Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10,000 round Galil ACE test! (thoughts and ideas wanted)

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Using some self defense oriented ammo for those tests would be interesting in a short gun. I think Hornady has one and various makers have used a Barnes all copper bullet but I'm not knowledgeable about what's out there.
    I will try and do that. I will come up with a few tests. I want to do something useful (like what you are proposing), rather than stunt stuff. I really like the idea of testing barrier penetration. Maybe the car door, a regular door, and something fun like a trash can with stuff in it. Especially since use of the 7.62x39 is often recommended for barrier penetration.

As a recent Galil convert I am very interested in the results of this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    .....and ......details please???
    The only thing they have in common is they are both based on the AK action and both have the Galil style safety on the left side.

The trunnions, receivers, barrels and magazines are are all different. None of the Galil ACE’s use the original proprietary mags.

No judgement on which is better but the Galil and the Galil ACE have no more in common with each other than they do with any other AK variant.

Re the 45k test - i can believe one of the original guns went bang 45k times but you would be lucky to retain accuracy for a third of that round count.

I owned a pre-ban Action Arms Galil for a few years. It was reliable but ridiculously heavy and the 1/12 twist barrel restricted ammo options.

There are a few videos out there of people trying to take weight off the ACE , they are taking off some of the changes and going back to the 1980s parts. The rifles are not that different. Magnum Research imports were 1-12 , every Action Arms and Springfield import I have seen were 1-7 but anything could be out there.

Site Supporter
    There are a few videos out there of people trying to take weight off the ACE , they are taking off some of the changes and going back to the 1980s parts. The rifles are not that different. Magnum Research imports were 1-12 , every Action Arms and Springfield import I have seen were 1-7 but anything could be out there.
    They are both AKs.

KNS sells a plastic delete kit for the ACE but it does not convert the gun back to the old parts or mags. That requires true custom work - cutting the old parts from kits and cutting /welding modifying the receiver and magwell of the new guns.

The old guns had forged trunnions. LAV has mentioned the new guns have cast trunnions and that he beloved it could be a durability concern long term.

The ACE 21 uses the 35 round 5.56 mags and the ACE N-21 uses the nato mag , original mags will work depending on model and it does not require custom work. South Africa made some solid updates on their version also.

The 7.62 nato Ace rifles use the original mags , the 7.62x39 rifles use AK mags and the only models that do not use the original 35 round mags and use nato 5.56 mags have an N in the model. There is a chart floating around the net with the info on it.

There are cast ARs , forged ARs , plastic ARs and machined billet AR receivers. Have you notified the manufacturers they are incorrectly naming their rifles?

Probably tough to find right now but Silver Bear x39 ammo has a soft point load that I have been told expands well. If I purchase another Galil it will be a x39 rifle , there was also a x39 caliber made in the original version but do not think it was ever imported into the states.

First 1000 rounds complete (I am actually nearing 1500, but I am behind on posting videos).

In this video I try to shoot some groups at 100 yards with hobby grade AK ammo to predicted results (It'll hit a paper plate!))

I test out WBP mags, Magpul Mags, Euro Mags, Etc. for basic functionality. They are all fine. The only two mags that ever resisted at all are the arsenal USA made 5 rounder and the Palm Banana mag. And they worked, you just have to wiggle them extra.

I talk about the need for a medium height mount for my Holosun. And I whine about not trusting chi-com sights because my other Holsun just went down.

Anyway, I am still shooting.

What do you think about me not cleaning it? Since I suspect it will take a lot longer to hit 10k given the current conditions (I have 4k of expendable 7,62x39) so there is a real chance we will hit 5k and then slow to a crawl. Maybe not cleaning it will add a little more fun to the test?

Site Supporter
    The ACE 21 uses the 35 round 5.56 mags and the ACE N-21 uses the nato mag , original mags will work depending on model and it does not require custom work. South Africa made some solid updates on their version also.
    The ACE 21 is not imported into the US so it’s irrelevant. If it’s even an actual production item.

The ACE N-21, the one which is imported to the US, does not take original Galil mags without custom work and parts from a original Galil kit. It can be done but it is a custom job not a bolt on proposition.

User Tag List