Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .38-44 Learning has occurred!

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    CD,

Where did you get the 358429s? Did you self cast? I’m having difficulty finding them in stock at my usual go-to places.

Great info above from all!

Thanks!!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    CD,

Where did you get the 358429s? Did you self cast? I’m having difficulty finding them in stock at my usual go-to places.

Thanks!!
    Try rimrock

Cool. I might order some more. I'm bummed that these don't cycle in my M92 in mag cases.

Just googling
    http://www.westernbullet.com/ly3gr15.html

Does not look as long nosed as 358429 but close
    https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...tj48h23jvpsdt1

Montana Bullet Works has 358429 and 358156 molds but Covid knocked them way back and now the head caster is hurt.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

CD,

Thanks!!

Rim Rock https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-35...r-per-500.html

This is the reason for the load I'm developing. I don't want to have him sneak up on me while dressing a deer or a happenstance meeting in the dark. I'm fortunate to be able to carry while archery hunting.

Thanks all. Forgot about Rim Rock. I did see the offering from Matt’s (I’ve used their stuff before for both .357 and .44) but like noted, it’s not a “true” 358429. Guess I’m just a bit concerned about OAL differences in the bullet, seating depths etc when running them this hot in a .38spl case. Too bad on Montana...between that and the ordering/payment issues with them, I hope it gets sorted out.

When I was active in BPCR and did not care to cast my own bullets, I got really nice 404 gr .40s from Montana. Most from the founder before he put his back out humping lead, though.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Thanks all. Forgot about Rim Rock. I did see the offering from Matt’s (I’ve used their stuff before for both .357 and .44) but like noted, it’s not a “true” 358429. Guess I’m just a bit concerned about OAL differences in the bullet, seating depths etc when running them this hot in a .38spl case. Too bad on Montana...between that and the ordering/payment issues with them, I hope it gets sorted out.
    Don't worry too much about getting an "authentic" Keith design. There has been a lot of spirited discussions over the years about what features make a "true" Keith design. Ideal/Lyman never made a single mould to spec according to Elmer hisself in just about everything he ever wrote. He wrote out a list of features required to be true to his design, but there are lots of disagreements about their execution. I probably have 3-4 different versions of the Ideal/Lyman designs myself. I spend most of my efforts pursuing the round flat nose design, and I've been perfectly happy with them. To be honest, my favorite SWC design for 357 is Ray Thompsons 358156. There are slightly different versions of this design as well. I also have the Thompson 44s as well. I don't mind gas checks in the least.

So what advice can be tossed my way in regards to OAL and seating depths on these “not quite 358156” bullets? That’s my main concern. A little too much depth (due to dimensional differences from crimp groove to bullet base) a concern? Is the answer just to start low and work up? I have several Lyman manuals, but the plethora of bullet designs is pretty large.

Does my concern fall under “Measure it with a micrometer, Mark it with a grease pencil, cut it with an axe”?

Does my concern fall under “Measure it with a micrometer, Mark it with a grease pencil, cut it with an axe”?
    I think in a way, the answer is "Yes."

Unless you are using very specific data (It sounds like what you've found is somewhat "all over the map"... same as me) you're just going to have to see what works for your guns. Work up carefully, paying attention to the details.

.357 cases with 170gr NOE "Keith" seated to the crimp groove, in my Model 60 (just a dummy round to see if that sort of OAL is feasible):
    Name:  tmIZwCph.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  30.5 KB

User Tag List