Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: PA SLx 1x Prism

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Is it really a big deal?
    I’m not really sure. Still digesting. I’m not a .mil shooter, so probably not? I’m trying to reason how it might affect a home defense situation - it’s not like I’ll be in a hide.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I just tested mine in a mirror and am seeing the same. Would a killflash help this?
    Not sure, I need to reach out to PA.

Is it really a big deal?
    Well, my safe answer would be it depends...

For me, and how I plan to use it, likely not.

Unsure of how game would perceive it, and likely would vary from animal to animal.

For home defense, folks could make up all sorts of scenarios where it would or would not matter....

I'm just noting what I saw.
    Taking a break from social media.

Military Arms Channel just did a review of the Gen 2 1x Cyclops. https://youtu.be/jaUt62cBmoY

He also did a pretty extensive preview of the yet to be released 3x version toward the end of the video. It's very nearly the same size as the 1x. Quite interesting!

I ordered a red 1x 5.56 Cyclops on Black Friday. Somehow FedEx lost my package, and I have been in order purgatory for nearly a month. After a few contacts with Primary Arms (I am always very polite), I finally got in contact with a wonderful not-stupid in the shipping department today. They had sold out of red units, so I wound up with a green one as a replacement. I'm glad I decided to accept the green replacement, because Tim at MAC waxed poetic about his love for these sights to his 1.23 million subscribers today; I bet they'll sell out soon.

The moral of my story it this: If you have trouble with a Primary Arms order, try to speak with Gabby in Shipping as a point of contact if possible.

It would have saved me trouble, and I would have gotten a red replacement unit held on standby if I had talked to her sooner. It's refreshing to talk to someone competent with some authority who can cut some red tape when appropriate.

PA SLx 1x Prism

I’ve been playing with passive aiming with night vision: PVS-14 on the left eye and carbine optic on the right eye. With a T1, I’ve had trouble with parallax/convergence due to trying to resolve different focal planes. With practice, I feel like I could solve the problem. But, so far it’s not easy.

With an etched reticle optic (Elcan Specter DR), I have none of that. The illuminated reticle is always superimposed on the target in the NODS image.

I’m wondering if the PA 1x would be good for this application (other than the visual signature issue).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’ve been playing with passive aiming with night vision: PVS-14 on the left eye and carbine optic on the right eye. With a T1, I’ve had trouble with parallax/convergence due to trying to resolve different focal planes. With practice, I feel like I could solve the problem. But, so far it’s not easy.

With an etched reticle optic (Elcan Specter DR), I have none of that. The illuminated reticle is always superimposed on the target in the NODS image.

I’m wondering if the PA 1x would be good for this application (other than the visual signature issue).

Interesting. Are you seeing anything through the optic besides the reticle, or is it dark enough that you may as well cap the lens anyway?

I suppose there must be times when your optic eye helps give you depth perception and peripheral field of view even if it's mostly low resolution shadowy information?

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Interesting. Are you seeing anything through the optic besides the reticle, or is it dark enough that you may as well cap the lens anyway?

I suppose there must be times when your optic eye helps give you depth perception and peripheral field of view even if it's mostly low resolution shadowy information?
    Almost dark enough to have the cap on. Definitely can’t see the target.

But I’ve found that the open eye does often provide depth and peripheral information.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Military Arms Channel just did a review of the Gen 2 1x Cyclops. https://youtu.be/jaUt62cBmoY

He also did a pretty extensive preview of the yet to be released 3x version toward the end of the video. It's very nearly the same size as the 1x. Quite interesting!
    I was about ready to get a 1x, but after seeing that video, I think I'm going to hold out for a 3x.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I was about ready to get a 1x, but after seeing that video, I think I'm going to hold out for a 3x.
    The Glx 2x appears to be a bit better built than the Slx to me. Philippines vs China I believe. I suck and have not posted but the 2x is really growing on me. I can shoot with both eyes open and it’s easy to track inside the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the 1x diopter adjustment works for me as I suspect it will, I'll likely purchase a 2x or 3x and switch between them for different applications with the same rifle. One of the big upsides to these is a variety of good ~2.2 ounce QD mounts that are pretty darn cheap.

You can buy 3 of these things for about the price of a single ACOG or a decent (but heavy) LPVO/mount combo.

Rant:

On a side note: I can't understand why so many people don't like the 1MOA adjustment on the 1x. I wish the 3x had this FEATURE. You can adjust a scope with 1 MOA clicks to a zero of within .5 MOA of POA, and that is a worst case scenario. Probably (90%), it will be mechanically somewhere inside of .5 MOA for windage and .5 MOA for elevation. This is within 2" at 400 yards. Who is actually going to have a rifle/ammo/eyeball/skillset combo capable of exceeding this with a 3x optic on top? The feature to me is that you can mark elevation/windage for a given load/environment, and then with only a click or three you can adjust for many different loads or environmental conditions to match your reticle. I think that's cool and totally outweighs the advantage of silly benchrest competition shooting graduations on a carbine optic.

If you are 1MOA off, just click and you are now perfect. If you are .7 MOA off, click, and you are now whopping .3 MOA off in other direction. If you are truly unlucky, you will be .5 MOA off, and now when you click you will still be .5 MOA off in the opposite direction. How many people are half-MOA shooters with a $5000 bolt gun topped with Schmidt and Bender glass? Am I missing something?

I wish they would make a 4x version. I would buy it in a heartbeat. Be great on a 16” setup. Have it take the bigger acog mounts and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List