Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: .357 mag SD ammo for 3” revolvers

From a 2.75 Ruger Security six, always have had good results form the Silvertips in 125grain.
    I reload a hard-cast Keith bullet, 130grain, that the Six shoots accurately.

The hard-cast 130's are my choice for a woods gun round. Been using 4.5 grains of Hodgdon Clays. Found it minimizes the muzzle flash, but at the cost of running slower...[about 850-900fps] but with hard-cast, you don't need the bigger speeds, and so much is lost thru the short barrel. It's a good accurate load for the Six.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Vision issues and the way-to-shiny and oddly curved and reflective rear sight. Easier to just go back to my model 66-1 S&W with its fat and blocky sights.

Nothing wrong with the King Cobra, other than poorly thought out (IMHO) rear sight channel. A nice and smooth revolver for those with young eyes. Again, JMO.
    Oddly, it was the front brass bead that I had trouble seeing. I painted it bright orange and am now good to go. Love shooting mine DA!

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    From a 2.75 Ruger Security six, always have had good results form the Silvertips in 125grain.
    I reload a hard-cast Keith bullet, 130grain, that the Six shoots accurately.

The hard-cast 130's are my choice for a woods gun round. Been using 4.5 grains of Hodgdon Clays. Found it minimizes the muzzle flash, but at the cost of running slower...[about 850-900fps] but with hard-cast, you don't need the bigger speeds, and so much is lost thru the short barrel. It's a good accurate load for the Six.
    I've been shooting good groups with a 158gr cast hi-tek coated SWC over 5.8 gr AA#5 using 38 special brass in my 3" King Cobra

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    If the concern about the .38 Special is the excessive capacity of the case (which seems to be the thrust of the .357 Short article), then wouldn't it make sense to put in some filler, like cotton?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If the concern about the .38 Special is the excessive capacity of the case (which seems to be the thrust of the .357 Short article), then wouldn't it make sense to put in some filler, like cotton?
    A cotton filler won't have the same impact on pressure as a shorter case. I think people use filler in things like blackpowder cartridges mostly to keep it in position.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    A cotton filler won't have the same impact on pressure as a shorter case. I think people use filler in things like blackpowder cartridges mostly to keep it in position.
    For consistent ignition, yes. The same can be done with small charges of fast powder in an oversized case, such as the .38. I’ve heard of people using Kapok for that (pillow/quilt filling fibers).

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    As to BP, the reason for the filler is to ensure that there is no airspace in the cartridge/chamber. If the powder charge isn't packed down, you've basically made a small grenade. It wasn't as much of a problem with muzzleloaders as the charge is easily packed down, but with metallic catriges, it's a concern.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    For consistent ignition, yes. The same can be done with small charges of fast powder in an oversized case, such as the .38. I’ve heard of people using Kapok for that (pillow/quilt filling fibers).
    Adding a bit of filler with very light powder charges can / should improve shot to shot consistency by keeping more of the powder closer to the primer. In my experience it is not needed for normal loads, but if trying to load very light powderpuff / "mouse fart" loads with light for caliber bullets and light powder charges both it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    Adding a bit of filler with very light powder charges can / should improve shot to shot consistency by keeping more of the powder closer to the primer. In my experience it is not needed for normal loads, but if trying to load very light powderpuff / "mouse fart" loads with light for caliber bullets and light powder charges both it helps.
    That filling the case and pushing it closer to the primer is also the secret of Trailboss. I started SASS years ago with light loads, 3.2gr Titegroup behind a 125gr bullet, then switched to Trailboss which burns at about the same rate but is very fluffy and case filling compared to Titegroup. Saw my SD drop from around 30 fps down to single digits with the switch. It matters in light loads.

135 Gold Dot, 125 Golden Saber, any of the SCHPs.

User Tag List