Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .38-44 Learning has occurred!

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thanks. Appreciate it.

I think the above falls into the “measure it with a micrometer” category...lol
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

If not exactly a 358156, you can also look for data on the old 357446. There are more commonalities between the two than differences. The 357446 had an exceptionally long production life and is an excellent design in it's own right. Except for the double crimping grooves and the gas check the two designs are nearly identical, and there have been rumors since the 358156 was introduced that 357446 was the basis for it's design. BTW, most versions of 357446 like to be pushed pretty hard.

Elmer told me that if I just must use .357 brass, the 358477 was good but gave up bullet weight to 358429 and I really should use it in Special brass or crimped over the shoulder in Magnum cases.

Montana has molds for 358429, 358156, a plain base 358156, and others. When and if.

Matt has bullets from 358429 and other brand SWCs.
    I see he also has 358311 roundnose which I think would do well. It has a front band like a SWC but is roundnose for speed loading.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I think in a way, the answer is "Yes."

Unless you are using very specific data (It sounds like what you've found is somewhat "all over the map"... same as me) you're just going to have to see what works for your guns. Work up carefully, paying attention to the details.

.357 cases with 170gr NOE "Keith" seated to the crimp groove, in my Model 60 (just a dummy round to see if that sort of OAL is feasible):
    Attachment 75328
    If OAL is a problem, you can probably shop around for a good WFN that will be shorter at the same weight.
    Not old school but a better killing bullet at under 100 yards or so in most cases.

User Tag List