Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 27 years on the job

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    We were issued Bianchi Hurricane holsters which were clamshell forward rake draw. The armorer Lt was allowed a Smython in a Bianchi Judge with Hogue grips. We were all mad.

We were issued the Safariland 070 with Glocks. Huge learning curve compared to the Hurricane. I recall the 070 for a revolver was like a bank vault. The cylinder on the revolver was the plus for holster retention.

this is me first night on patrol in 1989. Six rounds in my 686, twelve in the loops (18 total), handcuffs to the rear and traditional mace on the other side.... that was it.

My dad snap this photo before I headed out and my mom had bought me my Red Wing boots. I quickly found out those boots were too slippery for patrol use.

Dont make fun of the hair (it was originally a mullet) or glasses (it was 89) :P

oh and I dont look like that today.

In the 80s, that could’ve been a recruiting poster.

Looks good, don't he. Except he's only five foot three!

Cat

Name:  565524E8-6D9C-4F23-923A-CCE8E8FF7A1E.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  20.0 KB
    Name:  BF96431C-DEFD-47C7-AEA1-F2CAB6804A29.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  23.3 KB

This is my cousin Bill (on top). He was working as a security guard in the mid 80’s, while waiting to get into a police academy. 😁
    Last edited by FrankB; 08-10-2021 at 09:55 PM.

this was issued to me in 1989. It was rough.... but on days off and Flitz and some grip attention got it to this point. They would not let us change the grips or carry speed loaders. We had to load from belt loops. Shhhhhhh, I had speed strips in my pockets.

We were issued G21 in 92 and 93 and we were allowed to purchase our issued for a whopping $129.

still got it.

I'll give you $150 for it.
    Because I'm generous like that.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I was offered a confiscated 581 back in the late 80's as a duty handgun and accepted. Shot well, but a tad heavy compared to my M64 especially since we didn't use Magnum ammo. Its number came up a couple of years later and it, and another identical confiscated 581, were sent for destruction.
    Damn waste. I would have bought it. Rarely see fixed sight Ls anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I was offered a confiscated 581 back in the late 80's as a duty handgun and accepted. Shot well, but a tad heavy compared to my M64 especially since we didn't use Magnum ammo. Its number came up a couple of years later and it, and another identical confiscated 581, were sent for destruction.
    Damn waste. I would have bought it. Rarely see fixed sight Ls anymore.
    We confiscated one on a call in the early 90s. We used it for sims for years. I sent it along with a bunch of other guns to our vendor for trade credit. I wonder what they sold it for, it wasn’t there next time I was in the retail store.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I'll give you $150 for it.
    Because I'm generous like that.
    HA! I wont give in for $150. While this gun looks good because I polished it on my 4 days off here and there... it has a story or maybe its me.

Somewhere around early 2000s, I got involved in the principles of marksmanship and later joined an LEO group/competition based on marksmanship.

While, I was a above average shooter prior to that, I did not know the commitment required and when "old" cops were waxing me.... I became the student. Still am but I dont get to shoot as much as I would like to these days because a lack of ammo for our group matches and heavy workload these days.

This 686 was rough when issued to me in 1989 and I recall zeroing the sights in 89.... see image below.

While I could qualify in the high 90s to 100 with my gun.... when I was issued my Glock in 1993, I parked this 686. I dont recall shooting it again (maybe here or there) but I will venture to say it has not been shot for 25 years.

Look where I have the rear sight set for my 1993 and prior accuracy.

When it gets cooler, I want to take this revolver out and since my level of marksmanship is much higher now compared to 1993, I want to see if this gun is zeroed correctly.

I have it cranked to the right.... which is correct for a right handed slapper, jerker, hammerer, anticipater, or know it all.

I hope the sight needs to be centered, which would mean I suk back then.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    HA! I wont give in for $150. While this gun looks good because I polished it on my 4 days off here and there... it has a story or maybe its me.

Somewhere around early 2000s, I got involved in the principles of marksmanship and later joined an LEO group/competition based on marksmanship.

While, I was a above average shooter prior to that, I did not know the commitment required and when "old" cops were waxing me.... I became the student. Still am but I dont get to shoot as much as I would like to these days because a lack of ammo for our group matches and heavy workload these days.

This 686 was rough when issued to me in 1989 and I recall zeroing the sights in 89.... see image below.

While I could qualify in the high 90s to 100 with my gun.... when I was issued my Glock in 1993, I parked this 686. I dont recall shooting it again (maybe here or there) but I will venture to say it has not been shot for 25 years.

Look where I have the rear sight set for my 1993 and prior accuracy.

When it gets cooler, I want to take this revolver out and since my level of marksmanship is much higher now compared to 1993, I want to see if this gun is zeroed correctly.

I have it cranked to the right.... which is correct for a right handed slapper, jerker, hammerer, anticipater, or know it all.

I hope the sight needs to be centered, which would mean I suk back then.

You are absolutely not alone in starting out needing the rear sight off center, but then needing it closer to the center as your trigger squeeze improved.

When the first Glock 21s were issued in 92... thats all I wanted. I bought my own and while I had to carry the 686 for duty carry till I got my issued G21 in 1993.... all I focused on was the G21.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

We were issued Bianchi Hurricane holsters which were clamshell forward rake draw. The armorer Lt was allowed a Smython in a Bianchi Judge with Hogue grips. We were all mad.

We were issued the Safariland 070 with Glocks. Huge learning curve compared to the Hurricane. I recall the 070 for a revolver was like a bank vault. The cylinder on the revolver was the plus for holster retention.

this is me first night on patrol in 1989. Six rounds in my 686, twelve in the loops (18 total), handcuffs to the rear and traditional mace on the other side.... that was it.

My dad snap this photo before I headed out and my mom had bought me my Red Wing boots. I quickly found out those boots were too slippery for patrol use.

Dont make fun of the hair (it was originally a mullet) or glasses (it was 89) :P

oh and I dont look like that today.

I carried mine in that same holster!! Solid gun that I've had since 1985. It sits in the safe now because I cleaned the burn marks off of the front of the cylinder, by the forcing cone. Since I went to all that trouble, I have not shot it.

User Tag List