Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .357 mag SD ammo for 3” revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Interesting. That Underwood stuff is loaded mighty hot. I'll bet the results would be quite a bit different at 1200 FPS

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Interesting. That Underwood stuff is loaded mighty hot. I'll bet the results would be quite a bit different at 1200 FPS
    Here is a link to the lucky gunner test of the Hornady 158 xtp. 1242 FPS average. Over penetration but they use clear gel.... so you know ......

https://www.luckygunner.com/hornady-...ady-25#geltest

Well ....

Looking around on line there is nothing available I want to buy to try. What is available is WAY too expensive. I just can't bring myself to do it. Slim pickings indeed.

I suppose I will run what I have for now. I have the Speer Gold Dot 38 Special 135gr +p I can try. If it shoots OK in my pistol that will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Hydra-shocks work well, but will almost certainly over-penetrate.
    Are you referring to the standard .38+p 129 grain load? I would be psyched to hear those consistently over-penetrate. I fear underpenetion far more, and that load is the ONLY load I have found that shoots exactly to POA in my 640.

🤞
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Are you referring to the standard .38+p 129 grain load? I would be psyched to hear those consistently over-penetrate. I fear underpenetion far more, and that load is the ONLY load I have found that shoots exactly to POA in my 640.

🤞

No, the .357 magnum load. I don't think I've ever seen the .38+P load tested or used in real life.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    No, the .357 magnum load. I don't think I've ever seen the .38+P load tested or used in real life.
    I knew it was too good to be true.

Gel tests I have found on the net have shown both underpenetration and overpenetration for the .38 version in different tests.

Thanks.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

For my 2" J-frame Smiths, I use Winchester Ranger 38+P 130 grain bonded JHP. # RA38B. For .357 revolvers, I use Speer Gold Dot 135 grain. #23917. Based only on recoil, I consider this to be a milder to moderate load. One day just for the fun of brutalizing my hands, I shot this load in my S&W 340PD.....no doubt it was a magnum. I then shot some vintage ('80's) Winchester Silvertip .357. This load was brutal. After 5 rounds, I said never again. This Winchester gave some perspective for me to call the Speer load milder in recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Currently 170gr swc @1200fps
    Nice, what bullets are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Nice, what bullets are you using?
    Rimrock
    Name:  20210212_141814.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  35.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Well ....

Looking around on line there is nothing available I want to buy to try. What is available is WAY too expensive. ... If it shoots OK in my pistol that will be fine.

Even before the current ammo C-F, 357 mag carry ammo could be difficult and expensive to source. When I acquired a 3" GP100, there were no 135gr 357mag GDs to be found so I picked up some PMC 150gr Starfire because it was what I could get. FWIW, it shoots POA.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List