Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10,000 round Galil ACE test! (thoughts and ideas wanted)

10,000 round Galil ACE test! (thoughts and ideas wanted)

Hey guys,

I am going to do a series of videos where I document 10,000 rounds through my Galil ACE 7.62x39 Pistol. I am choosing it because I feel that the 7.62 is the best round for the super short format, and 7.62x39 is really the only "cheap" ammo around. The test will involve:

1. 10,000 rounds of Russian FMJ ammo.
    2. Appropriate maintenance. This will not involve any stunt abuse.
    3. A Holosun 503 optic (can it take 10k rounds of fairly exuberant recoil?)
    4. Regular groups taken every 1000 rounds.
    5. A carbine class if I can find time and the plague doesn't kill me.

I will shoot 200-250 rounds per week (barring vacation or sickness). Obviously, it should take me at least 9 months to complete.

My purpose in doing this test is to see if the Gen2 Galil is really ready for prime time. There are tons of 1k or so tests, but not much documenting the condition of the gun after a "lifetime" of shooting. I will be on the lookout for problems and parts breakage.

Let me know if you have any practical ideas for what to keep up with or for what to test. I know that this isn't a scientific test, but I want to keep up with as much info as is practical.

Site Supporter
    Function/Fitment testing with all the various common magazines would be good.
    No need to get weird with expensive collector stuff like Bosnian 2-ribs or Bakes, but it'd be cool to see common milsurp mags (Romanian, East German etc) vs common aftermarket mags (Magpul, KCI, Tapco, Bulgarian waffles, etc.) along with maybe some drum mags too.

Different ad-hoc penetration 'testing' vs things like junkyard car doors at various ranges from 25-300M would be interesting as well, given the short barrel.

When Action Arms was the importer for the Galil they put 45,000 rounds through a 5.56 rifle without problems.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    When Action Arms was the importer for the Galil they put 45,000 rounds through a 5.56 rifle without problems.
    Same name but not the same rifle.

Interested to see how this pans out. With most decent AK models available pushing into Gucci AR price territory, the Galil Ace looks like a pretty decent upgrade for the price over basic patterns going for not much less.
    Not sure how I feel about the feature set for the gen 2, the lack of irons in particular, but if the gun proves to be solid otherwise that is not a huge problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Same name but not the same rifle.
    .....and ......details please???

1. I will chrono the groups in the future and compare it against my 16 inch Saiga.

2. I will test it with a variety of mags (so far everything fits I think, so that may not be too exciting.

3. I may switch to a scalarworks absolute co-witness to bring the sight down a bit.

4. I am very interested in doing penetration testing. What medium would you like me to use (that isn't cost prohibitive). I can definitely get a car door if that's what you want.

Some old pressed steel wheel rims may be fun as well.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    4. I am very interested in doing penetration testing. What medium would you like me to use (that isn't cost prohibitive). I can definitely get a car door if that's what you want.
    Using some self defense oriented ammo for those tests would be interesting in a short gun. I think Hornady has one and various makers have used a Barnes all copper bullet but I'm not knowledgeable about what's out there.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List