Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: .357 mag SD ammo for 3” revolvers

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Winchester RA38B (130gr+P) or 135gr +P .38 Gold Dot, in my 3" 60-10 generally.
    ^^^^ This.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The King Cobra and the Remington Golden Saber “midrange” 125 load are pretty much made for each other.

I also had good luck with Speer’s 135 GDHP in .357 magnum, but it’s really hard to find in stock in the best of times, let alone now.

Both those loads are manageable, and shoot to POI in the 3” snake—at least, the one I had.

FWIW
    I acquired a couple of boxes of the mid-range Golden Saber and took the 2.25" SP101 to the range.

Two-handed, it was a little stout, but manageable. Strong-hand only, it was becoming unpleasant. Weak-hand only, it was mildly painful....but it "quit hurting as soon as you stopped shooting".

The Winchester Ranger 130 gr. +P is a lot tamer, and I don't know that there is much if any gain by going to the Magnum round, which leaves me to ponder:
    1) Would it be more manageable in a mid-sized frame revolver? Would that even matter if there is no gain in "stopping power"?
    2) If using the +P .38's is the answer, why not go to a six-shooter like a Colt (Night) Cobra?

The pondering continues.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I still enjoy touching off Federal 357B’s out of my snubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I still enjoy touching off Federal 357B’s out of my snubs.
    You're a sick puppy. FWIW, that load has been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I acquired a couple of boxes of the mid-range Golden Saber and took the 2.25" SP101 to the range.

Two-handed, it was a little stout, but manageable. Strong-hand only, it was becoming unpleasant. Weak-hand only, it was mildly painful....but it "quit hurting as soon as you stopped shooting".

The Winchester Ranger 130 gr. +P is a lot tamer, and I don't know that there is much if any gain by going to the Magnum round, which leaves me to ponder:
    1) Would it be more manageable in a mid-sized frame revolver? Would that even matter if there is no gain in "stopping power"?
    2) If using the +P .38's is the answer, why not go to a six-shooter like a Colt (Night) Cobra?

The pondering continues.
    The golden saber is very manageable from k frames. Feels about the same as my .38+p loads (158@1000fps)

After working up a load with 158gr XTPs I've switched over to them. A little less recoil than the 170swc not that they were bad but still keeping the same poi.

It seems if I keep the bullet around 1200fps the poi stays the same.

Site Supporter
    The King Cobra and the Remington Golden Saber “midrange” 125 load are pretty much made for each other.

I also had good luck with Speer’s 135 GDHP in .357 magnum, but it’s really hard to find in stock in the best of times, let alone now.

Both those loads are manageable, and shoot to POI in the 3” snake—at least, the one I had.

FWIW
    i notice you say had. If you don't mind me asking, what prompted you to get rid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    i notice you say had. If you don't mind me asking, what prompted you to get rid of it?
    Vision issues and the way-to-shiny and oddly curved and reflective rear sight. Easier to just go back to my model 66-1 S&W with its fat and blocky sights.

Nothing wrong with the King Cobra, other than poorly thought out (IMHO) rear sight channel. A nice and smooth revolver for those with young eyes. Again, JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Winchester STHPs.

Site Supporter
    Vision issues and the way-to-shiny and oddly curved and reflective rear sight. Easier to just go back to my model 66-1 S&W with its fat and blocky sights.

Nothing wrong with the King Cobra, other than poorly thought out (IMHO) rear sight channel. A nice and smooth revolver for those with young eyes. Again, JMO.
    I completely get that. I sold a 6.5” bright nickel modern S&w 22-whatever in .45 acp partially because it was so smooth and bright and shiny that I couldn’t get a decent sight picture in normal light, and outdoors it was almost painful to look at. If the chamber throats hadn’t been such a mess I might have tried to get someone to at least bead blast the top strap to tone it down, but just seemed like it was going to need a lot of tweaking for something I wasn’t going to shoot that much.

User Tag List