Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Using the Milwaukee Packout system for gun stuff?

I have seen various rolling toolboxes on indoor and hard surface ranges, but if you are shooting in an action bay with dirt, gravel, or grass, you need bigger wheels like a garden cart.

I have a heavy wire folding two-wheeled shopping cart that has a heavy liner in it, I use that for matches.
    My High-power friend has used one of those, calls it the "Old lady's cart" but he now has a rig with those bigger wheels.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I have this one:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/blue-wagon-16-folding-w-table/prod20071140?pid=ps_acq_Google_PLA_12529564969&wl0 =&wl1=u&wl2=c&wl3=505733493992&wl4=pla-457564281981&wl5=1017518&wl6=&wl7=&wl9=&wl10=12477 13&wl11=online&wl12={productid}&wl13=&wl15=1178537 82943&wl16=&wl17=&wl18=&wl19=&wl20=EAIaIQobChMI2NH c4JOm9AIV7W1vBB0XPQC9EAkYAyABEgI-F_D_BwE&wl23=457564281981&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2NHc4J Om9AIV7W1vBB0XPQC9EAkYAyABEgI-F_D_BwE

It's wheels are too narrow for the softer sand roads/paths at our gun club. I got my wife one with wider wheels.

I wish I'd seen this one before buying either of them, I like the way it folds better plus the price. Couldn't catch the picture so just the link:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Like most folks we use ATV gun racks on each end to run the shotgun/rifle parallel to the wagon's side:

Name:  61ZxFsUb4DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  39.9 KB
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I'm pretty heavy into Milwaukee's M12 line for light duty remodeling, and I even use it a bit for production carpentry. I'm split between Makita and Milwaukee for my larger 18 volt platform tools like nail guns, hand held saws, miter saws, dust collection, etc.

I managed not to get sucked into the Packout system up until they released the wonderful drawers. Total game changer for me!

They are stupid expensive, but after using them I'd pay even more if I had to. For me it's all about not having to unstack or unpack lidded boxes to get at things below the top level. I can access stuff instantly weather it's in a vehicle, stacked on a dolly/hand truck, or stacked in my garage shop. It makes my 4runner a usable vehicle for much of the subcontracting I do lately. I can just select the drawer stacks I need, throw them in the SUV, and wheel them right into jobs. The contents are always instantly accessible, which is only true of the very top box in most lidded stacking arrangements. It can become very annoying having to dig things out of those stacks.

The drawers are much less water/dust resistant than many lidded stacking system boxes. However, for my purposes at least, they are on a entirely different level than lidded stacking systems as lower/middle units. They transition perfectly from shop, to vehicle, to job site without ever becoming frustrating as bottom-of-stack items. XL boxes and crates make wonderful top-of-stack components for larger items that won't fit into drawers.

I am now an unapologetic Packout fanboy convert.

Name:  milwaukee-48-22-8442-8443.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  37.9 KB

https://www.acmetools.com/milwaukee-...802002491.html

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I'm pretty heavy into Milwaukee's M12 line for light duty remodeling, and I even use it a bit for production carpentry. I'm split between Makita and Milwaukee for my larger 18 volt platform tools like nail guns, hand held saws, miter saws, dust collection, etc.

I managed not to get sucked into the Packout system up until they released the wonderful drawers. Total game changer for me!

They are stupid expensive, but after using them I'd pay even more if I had to. For me it's all about not having to unstack or unpack lidded boxes to get at things below the top level. I can access stuff instantly weather it's in a vehicle, stacked on a dolly/hand truck, or stacked in my garage shop. It makes my 4runner a usable vehicle for much of the subcontracting I do lately. I can just select the drawer stacks I need, throw them in the SUV, and wheel them right into jobs. The contents are always instantly accessible, which is only true of the very top box in most lidded stacking arrangements. It can become very annoying having to dig things out of those stacks.

The drawers are much less water/dust resistant than many lidded stacking system boxes. However, for my purposes at least, they are on a entirely different level than lidded stacking systems as lower/middle units. They transition perfectly from shop, to vehicle, to job site without ever becoming frustrating as bottom-of-stack items. XL boxes and crates make wonderful top-of-stack components for larger items that won't fit into drawers.

I am now an unapologetic Packout fanboy convert.

