Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota owners 0W16 oil vs. 0w20 oil?

Toyota owners 0W16 oil vs. 0w20 oil?

Anyone have a clue if the Toyota 0W16 motor oil is really required over more commonly available 0W20 oil?

My daughter is coming home from grad school today. I she has a 2018 Camry and I remember seeing it takes 0w16. I have 0W20 in the garage for her sister's 2017 Carolla. Do I really need to run out and get 0W16??

0W20 will be fine, the main reason for going with a lighter oil is marginally better mpg. Your owner's manual probably even says "if 0W16 oil is not available, 0W20 may be used..."

Site Supporter
    0W20 is just fine.

Site Supporter
    What these guys said. I mark up ow-16 due to lack of availability. Good for me. Bad for you.

Site Supporter
    There was a time not terribly long ago when many living in hot climates put 30 weight oil in their American made vehicles. Dealers would recommend it even thought the manual might call for another weight.

0W16 and 0W20 both strike me as extremely light. Must be those Toyota engines are designed to run really cool or something? (I'm used to seeing manufacturer recommendations of 0-5W35-40, but I'm also used to driving turbocharged cars, and the oil has to survive going through the turbo, so there is that.)

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    0W16 and 0W20 both strike me as extremely light. Must be those Toyota engines are designed to run really cool or something? (I'm used to seeing manufacturer recommendations of 0-5W35-40, but I'm also used to driving turbocharged cars, and the oil has to survive going through the turbo, so there is that.)
    I rented a Toyota Camry last month and drove 6 hours at 80+ miles per hour, air conditioning blasting, 5 people in it (plus a truck full of luggage), and outside air temps ranging from 100F to 107F. It didn't miss a beat and the temp gauge never moved off normal.

Overseas a lot of same-same Toyota cars call for 5W-30. I believe the 0W-20 and now 0W-16 in North America is generally to help meet fuel economy standards. There are arguments that the 16 or 20 weight doesn't protect as well but there are equal arguments that the lighter weight oil gets pumped faster on cold start and coats the internals sooner, reducing wear. I generally just stick with 20, but subjectively I think 16 is probably too much of a good thing. bobistheoilguy.com is a tribology rabbit hole and you can read endless discussion on the subject there.

Can I use OW16 or OW20 on my 1911 slide?

I just use whatever the dealer puts in there. I find that when I sell a vehicle and I produce a stack of dealer invoices I can use that as a selling point.

Look honey, it's got a million miles on it but it's been dealer maintained.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/million-mile-tundra-2016/

For BBL. No Cheavy ever hit a million miles. Not even in MX where the very best Cheavy mechanics reside.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-05-2021 at 07:44 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Just wait - 0W-8 is coming.

Many fuel-conscious trucking fleets are switching to 0W-30 & 5W-30 on their big diesels. Engine life might be marginally shortened, but the fuel cost savings more than make up for it.

User Tag List