Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: PA SLx 1x Prism

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Partly on topic:
    Looks like Primary Arms has been reading David Yamane's Gun Culture 2.0.

An engaging (young female black) new enthusiast gets a T & E example to do her first Youtube vid. And she *is* engaging & funny, if she's the one who scripted the video.
    She mentions most of the questions folks have about these things, although eye relief does not come up.

Eye relief seems to be no different than any dot I’ve ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    I have one of the original SLx 1x Prism scopes still sitting in the box. I got it because of my astigmatism and esotropia and can't use red dots without closing my weak side eye, otherwise I just see two images.

One of my AR's (cheap M&P Sport II, but still a darn good rifle) has a Holosun 510C on it, and my other rifle (a new Springfield Saint Victor) has a PA LPVO on it with offset BUIS.

My original intention was to put the SLx 1x Prism on the S&W, but just didnt like the way the BUIS co-witnessed thought it, despite experimenting with absolute, lower 1/3'd, etc. Just didn't like where the height of the scope ended up in relation to the fixed front sight on that rifle, so The Holosun 510C is what ended up on there, and I just close my weak side eye like I do when I use any other optic.

With all that said, that little prism scope is very nice. As others have mentioned, the dopier is fantastic, and allows you to dial in a crystal clear image. I had typed with the idea of getting rid of the fixed front sight on the M&P Sport II and adding a low profile gas block and free-floating hand guard just so I could use the PA prism scope on that rifle, but made sense to simply mount a different optic.

I really wish I had a use for the 1x prism scope because it really is a very nice optic, and I'm sure the newer version is even better.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManClemens View Post
    I have one of the original SLx 1x Prism scopes still sitting in the box. I got it because of my astigmatism and esotropia and can't use red dots without closing my weak side eye, otherwise I just see two images.

One of my AR's (cheap M&P Sport II, but still a darn good rifle) has a Holosun 510C on it, and my other rifle (a new Springfield Saint Victor) has a PA LPVO on it with offset BUIS.

My original intention was to put the SLx 1x Prism on the S&W, but just didnt like the way the BUIS co-witnessed thought it, despite experimenting with absolute, lower 1/3'd, etc. Just didn't like where the height of the scope ended up in relation to the fixed front sight on that rifle, so The Holosun 510C is what ended up on there, and I just close my weak side eye like I do when I use any other optic.

With all that said, that little prism scope is very nice. As others have mentioned, the dopier is fantastic, and allows you to dial in a crystal clear image. I had typed with the idea of getting rid of the fixed front sight on the M&P Sport II and adding a low profile gas block and free-floating hand guard just so I could use the PA prism scope on that rifle, but made sense to simply mount a different optic.

I really wish I had a use for the 1x prism scope because it really is a very nice optic, and I'm sure the newer version is even better.
    To clarify, do you find the fixed front in the field of view a distraction or do are you talking about the optic compromising use of the BUIS through the optic ?

You should be able to use the PA Prism scope with the fixed front sight. The U.S. military has used ACOG prism sights with fixed front sights since the 1990s. In service use your optic is your primary sighting system. The ability to use back up iron sights (BUIS) through the optic without removing it is nice but not essential. I would not give up an optic that works well for my eyes on the remote chance of needing BUIS.

If the front sight being in the lower part of the field of view bothers you you could either get and inexpensive riser or acquire a detachable carry handle and mount the PA prism directly to the carry which will give you a "high" mount the same height all the "cool kids" are using for passive aiming. The more upright shooting position is also easier on the neck for those of us with less neck flexibility due to age and/or injury.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    To clarify, do you find the fixed front in the field of view a distraction or do are you talking about the optic compromising use of the BUIS through the optic ?

You should be able to use the PA Prism scope with the fixed front sight. The U.S. military has used ACOG prism sights with fixed front sights since the 1990s. In service use your optic is your primary sighting system. The ability to use back up iron sights (BUIS) through the optic without removing it is nice but not essential. I would not give up an optic that works well for my eyes on the remote chance of needing BUIS.

