Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: PA SLx 1x Prism

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    @HeavyDuty

I was told by a PA rep that they do not make a kill flash for the 1x. I have also seen them available for sale on PA....

I do not think the killer toaster issue is worth any worry, just an observation that could, possibly matter in a very specific set of circumstances.

Regarding the SLx 1x 9mm Gemini. I have one that I need to provide some thoughts on.
    I can confirm the killflash does fit my 1x.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

PA is having one of their periodic 12% off sales. I was able to use this and a few bonus bucks vouchers to order the green 9mm 1x plus killflash for $91, it’ll go on my Scorpion SBR.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I believe a fellow named Dimitri designs all the ACSS reticles. Trijicon even licenses some of them for ACOG models. Dimitri is a long distance shooter who certainly understands the math behind what he's doing.

I think many people have had somewhat better success using ACSS BDC reticles than some other BDC reticles that wern't designed and vetted extensively by good shooters in the past. I'm not sure what the state of things is in 2021; perhaps the other big players have stepped up their game as well. BDC's obviously have limitations due to all sorts of variables, but I know Dimitri has obsessed over how to acheive the best compromises, and he actually tests the piss out of stuff in the real world with a wide variety of equipment, ammunition, and under variable conditions.

It's probably more like having Brian Litz design your BDC than the marketing department at Leupold.

All that being said, I've personally been underwhelmed with some of the ACSS reticle designs. I'm a fan of thick crossbars for low light situations or even shadowy backgrounds in daylight. They very obviously work better in scopes without illumination. I know the ACSS reticle has illumination, but I still don't trust batteries 100%, let alone my ability to induce user error by not having it adjusted correctly. This article sums up my feeling pretty well with exemplary images.
    https://thenewrifleman.com/why-the-g...4-still-rocks/

Attachment 75454

I think if you are going to an etched reticle for a 1x scope, you may as well etch the damn reticle with a #4 German style on the exterior so it's actually usable without illumination in low light. No one would ever design a non-illuminated hunting reticle that looked like the ACSS, and for good reason.
    I've drilled a German #4 with my scope set to #1 a fair bit in daylight and it was fast as hell 25 and under. One doesn't use the reticle to "aim" with any more that one is supposed to focus on the dots. Center the target in those fat black bars and rip. Seems like blasphemy but that's what it looks like to having also shot with RDS sights on carbines.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The 9mm green 1x arrived today. I spent time in meetings (no camera) playing around with different height bases on the Scorpion and settled on the low cantilever 1.41” configuration. I’d like to put BUIS on this since the CZ originals are a little low and neck crunchy, but I don’t want absolute cowitness - IIRC standard AR irons are 1.4” above the rail. I seem to recall HK-416 sights are a little lower? I’m also wondering if a set of 45 degree BUIS is practical - XS makes a low profile fixed set, and there are many low profile folders.

I have a feeling I’ll be trying the 2x next on a carbine.
    Ken

I joined the club

I was lucky and got a hold of a green-reticle 5.56mm version from a fellow P-F member.

Name:  Cyclops_grn_1.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  28.7 KB

My impressions are favorable & I look forward to learning how to use it. The picture was done with an old Canon digital Elph camera set in macro mode with the lens placed where my eye would most likely end up with a proper stock placement and neck extension, at about 4" from the diopter.
    Brightness setting is at "4" (out of 13)
    I find that with my usual glasses, the tip of the chevron is quite clear, but the camera does not quite get there.
    You can see that the glass has a little darkness and is not quite as clear; the target wall is approximately 3' from the muzzle. Relief is good for me at 3" to 8"; farther out and the trianglular shadows from the lens mechanism
    start to encroach into the view.

I expect to sight it in this weekend and see how it does.

(ETA: the above image does have the accessory PA Killflash installed. When fitted, you will only give yourself away to your decepticon toaster within a very small range of motion, and then only when a light source is shining through the diopter end of the unit. )
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 02-18-2022 at 11:56 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Piggybacking here. But I finally finished building a new upper and could install the 2x onto this. So far it’s just sort of mock up until the finishing touches come. But I added the lower spacer to the Midwest qd mount. Seats height around 1.75”ish. Perfect for me. This is going to get its own dedicated lightweight lower now. But wanted to get a feel for it.

I am now going to do the same with my 1x. Adding the spacer to it as I’m planning on ditching the magnifier that’s behind it for now anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got an email from PA about the impending new 3x… tempted. I have a 11.5” 5.56 upper on order for my Rattler, it might be a good match.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I just got an email from PA about the impending new 3x… tempted. I have a 11.5” 5.56 upper on order for my Rattler, it might be a good match.
    Meaning they're releasing it soon?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Meaning they're releasing it soon?
    The optic? April. The upper? Who knows.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...8-reticle-yard
    Ken

I have been so impressed with the GLx 2x. I may try the 3x on this 13.9 and move the 2x to my shortie. The GLx is a smidge above the SLx IMO though. Just the small details mainly.

I think the SLx 1x/3x will be very durable though. So far my 1x has been fine in sub zero temps and what not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List