Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet the unarmed response team taking on crime in Boston

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I genuinely do hope they're successful.

But my yardstick for "successful" here is "They don't get shot, stabbed, beaten or strangled to death"

If they can respond to the stupid little squabbles that 55 year old Karens have when their neighbor parks on their grass, or someone is in the park celebrating a birthday playing their music too loud....so much the better.

I'm just ASSuming they probably won't be dispatched to domestic violence calls, shots fired calls, riots, bar fights and naked-dude-with-sword-and-erection calls
    Yup. I’m glad they’re trying. Learning will occur. We’ll start getting more data instead of just speculation about this type of program.

From a program in Montana:

“… Gallatin County Sheriff Dan Springer also noticed the benefits after two mental health professionals started to respond to 911 calls in Bozeman and the surrounding area in 2019. Although deputies in his department are trained in crisis intervention, he says that goes only so far.

"When I hear deputies say the mental health provider is a godsend, or they came in and were able to extend the capabilities of the response, that means something to me," Springer says. "And I hear that routinely now."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-mental-health

I have no issues with the concept. It’s generally the implementation I worry about. The problem with most crisis teams like this is availability. Are they responding to calls for service at 0200? If they are what’s they’re response time. When I worked graves it was generally 30-45 minutes if you were lucky as the CT covered the whole valley and usually were driving from downtown Phoenix. The other thing was, just like fire, if there were any threats of violence or weapons present they called PD, staged, and waited for the code four.

I suspect they’ll have a hard time filling positions and they’ll get unarmed people in situations that will get them hurt or killed.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    I've only skimmed through the article, but it appears the people in that photograph are the idea guys rather than the ones who have to do anything.
    And they haven't even hired consultants yet.

I have a feeling the folks in that photo may have little to do with planning or implementing this initiative, ultimately, other than getting the ball rolling. And maybe PR. But I am cynical.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Blue shoes will be the first one to get capped.
    I had that thought too. Fairness requires noting that it could be any of them though.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I had that thought too. Fairness requires noting that it could be any of them though.
    I would go with either blue shoes or the guy in the back left. The woman standing between them, OTOH, has this "take the damn picture or I will shove this stupid t-shirt up your ass" look.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I wonder if some of them will have red shirts?

The guy all the way on the left in the back row is just in it for free donuts.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Thank God we live in the age of cell phones.... because the forthcoming videos will be GOLD

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I wonder if some of them will have red shirts?
    I see what you did there

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The guy all the way on the left in the back row is just in it for free donuts.
    Where do i sign up!
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List