Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PA SLx 1x Prism

PA SLx 1x Prism

Well I am not sure if this belongs here or not as there seems to be some confusion about what role this optic plays. It seems to cut the line between a red dot and a 1x scope. Some are starting to feel that 1x prisms address some of the problems associated with red dots such as the need for batteries, star bloom for shooters with astigmatism, retaining a shootable reticle even after an electronic failure.

Anyways it looks like an interesting development more closely associated with red dots than LVPO's and the like. It seems PA is pushing forward with their refinement of the low powered prism sight designed to rival the red dot.

Here is a decent review:

https://thenewrifleman.com/primary-a...ace-a-red-dot/

What do you guys think, does this have the potential to challenge red dots for rifle and shotgun use or is this just an extention/rip off of the ACGOG or the Bushnell Lil P?

I very much like the idea, and am curious to see how this one holds up. It’s been interesting seeing how PA has worked their way up the optics food chain.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Well… I pre-ordered one a month ago.

The price point and feature set sound copacetic. I hope the return on investment is there.

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    Well… I pre-ordered one a month ago.

The price point and feature set sound copacetic. I hope the return on investment is there.
    Please report out once you get it. I am curious about this one as well.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Some are starting to feel that 1x prisms address some of the problems associated with red dots such as the need for batteries, star bloom for shooters with astigmatism, retaining a shootable reticle even after an electronic failure.
    You are right, a prism corrects all three potential issues. I don't have the PA but I have three Swampfox Blades (and a Trihawk) and I am a huge fan. In fact, I like them better than red dots. I didn't say they are better, just that I like them better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the PA's are made in China (as is Swampfox) if that's a concern. But the Trihawk and 2 of the Blades have very impressive clear glass on par with much higher end optics. I have to admit that one Blade has noticeable "fisheye", which is odd because the others do not. Even so, going from an amorphous blob to a very sharp reticle is a "holy crap" moment. I'm a big fan of prism's.

Biggest drawback is battery life compared to red dots, but changing batteries often is cheap insurance and nothing I'm worried about. And they're still better than Eotech.

I'm learning new things here, and I my wallet is not happy. Looks like I need to get up to speed an prisms.
    Taking a break from social media.

I haven’t researched 1x prisms in a few years, since the Leopold prismatic was on the market. Do I remember correctly that you can use BUIS through the sight? Although I’m not sure I would bother with the etched reticle.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I haven’t researched 1x prisms in a few years, since the Leopold prismatic was on the market. Do I remember correctly that you can use BUIS through the sight? Although I’m not sure I would bother with the etched reticle.
    You can, yes. And I agree, probably not necessary. The point of BUIS, is just that - backup, in case the dot fails completely. Not as much of an issue with etched reticle prisms. If you simply must have BUIS and want to really plan ahead for the optic getting too damaged to see through, then you're better off with offset irons anyway.

I've never used one, but I do find the idea interesting.

This particular model would be a pass for me because of the 1 MOA adjustments on the reticle, but I've heard they have a model with more precise adjustments coming soon.

I went ahead and preordered one while the 12% sale was happening (you have to call and have it adjusted, the website won’t take the code on preorders.) I’m not especially worried about 1 MOA adjustments on this type of optic.
    Ken

User Tag List