Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rhodesian Bush War history + A Good Bottle Of Holy Water = S&W MP10

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

Rhodesian Bush War history + A Good Bottle Of Holy Water = S&W MP10

long story short, I have been reading a lot about the Rhodesian Bush War and kind of got fixated on a .308/7.62x51 battle rifle. I actually have about 1500 rounds of .308 in the ammo locker, but only a Ruger Gunsite Scout to shoot it out of. Along came a good bottle of holy water and a NIB S&W MP10 for a great price from a local online dealer and out came the credit card.

I have looked at MP10's for a while and they seem like a solid gun. I know they don't compare to the higher end AR10's, but this gun will is just for recreational shooting.

So what do you guys think about the M&P10? Did I do a good job or will I wake up and try and chew my arm off to get away in the morning?

Watching with interest… I have a FAL that I built years ago after being inspired by a Rhodesian friend (RIP) who waxed eloquently about them, but have always been interested in a AR pattern 7.62 rifle.

Did you get the 16” or 18”?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I’ve had one for several years. Out of the box I’d get a flyer almost every group but after putting on a free float rail, it’s consistent. With match ammunition I run 1 1/2” five shot groups at 100 yds. Federal 150 ball is less accurate, but not too bad.
    A range I’ve used has 12” steel plates every 100 yards out to 1,000. I’ve shot the MP10 out to 600 yards with 155 and 168 grain bullets and easily hit the plates.
    One of these days I’m going to try 175/178 grain bullets.
    It has a Leupold 3-9 VX/R Patrol in a Larue mount.

They are good guns for using as a" modernized" battlerifle. Don't be tempted to try to turn it into something it isn't... the ones I've had and shot have always ran well with various flavors of old surplus MG ammo, with the expected battlerifle accuracy. They do tend to hold their value for resale if you decide to part with it as well.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I am not trying to make this into a 1000 yard shooter, just a good camping/4x4ing rifle. I will probably put a more conventional scope on it, change some furniture, and call it good. I got the 16" version. I'm working pretty much non-stop for the next couple of weeks so it will be a while before I get to shoot it, but I am excited to give it a whirl.

I will update once I have shot the rifle.

If anyone has tips/suggestions in the meantime I would appreciate them.

Thanks,

Matt

A 16” set up like my main 14.5” AR with a RDS is a very appealing concept.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I seriously thought about building one as well, with a 16-18 barrel, but I just can't give up on my m1a.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I had a 16" noveske with a really effective (obnoxious) brake and an aimpoint M3 on it years ago. If i wanted to redo a 762 battle rifle, I'd probably go down that same path again.

The SIG-Sauer 716i Tread is of interest to me as well; I've been pretty impressed with my M400 Tread; any one else have any feedback?

Best, Jon

Does Brownell's still make this?

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...wnells-brn-10/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List