If the front sight being in the lower part of the field of view bothers you you could either get and inexpensive riser or acquire a detachable carry handle and mount the PA prism directly to the carry which will give you a "high" mount the same height all the "cool kids" are using for passive aiming. The more upright shooting position is also easier on the neck for those of us with less neck flexibility due to age and/or injury.
    It's not the front sight that's distracting since it doesn't bother me at all with The Holosun 510C and a lower 1/3 co-witness. I tried a few different mounts and just didn't like the way the front sight co-witnessed with the prism scope. Not sure if that makes any sense, but even with a lower 1/3rd mount the way the field of view through the prism scope and the front sight lined up was distracting. I don't think it was a true lower 1/3rd co-witness and seemed like it was more somewhere between an absolute and lower 1/3rd.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManClemens View Post
    It's not the front sight that's distracting since it doesn't bother me at all with The Holosun 510C and a lower 1/3 co-witness. I tried a few different mounts and just didn't like the way the front sight co-witnessed with the prism scope. Not sure if that makes any sense, but even with a lower 1/3rd mount the way the field of view through the prism scope and the front sight lined up was distracting. I don't think it was a true lower 1/3rd co-witness and seemed like it was more somewhere between an absolute and lower 1/3rd.
    I would just forget the co-witness through the optic and go with the most effective primary optic.

BUIS are a spare tire. If the optic fails take it off. If you are really worried about it the SLx should fit QD bases for the smaller ACOGs.

It’s not the 1990’s anymore failures of quality optics are uncommon. Uncommon enough the USMC is going to the VCOG 1-8 and the Army is going to the SIG 1-6 LPVO - neither of which allow co-witness and both of which have to be removed to use BUIS.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I would just forget the co-witness through the optic and go with the most effective primary optic.

BUIS are a spare tire. If the optic fails take it off. If you are really worried about it the SLx should fit QD bases for the smaller ACOGs.

It’s not the 1990’s anymore failures of quality optics are uncommon. Uncommon enough the USMC is going to the VCOG 1-8 and the Army is going to the SIG 1-6 LPVO - neither of which allow co-witness and both of which have to be removed to use BUIS.
    For sure, and all valid points. It's on a cheap M&P Sport II and it's just a firearm I have that I guess would be used for home defense (I personally prefer my 590A1 for that role) since I'm in CA and thus limited capacity, and live in a really small place, so the shotgun is my primary. The Holosun 510C is an awesome optic, has a huge field of view, shake awake, huge reticle with the circle and dot option, and just works for the intended use of that rifle. I've thought about selling the PA 1x prism scope simply because I don't have anything to mount it on at the moment, but also consider holding onto it because it is a really nice optic, and as mentioned before the diopter really allows for a crystal clear picture. I just didn't care for how it mounted and co-witnessed with that rifle to the point where it was just distracting, but isn't with the Holosun. Sounds weird, yes, but it is what it is!

My green illuminated SLx 1x showed up yesterday. This morning I popped it on my IWI X95 - the mount PA ships on the sight is actually the perfect height, it cowitnesses with the flip up irons. The only issue I may be having is that the power knob is *extremely* tight. I’ll look at it to see if maybe that’s something the battery chamber lid tightness controls. The other issue is related to me, not the sight - the power position markings are too damn small for me to see. I’ll add a paint dot to the off position.

First impressions are quite favorable. I’m hoping to get to the range soon.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 10-31-2021 at 07:38 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Got to shoot one of these today. Helped a buddy zero it on his Colt 6920. Pretty neat, especially the diopter adjustment. Want one for my A1 clone carry handle.

I was able to put more rounds down range with it. Very happy with the Midwest mount and it made the pairing with my magnifier that much better. Still very happy with the purchase and the sub 40 degrees did not do anything to affect it. Will know more in another month when it’s freezing.

Actually placed a order for the Glx 2x prism for another setup I’m building. Love the etched reticle and clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I was able to put more rounds down range with it. Very happy with the Midwest mount and it made the pairing with my magnifier that much better. Still very happy with the purchase and the sub 40 degrees did not do anything to affect it. Will know more in another month when it’s freezing.

Actually placed a order for the Glx 2x prism for another setup I’m building. Love the etched reticle and clarity.

How tight is your side brightness adjustment? How about the diopter?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List