Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCAT Drill

Site Supporter

SCAT Drill

Short Combat Accuracy Test (SCAT)

RFTS-Q or IALEFI-QP silhouette

Scored: inner chest circle = 5, second chest circle = 4, head circle = 5, any hit in the torso outside the circles above the belt line = 2 points.

Hit factor scoring

5 yards Draw and fire 4 rounds to the chest
    5 yards From Ready, fire 1 head shot Do this twice
    5 yards From Ready, Dominant Hand Only, 3 rounds
    5 yards From Ready, Non-dominant Hand Only, 3 rounds
    7 yards Draw and fire 4 rounds
    10 yards Draw and fire 4 rounds

20 rounds total
    Possible score = 100

Record time for each stage, and add together for a total time.
    Divide total points by total time, for an Index.
    Multiply index by 20 for a final score.

Par score = 100. Goal is score above 100.

Examples:
    96 points divided by 23.6 seconds = 4.07 X 20= 81.4
    94 points divided by 20.2 seconds = 4.65 X 20= 93.1
    98 points divided by 12.98 seconds= 7.55 X 20= 151.0

80-100 Competent
    101-125 Advanced
    126+ Highly Skilled

I ran this after you posted it on FB and was pretty pleased with myself at first as I was shooting it clean and beating your times. Until the SHO and WHO only stages. I shot those clean but at about double your times. I guess I know what I will be working extra on in dry fire for a while.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I ran this after you posted it on FB and was pretty pleased with myself at first as I was shooting it clean and beating your times. Until the SHO and WHO only stages. I shot those clean but at about double your times. I guess I know what I will be working extra on in dry fire for a while.
    That is one of the main purposes of drills like this one. See what you are currently good at and what currently needs work. That changes over time. Then, adjust your practice regime periodically to address those issues.

I know you know this, Mike. This comment is for the newer lads.

Took a shot at this(pun intended).
    G45 MOS w/ACRO and TLR8G mounted. JMCK IWB, unconcealed.
    3.47, .97, .85, 2.51,2.54, 3.98 and 4.47, clean. Translates to a 106, if my math is right.
    Not sure what happened on first run-too conservative (?). Nevertheless, somewhat satisfying at the end of the day. I like it for a low round count, no reload.
    Thanks to Mr. Givens for putting it out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    3.47, .97, .85, 2.51,2.54, 3.98 and 4.47, clean. Translates to a 106, if my math is right.
    Not sure what happened on first run-too conservative (?). Nevertheless, somewhat satisfying at the end of the day. I like it for a low round count, no reload.
    Your math is correct. Not bad.

It appears this can easily be run on a B8C and maintain the same scoring standards?
    Taking a break from social media.

I wasn't going to list mine because of the terrible one handed strings, but you shamed me into it.

Sig 365XL w/507k, AIWB under t shirt.
    2.86, .71, .75, 2.63, 3.02, 3.32, 3.69
    Score 118

195 points cold, 205 repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    It appears this can easily be run on a B8C and maintain the same scoring standards?
    8 ring is 8” and then I measured 2” from that. The 10” circle isn’t perfect from the B8 but can measure from the 8.

Head box as I understand it from the targets is a 4” circle. I used 4” pasters.

I’m probably about 10% off of my peak last month. With my sore wrist I haven’t dry or live fire practiced in a couple weeks.

Ran it cold and repeated it once.

First run was going for hits.
    Second run was going for more speed.

That’s the fun of hit factor scoring.

Name:  F6470BC7-902D-4DC3-8EAB-ECF02B6CF381.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  54.0 KB

Cold target:

Name:  4593ED3E-B13D-4226-AC6C-4F84FA7738F5.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  27.9 KB

Long ass video in its entirety if there were any doubts or questions.

Well, dang boys-I’d better get my speed up!

One thing I do contemplate occasionally is reaction time after the shot(s). I don’t think I’m rationalizing, but seriously, is there such a thing as “too fast”? The gentlemen at Hits talk about splits of .5 seconds being reasonable for analysis of what is happening with opponent(s)-@Wayne Dobbs. I recall a body can of a Deputy(@jlw) who had a confrontation in a bedroom with an armed suspect. One shot, and the suspect dropped like a bag of rocks. The second shot went over and into the dwelling.
    I’m impressed with @JCN and his technical shooting expertise and others-no sour grapes. And I understand a burst may be a solution to a seated/prone adversary. But a single shot might just save the day…discuss if you like.
    I’ll be dry firing to increase speed to the first shot.

Well, dang boys-I’d better get my speed up!

One thing I do contemplate occasionally is reaction time after the shot(s). I don’t think I’m rationalizing, but seriously, is there such a thing as “too fast”? The gentlemen at Hits talk about splits of .5 seconds being reasonable for analysis of what is happening with opponent(s)-@Wayne Dobbs. I recall a body can of a Deputy(@jlw) who had a confrontation in a bedroom with an armed suspect. One shot, and the suspect dropped like a bag of rocks. The second shot went over and into the dwelling.
    I’m impressed with @JCN and his technical shooting expertise and others-no sour grapes. And I understand a burst may be a solution to a seated/prone adversary. But a single shot might just save the day…discuss if you like.
    I’ll be dry firing to increase speed to the first shot.
    The way I’ve always looked at it is that training to reach a very high level of technical shooting skill (fast draws, fast splits, fast transitions, etc) doesn’t automatically mean the person will just mag dump into the bad guy as fast as they can. Being able to control your gun and guarantee hits fast splits just means it’s even easier to shoot and assess at slower speeds. If you can land all A zone hits at 0.15s splits during a Bill Drill at 7y, you should be able to place rounds exactly where you need to when you’re splitting at 0.25-0.30s. The conversation always seems to devolve into an either/or dichotomy. Either you’re always shooting at 0.30s splits or you’re always shooting at 0.15s splits. I think people are more adaptable than we often give them credit for. Wasn’t there a video in the LE UoF Video thread this year of a shooting involving a female officer who is an avid competitor? She absolutely didn’t shoot the bad guy like it was a USPSA match. She fired a small number of very controlled shots that got the job done.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List