke, Chuck Pressburg, Steve Fisher, Wayne Dobbs, Lee Weems, Tom Givens, Claude Werner, Scott Rietz, etc. are suggesting that there’s more to this gun fighting thing than a blazing fast speed. If it’s not balanced with an high degree of assessment and accountability, could get you in a world of trouble.

Wish I could "like" this post more than once. It sums it up nicely. Indeed, the fact that @JCN is only just now reading a book like "Straight Talk on Armed Self-Defense" says a lot.

I have a question for @JCN: Where would performance on something like a 1-reload-1 fall in? I don't know what a blazing time would be on this. Say, from low-ready, at beep at 7 yards, firing one, reloading, and firing 1, all in the A zone? One second? 1.5? Less? I have no idea. Whatever a blazing time would be for a Grandmaster such as yourself, would it also, as you say, be a "surrogate" for other skills? I mean, it is a technical shooting skill, yes?

And yet, we know from a pretty big data set (including Tom Givens' students' data as well as the 10,000+ gunfights John Correia has gone through) that reloads in civilian defensive gun uses happen so infrequently that they essentially NEVER happen. So here we have a skill that is probably indicative of other technical skills, that sure as heck is necessary to master for competitive matches, having almost NO bearing on street encounters for "regular" people.

So again, training to perform a slide-lock reload in a "reasonable amount of time" is definitely a good thing. But the person who sits around practicing it all day--day in, day out--in order to get it to that one-second (or whatever) mark should probably--for defensive purposes--be focusing on other things, and he or she is just kidding him or herself that what they are practicing is preparing them for a gunfight.

Let’s face it, if you asked each person privately, they would all prefer to have better technical skills AND better tactical skills. Human nature being what it is, people tend to prioritize what they have, and the technical guys typically think technical skills are more important and the tactical guys think knowledge and mindset trumps technical skills. Of course we all know that winning a confrontation takes some amount of technical skills, some amount of tactical knowledge, and some amount of luck.

Jeff Cooper talked a lot about mindset, and a big part of mindset is being confident in your skills. Thinking that you have deficient technical or tactical skills isn’t going to help your mindset, so as humans we want to believe that what we have will prevail.

This argument is not winnable, and no amount of videos, appeals to authority or statistics is going to change anyone’s mind.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List