Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting Warrior Poet video

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    We have to be careful to see ourselves as we actually are and not some mental image we have in our heads.

I was thinking on the disparity of force in my evo and mentioned that in the debrief. Craig was quick to point out that I was taller than Joe probably didn’t give up much weight and had some training under my belt, there was no disparity. In my mind none of those things existed, I was still a dumb kid just learning how to walk. Now I’m 20-30# heavier with most of it decent weight and have another 4-5 years of BJJ under my belt. If anything most people would be able to start claiming a disparity against me instead of the other way.

Women and the elderly/injured should always have an easier basis claiming a disparity situation but like you said how does training affect that and can a prosecutor spin your training into turning you into a trained “killer”. I hadn’t thought about it until now but that could be a downside to the “lethal” Krav Maga marketing.

Avoidance is the ticket. I “fight” several days a week in the gym, don’t need to prove it anywhere else.
    I vividly remember a Mas Ayoob quote from the LFI-1 class I was in many moons ago: “A black belt is an instant pork job in court.”

That may well have changed over the years as martial arts have become more mainstream (the class was in the mid-90s), but it’s still an issue that needs to be kept in mind and prepared for/mitigated against.

ETA: By way of saying that we are totally on the same line of the same page: Craig took me to task for shooting the second guy in a 2-on-1; the role was he was a bystander trying to break up the fight. From inside the stinky helmet, while sitting on top of the guy who had been fighting me for the rest of the evo, putting some sims in the guy rushing up made sense at the time. Like I say, FoF is eye-opening—and it’s not just the physicality part of getting your ass kicked the first couple of times. No sane civilian wants any part of this sort of thing in the real world.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 08-21-2021 at 12:40 PM.
    ”When antisemitism moves from the shameful fringe into the public square, it is not about Jews… it is about the surrounding society or the culture or the country. It is an early warning system—a sign that the society itself is breaking down. That it is dying.” -Bari Weiss

User Tag List