Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: PA SLx 1x Prism

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Mine arrive and I am initially impressed. The glass is clear edge to edge and I was able to focus the reticle to a nice crisp horseshoe. The mount appears to be well thought out and fits the streamlined profile of the optic. It uses the mini-Acog footprint if you have your favorite mount. The illuminated reticle was visible at noon on settings 10-13 for me. However since the reticle is etched on the glass I am not sure if this is as big an issue as some make it out to be.

This one is going on a Ruger PC9 and I would say the reticle is appropriate for the rifle. I took it outside and the reticle is definitely able to give a good aiming point. The optic is not mounted yet, but I did play with the ranging feature and using known distances around my home I can say that it works pretty well. I have a telephone pole at 200 yards and was about to use the height function perfectly.

I have a few weeks before I can get out to the desert for some shooting, but I am happy so far. If my impression remains favorable, I will definitely give the 3x a look for one of my AR's.

Here are some pics for reference only. It is very hard for my camera to get good reticle pictures so the actual reticle is much better using the human eye.

Name:  IMG-2256.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  IMG-2261.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:  IMG-2263.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  IMG-2265.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  33.7 KB
    Last edited by ECVMatt; 08-15-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    To help with a better idea of the size of the reticle I recruited my son for a quick experiment.

I want to make is very clear the optic is not mounted on a firearm. It is resting on a table. I edited the photo to make it as visible as possible. My camera is not the greatest, that is why I edited the photo. Using the human eye, the reticle is very clear and the chevon is crisp.

My son is 6'4" and about 210 pounds. He is standing at 15 yards.

Name:  IMG-2275.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  38.2 KB

DDM4V7
    PMC 55gr FMJ
    Benched, braced and kneeling.
    Regarding optic placement, keep in mind stock position, as I am 5'0.

Name:  20210816_110606.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  38.5 KB

Initial impressions are good. 100 yard zero was easily achieved. Managed to shoot <MOA, which compared to a red dot seemed easier. Keep in mind my astigmatism and monovision correction. I also am very pleased with the ranging reticle. While I didn't attempt to range with it, I did discover the top line corresponds to POI at 5 yards. I was able to hit the ring numbers on the B8, something I could never do with a red dot. Also seemed as though the open bottom of the horseshoe was POI at 10 yards. Only fired 20 rounds...

Dislike:
    The NV settings need to be on the other side of "ON". You have to rotate through those to get to the lower illumination settings.

Likes: It's nice being able to see a precise aiming point on 1x for the first time. Very forgiving eye box. Variety of mount options included. Cost.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Benched, braced and kneeling.
    … Very forgiving eye box.
    I’m surprised and encouraged by your post. How forgiving is the eye relief? How many inches min to max, usable?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m surprised and encouraged by your post. How forgiving is the eye relief? How many inches min to max, usable?
    Without adjusting the diopter, I would estimate from 1.5" to 9", with my vision.

I was going into this with a rather negative mindset. I am looking forward to shooting it more, obviously.

Also, it would have been nice if the ranging portion was illuminated.

Site Supporter
    Just got one of these in and put it on my rifle. Am hoping this cleans it up a bit for longer-range shooting since dots are pretty big blobs with my eyes.

So far it seems pretty cool, but it definitely has some slight magnification. Will get it to the range this weekend.

DDM4V7

Dislike:
    The NV settings need to be on the other side of "ON". You have to rotate through those to get to the lower illumination settings.

Likes: It's nice being able to see a precise aiming point on 1x for the first time. Very forgiving eye box. Variety of mount options included. Cost.
    I'll echo the forgiving eye box. On the NV settings, you can rotate the knob either way so you can roll through the high intensity instead if you prefer.
    Last edited by RancidSumo; 09-22-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Got to eyeball one of these this past weekend.

Tons of eye relief. I held an AR out at arms length before the edges of the window started closing in on the view through it. Looks like it’d work on a Scout rifle mounted forward of the action... and maybe even on a revolver held at arms length.

And it’s amazing what a difference the etched reticle made with my astigmatism.

My concern was that the horseshoe would be too small to be usable. Opinions?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My concern was that the horseshoe would be too small to be usable. Opinions?
    The more I use this thing, the more I like it. I placed an orange B8 at 100yds, in the shade. It was difficult to see the orange as a defined point of aim. I was able to place the horseshoe around the repair center and shoot 10s. The fact that the Chevron tip is in the exact center of the horseshoe is great. Also, being able to turn off the illumination, and use the etched black has been helpful in several lighting conditions. Things I could never do with a red dot.

I'll be picking up the green Raptor reticle SLx 3x when it comes out in October.

Site Supporter
    The more I use this thing, the more I like it. I placed an orange B8 at 100yds, in the shade. It was difficult to see the orange as a defined point of aim. I was able to place the horseshoe around the repair center and shoot 10s. The fact that the Chevron tip is in the exact center of the horseshoe is great. Also, being able to turn off the illumination, and use the etched black has been helpful in several lighting conditions. Things I could never do with a red dot.

I'll be picking up the green Raptor reticle SLx 3x when it comes out in October.
    Are you still using the factory mount? That is the only thing I don't care for. I ordered an ADM mount and I'm hoping I can use the PA riser pieces with it - we will see.

User Tag List