Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: PA SLx 1x Prism

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    What other prism options are worth looking at? Swampfox blade, Vortex Spitfire....

Not needing some HSLD, EOTWAWKI solution.
    So as I get older, Can’t See Shit gets worse. Astigmatism evolution. I have been incrementally buying new prism sights over the last five years. I have the Vortex Spitfire, I have a Primary Arms 3x Prism and recently picked up a Swampfox.

All have pluses and minuses, but the new PA Micro addresses one of my biggest gripes, the weight. The Vortex is very clear, but weighs nearly a pound. It feels much heavier on the rifle, especially as it replaced an Aimpoint Micro on a 5.56.

The glass in the PA 3x is not that clear. I bought it as a cheapo ACOG. Nowhere near as clear as a proper ACOG. I have it in a box right now.

That Swampfox is a bit big and a bit heavy, but glass is clear and the green reticle is superb. I have less than 200 rounds on it to date, but seems solid.

The PA Micro Prism looks the best yet on paper - 7 oz. and a useable reticle - so I hope the glass is good.

@DrkBlue

Understand. I've got monovision correction, with astigmatism in my (R) dominant eye. For pistol, I'm very much in the irons camp. Never cared much for dots on rifles either, but dealt with it. Prefer the functionality of a LPVO, but dislike the weight and form factor.

Apparently I've been under a rock, and never explored these new fangled prism optics.

Looking forward to trying out the PA SLx 1x I just ordered..... thanks p-f.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 08-04-2021 at 09:10 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

I’m most curious to hear how these work at the long end of their listed 2”-6” eye relief... all my red dots on AR’s, and a few bolt guns, sit further forward than the set up shown in the review.

I’m not even sure what I’ll put this on, but I do want to try it out.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I don't think I'll like it for the same reason I don't like most of the ACSS stuff; that chevron is probably too small for my liking.

IMO the concept behind a chevron is you can have the tip to use as a very precise aiming point for slower or longer range shots and the giant chevron to make shooting at close in targets fast. With every ACSS I've tried below a 4x magnification the chevron was so small I couldn't even make out a chevron it just looked like a oval dot to me which IMO removes most of the supposed utility of the reticle.

I emailed Primary Arms to ask what the size of the chevron is on this thing because if it is large enough I might be willing to give it a shot but they told me they don't give out that information so as to prevent people from cloning it. My response was WTF? So I'm going to pass on this one.

IMO the Swampfox Blade nailed the reticle; it's just an over all heavier optic than I'd like.

Site Supporter
    I probably won’t be buying one any time soon, but this and especially the upcoming magnified version look like they would make a cool optic minimalist optic for a lever gun.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

FWIW reviews on interweb (mrgunsandgear) implies bigger chevron and more than stated eye relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    FWIW reviews on interweb (mrgunsandgear) implies bigger chevron and more than stated eye relief.
    Eh bigger doesn't mean it's big enough to my liking. It's absurd they won't just tell you how big it is on their website. You'd think they'd want the customer to know but they don't... which is offputting to me.

PA SLx 1x Prism

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    Eh bigger doesn't mean it's big enough to my liking. It's absurd they won't just tell you how big it is on their website. You'd think they'd want the customer to know but they don't... which is offputting to me.
    Seems straight forward for a competitor looking to copy the optic to buy a unit and measure the reticle.

Something about this excuse for not providing specs doesn’t make sense.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Seems straight forward for a competitor looking to copy the optic to buy a unit and measure the reticle.

Something about this excuse for not providing specs doesn’t make sense.

Yeah I don't get it either. I dug up the email just in case someone thinks I'm fabricating things. I blocked out his name because I'm not trying to get some customer service rep fired:

Name:  primary arms.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  37.0 KB

User Tag List