Name:  milwaukee-48-22-8442-8443.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  37.9 KB

https://www.acmetools.com/milwaukee-...802002491.html
    That’s a really great point about this system. Are you using the hand truck or the rolling dolly? The hand truck seems to have some other interesting features that could be handy too.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...age/48-22-8415

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...OUT/48-22-8410

The rolling toolbox LL linked to at the top doesn’t appear to be available with drawers.

Good video covering a lot of the options here.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That’s a really great point about this system. Are you using the hand truck or the rolling dolly? The hand truck seems to have some other interesting features that could be handy too.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...age/48-22-8415

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...OUT/48-22-8410

The rolling toolbox LL linked to at the top doesn’t appear to be available with drawers.

Good video covering a lot of the options here.

I didn't watch the whole thing, but that video seems to be from before the drawers were released.

Spencer Lewis from Insider Carpentry, Rob Robalard from Concord Carpenter, and Finish Carpentry TV (all YouTube channels) have had the same experience. They all say they wasted tons of money on Packout systems that became immediately obsolete once the drawers were released. You can look up the channel name and "packout drawers" to get a few in-depth professional opinions.

Rob Robalard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT4bU99eliA

Most of the time I personally use the drawers as bases and just ratchet strap them to a folding hand truck that I have. Can put any large box or crate on top. Can throw a dolly on the bottom as makes sense or leave it behind as the case may be. The packout hand truck looks a little suspect to me, but I have no first hand experience. I load my drawers pretty heavy. Probably at maximum recommended weight cap. Other people have used the modular packout base to build their own dolly system ( See Spencer Lewis Insider Carpentry Youtube channel).

"Joe the tool guy" and "Tool Boss" YouTube channels are indispensable resources for people who buy a lot of Milwaukee, Makita, or Dewalt tools. Subscribe and use them like online fliers that notify and teach you how to take advantage of "hacks" and "glitches" at Home Depot or other stores. Hard to explain, but this often gets me tools at half price or less. I buy Milwaukee and Makita tools at lower than Ryobi Prices often. I will explain it later.

Example of a good deal that isn't a "hack" or "glitch", but a insider promo code on https://youtu.be/oyN_8ybIZqk .....discounted packout stack
    Learn about 'Hacks" and "glitches", sorry I don't have time to explain now, have to get kid to school and get myself to work.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I didn't watch the whole thing, but that video seems to be from before the drawers were released.

Spencer Lewis from Insider Carpentry, Rob Robalard from Concord Carpenter, and Finish Carpentry TV (all YouTube channels) have had the same experience. They all say they wasted tons of money on Packout systems that became immediately obsolete once the drawers were released. You can look up the channel name and "packout drawers" to get a few in-depth professional opinions.

Rob Robalard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT4bU99eliA

Most of the time I personally use the drawers as bases and just ratchet strap them to a folding hand truck that I have. Can put any large box or crate on top. Can throw a dolly on the bottom as makes sense or leave it behind as the case may be. The packout hand truck looks a little suspect to me, but I have no first hand experience. I load my drawers pretty heavy. Probably at maximum recommended weight cap. Other people have used the modular packout base to build their own dolly system ( See Spencer Lewis Insider Carpentry Youtube channel).

"Joe the tool guy" and "Tool Boss" YouTube channels are indispensable resources for people who buy a lot of Milwaukee, Makita, or Dewalt tools. Subscribe and use them like online fliers that notify and teach you how to take advantage of "hacks" and "glitches" at Home Depot or other stores. Hard to explain, but this often gets me tools at half price or less. I buy Milwaukee and Makita tools at lower than Ryobi Prices often. I will explain it later.

Example of a good deal that isn't a "hack" or "glitch", but a insider promo code on https://youtu.be/oyN_8ybIZqk .....discounted packout stack
    Learn about 'Hacks" and "glitches", sorry I don't have time to explain now, have to get kid to school and get myself to work.
    Yes, video is just before the drawers came out. He mentions them.

I watch a lot of those same guys.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I'm going to try to explain "hack" and "glitch" for those unfamiliar with how it works.

Home Depot is currently selling one of my favorite framing saws on sale. Retail Price for the kit is something like $350. They have it on sale for $250, and you also get to select an additional tool for free. This is commonly called a "buy one get one" deal or "BOGO"

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...01PT/301282463

Name:  MakitaSaw1.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  50.6 KB

A "hackable" BOGO is when you add the items to the cart and they show up separately in the cart. Usually they will all lump together as a single $250 price. However, in this instance, notice how the price of the saw kit drops to $151.96, and the grinder is listed with it's own separate price. This means they have set it up as a "hack" for people who know what time it is.

