Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: PA SLx 1x Prism

Received the Slx 1x with green reticle. Everything seems to fit. Unfortunately the wife wants to watch a movie, and wont let me go shoot in the dark....

Name:  20211223_194959.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  65.0 KB
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

1. Has anyone tried the killflash on the 1x? I had a PA order and added one on, I’m wondering if it helps with the killer toaster issue.

2. I have $150 in PA bongo bucks, hopefully I can use them all on a 9mm green 1x for the Scorpion SBR. I’m really liking these little optics, and it would be a good match for the Scorp.

3. BUIS. My current 1x is on my X95 which has integral irons that fold into the top rail. I’m wondering if folding 45 degree irons would be appropriate for the Scorpion with a 1x, or overkill?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

@HeavyDuty

I was told by a PA rep that they do not make a kill flash for the 1x. I have also seen them available for sale on PA....

I do not think the killer toaster issue is worth any worry, just an observation that could, possibly matter in a very specific set of circumstances.

Regarding the SLx 1x 9mm Gemini. I have one that I need to provide some thoughts on.
    - Mike Pannone

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    killer toaster issue
    The what now?

EDIT: Never mind. I asked this exact same question a page ago.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Brief thoughts on SLx 1x 9mm Gemini

The reticle is smaller than the SLx 1x.

Name:  fa951f4d3814a46e984e4f37cb479ffc.png
Views: 311
Size:  88.9 KB

For me and my eyes, the head position / eyebox is less forgiving. Initially I had this mounted above the ejection port, as it comes on the factory riser. I was getting a reduction / zoom out perception of the target. B8 down range, look through optic, target gets smaller??? Adjusted diopter, which was extremely stiff, and had to be initially turned using a wrench with the jaws taped in order not to damage it. Made it slightly better, but still not right, ended up moving the optic as far rearward as possible and that has solved the issue.

Name:  20220111_094213.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  37.5 KB

Using Fiocchi 158 gr, which is apparently uncommon, I zeroed at 25, which puts the POI about an inch high at 50. The top dot, under the chevron is said to match at 150. For my combo it is dead on at 100. Again, monovision corrected eyes, my gun, my height over bore, my suppressor, extremely uncommon ammo, etc.

Name:  20220111_095725.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  28.2 KB

I was very close to returning it, and had excellent and fast communication with customer service. I decided to keep it because the BDC reticle has value to me.

Speaking further on the reticle, the top dot is tiny, the bottom dot is even smaller. Visually, the top dot is 3/4 the width of a milk jug at 100 yards, so perhaps 4 MOA, but very precise. Again a 4 MOA black dot at 100 yards. The illumination is only the Chevron and horseshoe. Also noticed that in some lighting, the illumination overpowered the ability to differentiate the BDC. Solution was to turn it off, yes an extra step, but something that can't be done with a red dot, and does allow for a BDC.

Initially not pleased with the Gemini compared to the ACSS GEN2. Some adjusting and experimenting, and I am pleased.

And again, their CS is excellent.
    - Mike Pannone

PA just announced a new small-format 3x Magnifier that is optimized for the 1x MicroPrism, too. I'm guess-timating that the MicroPrism+mount/Magnifier+mount will weigh in at less than 16 oz total.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    PA just announced a new small-format 3x Magnifier that is optimized for the 1x MicroPrism, too. I'm guess-timating that the MicroPrism+mount/Magnifier+mount will weigh in at less than 16 oz total.
    I tried to use a magnifier with the Gen 1 1x Cyclops Prism, and it took drastic adjustments of both diopters, rendering the combo impractical, to get a clear image. Maybe the newer products work better. I've always been a fan of Primary Arms prism optics.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    @HeavyDuty

I was told by a PA rep that they do not make a kill flash for the 1x. I have also seen them available for sale on PA....

I do not think the killer toaster issue is worth any worry, just an observation that could, possibly matter in a very specific set of circumstances.

Regarding the SLx 1x 9mm Gemini. I have one that I need to provide some thoughts on.
    I think the killflash is fairly new, the rep may not be aware of it yet: https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...lection-device
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Brief thoughts on SLx 1x 9mm Gemini...
    Thank you for writing that up - I have to decide if it’s the optic for me. It’s either this or another Romeo4T for the Scorpion.
    Ken

I finally got my green 1x a little while back. My experience so far has been a mixed bag, although I haven't put many rounds downrange due to extreme cold and lots of snow.

The good:
    Size and weight are great.

Love the 1 MOA adjustments! I rough zeroed on 16" BCM ELW-F by firing two rounds at about 25 yards, did the math, made about 14 MOA windage adjustment and about 5 MOA elevation, fired two more rounds to confirm with height over bore being accounted for. Worked as expected, and got me to 100 yards for a 3 round group. I only needed about 2 MOA adjustment at 100 for windage and I think 3 for elevation. Fired a 5 round group to confirm with no surprises. Easy.

I messed with the diopter and found that, while I couldn't fully focus the optic to my uncorrected vision (crazy astigmatism), I could get it good enough to easily make hits within 6" circle at 100, in failing light, on a low-viz target (cardboard box). The same diopter setting was quite decent with my glasses too. I would be hard pressed to do this with a red dot without my glasses on in low light. I still need to see if I can mark positions for corrected vs uncorrected vision and switch between them.

There are a variety of decent QD mounts available, and I've got one on the way.

Close range, inside house distances, seemed very red dot like.

The Meh:
    It was poor light, getting near dusk, overcast, with ambient temperature below zero. It was hard to see the low contrast targets I brought. I had some 2" blue painter's tape crossed on roughly 12" brown cardboard boxes. I could make out the blue tape when looking over the gun, but when I got behind the optic, the image was dimmed enough that I couldn't make out the tape, so I had to just hold in the center of the target silhouette; I was loosing a lot of detail optically, even with both eyes open. I was surprised by severity of this, but didn't bring other optics for comparison, so don't know what, if anything, I was loosing in the balance. Will have to get a RDO and LPVO out for a taste test some evening.

I noticed that, for my individual vision, it's not the same as a red dot when driving the gun to target. I think there is specific terminology around the issue I am unfamiliar with, and I seem to recall reading that it affects different people differently. When I aim using occluded aiming (Bindon Aiming Concept or whatever), if I occlude the optic tube, aim to a target at 50 meters, then remove the occlusion, I am no longer centered on target where I thought I was. By contrast, red dot sights don't seem to have this effect for me, or at least not nearly to the same degree. For me, the effect is pronounced enough that it even feels weird driving the gun to targets at certain ranges. I feel like I have to make a small correction to account for this phenomena as I pick up the sight on target. I will need to do a lot more messing around and see if my brain calibrates for this like with a new pair of glasses.

So far I am cautiously optimistic.

User Tag List