Name:  MakitaSaw2.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  41.0 KB

The way you take advantage of the "hack" is to place an order for the saw kit/grinder BOGO while setting the saw to ship to your house, and set the grinder for in store pickup. Wait until you have shipping notification on the saw kit, then cancel the in store pickup item. They will refund you the price of the grinder and you get the saw, two 5ah 18 volt batteries, a dual bay rapid charger, and a case for $151.96 plus tax. I don't think you can buy any cheap Ryobi brushed saw with 10 ah of batteries with charger and case for that price. The Makita is a serious contractor grade tool. Those batteries alone cost over $100 a piece if you were to buy them separately.

If you are hacking the main "buy one" item, you always want to choose the most expensive "get one free" item, as this will take the most money off the price of your main item. You can also use the hack to get a discounted "get one" item and return/cancel the main "buy one" item, if that makes any sense. There are a few different ways to do the "hack". You can return the item in person if you live close to the store. I just have them ship the items I want to keep to my house.

I think this is home depot's way of dumping product to resellers in order to get sales numbers they want without violating their contracts with companies like TTI, Stanley, and Makita. There are a bunch of people who make a living buying a reselling tools this way on ebay, amazon, and such. Home Depot isn't stupid, they know what they're doing. The YouTube channel "Tool Boss" has been posting these "hacks" for over 5 years.

A "glitch" is usually when someone screws up while listing a BOGO and mixes up which item is the "buy one" and which the "get one free". A couple months back I picked up a Makita "glitch" at Tractor Supply Co for a young guy at work who needed tools. I got him a brushless drill/driver combo with two 4ah batteries, rapid charger, case, and a recip saw for $125 out the door. Glitches don't come along every day, and when the do you have to buy them immediately before they sell out or are fixed.

The best way I've found to track these "hacks" and "glitches" is to subscribe to "Tool Boss" and "Joe the tool guy" YouTube channels, hit the bell notification thing, and remember to check the "community" tab as well on a daily basis. This has saved me thousands of dollars on Milwaukee and Makita tools.

Watch out though, because it's kind of like reloading where you don't always spend less money, but instead you simply wind up buying more tools (shooting more) for the same pile of money. At least if you're a tool whore like me that's what will happen.
    Last edited by frozentundra; 11-23-2021 at 12:00 AM.

Some neat “hacks” here in terms of 3D printed brackets and cnc plates for attaching non-packout items to packout items. Some other stuff that’s not very shooting related.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I have this one:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/blue-wagon-16-folding-w-table/prod20071140?pid=ps_acq_Google_PLA_12529564969&wl0 =&wl1=u&wl2=c&wl3=505733493992&wl4=pla-457564281981&wl5=1017518&wl6=&wl7=&wl9=&wl10=12477 13&wl11=online&wl12={productid}&wl13=&wl15=1178537 82943&wl16=&wl17=&wl18=&wl19=&wl20=EAIaIQobChMI2NH c4JOm9AIV7W1vBB0XPQC9EAkYAyABEgI-F_D_BwE&wl23=457564281981&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2NHc4J Om9AIV7W1vBB0XPQC9EAkYAyABEgI-F_D_BwE

It's wheels are too narrow for the softer sand roads/paths at our gun club. I got my wife one with wider wheels.

I wish I'd seen this one before buying either of them, I like the way it folds better plus the price. Couldn't catch the picture so just the link:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Like most folks we use ATV gun racks on each end to run the shotgun/rifle parallel to the wagon's side:

I had the Sam’s cart and then got the Dick’s version the one sold by Casella’s.. it isn’t any better of a soft sandy USPSA range. A pull behcart like th Zuca or going w the Packout is in my future.

Note, bought at Dick’s before they went full retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    A pull behcart like th Zuca
    I had never heard of this thing so googled.
    https://www.zuca.com/control/product/~product_id=13562

Some packouts on one of these would be pretty cool, albeit stupid expensive.

it has not escaped my attention that somewhere there's some poor bastard(s) willing to spend upwards of $300 on a disc golf "cart".

User Tag List