Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P229 project gun

Site Supporter
    This talk of the P2 has me wondering, isn’t sigs own new enclosed emitter red dot supposed to be pretty durable? What little I’ve heard of it has been very positive, but that doesn’t mean much. Regardless, a legion RX or one of the slides GJM picked up paired with the Romeo2 (assuming that turns out to live up to the hype) seems like a potential easy fix to the P series/Acro mounting issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    This talk of the P2 has me wondering, isn’t sigs own new enclosed emitter red dot supposed to be pretty durable? What little I’ve heard of it has been very positive, but that doesn’t mean much. Regardless, a legion RX or one of the slides GJM picked up paired with the Romeo2 (assuming that turns out to live up to the hype) seems like a potential easy fix to the P series/Acro mounting issue.
    Agreed: this would probably be the easiest solution. However, I have no interest in current production SIGs, a passion for the older guns, and a pile of early 2000s P226s that I can play with. It's not practical, but the end result will give me the warm and fuzzies. For others, it probably wouldn't make the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would likely have a 226 or 229 milled for an Acro, if I knew where I could find a P2?
    I picked up my frames at Wright today, and was very impressed with the work (I plan to start a separate thread on that project).

They just hired a CNC programmer, and told me that once I get an optic to drop off a slide, plate, and optic for measurements. Based on how well the frame cutting worked out, Wright has earned my business for the next project. Now I just need for P2s to come available...

Site Supporter
    Rented a P229 legion at the range today and put 100 rounds through it side by side with my LTT centurion.

My initial impression of the beretta wasn’t great, I had a hard time shooting it well because of (I think) my trigger finger contacting the frame as I pressed the trigger. A set of thicker Wilson VZ grips has completely remedied that and and I’m now shooting the pistol as well my PX4 carry pistol, and far better than the Glocks I’m used to carrying.

The sig legion is a phenomenal pistol, the 10lb DA trigger and thick sights definitely needed more focus from me than either beretta, but were completely manageable and I think that it would be pretty easy for me to transition from beretta to sig.

The grip on the legion is pretty nice. I like the undercut trigger guard and front strap checkering quite a bit. Honestly I wouldn’t mind a bit more of a ledge on the left grip panel, but reaching the slide stop would be even harder than it already is.

The slide stop is small, but seems to be in a pretty natural place for either my strong hand thumb or support hand thumb to hit.

The beavertail is actually a little bit nicer to my hands than the B92 beavertail, at least from what I could tell today. It’s a bit pointier but is more rounded on the sides, which plays a bit nicer with the joint at the base of my thumb than the beretta. On the other hand, the beretta is undeniably a softer shooting gun, so I can’t say which is really better at this point.

All in all, I need more time behind both guns to really decide which one is “better.” I think a sig legion with an 8lb DA and either Dawson fibers or a low mounted dot would be an absolutely incredible gun though.

Rented a P229 legion at the range today and put 100 rounds through it side by side with my LTT centurion.

My initial impression of the beretta wasn’t great, I had a hard time shooting it well because of (I think) my trigger finger contacting the frame as I pressed the trigger. A set of thicker Wilson VZ grips has completely remedied that and and I’m now shooting the pistol as well my PX4 carry pistol, and far better than the Glocks I’m used to carrying.

The sig legion is a phenomenal pistol, the 10lb DA trigger and thick sights definitely needed more focus from me than either beretta, but were completely manageable and I think that it would be pretty easy for me to transition from beretta to sig.

The grip on the legion is pretty nice. I like the undercut trigger guard and front strap checkering quite a bit. Honestly I wouldn’t mind a bit more of a ledge on the left grip panel, but reaching the slide stop would be even harder than it already is.

The slide stop is small, but seems to be in a pretty natural place for either my strong hand thumb or support hand thumb to hit.

The beavertail is actually a little bit nicer to my hands than the B92 beavertail, at least from what I could tell today. It’s a bit pointier but is more rounded on the sides, which plays a bit nicer with the joint at the base of my thumb than the beretta. On the other hand, the beretta is undeniably a softer shooting gun, so I can’t say which is really better at this point.

All in all, I need more time behind both guns to really decide which one is “better.” I think a sig legion with an 8lb DA and either Dawson fibers or a low mounted dot would be an absolutely incredible gun though.
    I know some trust the newer sigs. I still am hesitant. As much as I am enjoying my older 229. That LTT is a overall better pistol imho than a legion. Trigger/sights/coating/internals.

Good deal you made the grip more comfortable, to me that’s the biggest thing I have noticed. Is when you get a pistol to fit your hands the shooting performance is pretty great. No twisting or re clamping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I know some trust the newer sigs. I still am hesitant. As much as I am enjoying my older 229. That LTT is a overall better pistol imho than a legion. Trigger/sights/coating/internals.

Good deal you made the grip more comfortable, to me that’s the biggest thing I have noticed. Is when you get a pistol to fit your hands the shooting performance is pretty great. No twisting or re clamping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reliability wise I’ve heard more positive than negative about the legion series, but it’s undeniable that a sig legion would be more likely to arrive with deal breaking QC issues than any beretta.

Generally speaking I agree with you about the LTT being a better pistol than the legion, and the thicker Wilson grips make it a great shooter in my hands. I do really like the frame modifications that the legion comes with, but I need to spend more time with it and other 229s to figure out how worth it those modifications are to me.

With these grips, there’s a solid chance that my beretta shooting will eclipse any want/need I feel for P series guns, after all, the 229 is barely shorter than the 92 grip wise, and I like long holsters anyway.

At this point, the legion still seems like the sig I personally would want, but as I said that could change based on me spending more time with non legion 229s/M11s.

Reliability wise I’ve heard more positive than negative about the legion series, but it’s undeniable that a sig legion would be more likely to arrive with deal breaking QC issues than any beretta.

Generally speaking I agree with you about the LTT being a better pistol than the legion, and the thicker Wilson grips make it a great shooter in my hands. I do really like the frame modifications that the legion comes with, but I need to spend more time with it and other 229s to figure out how worth it those modifications are to me.

With these grips, there’s a solid chance that my beretta shooting will eclipse any want/need I feel for P series guns, after all, the 229 is barely shorter than the 92 grip wise, and I like long holsters anyway.

At this point, the legion still seems like the sig I personally would want, but as I said that could change based on me spending more time with non legion 229s/M11s.
    I like the legion guns a lot. But when there are good used sigs from a better time (1990s-2005ish) for 500-700 dollars that is what I grab. My p228 has a trigger job by Robert Burke at the Sig Armorer and it is outstanding. I have owned a 92 compact by langdon and it was nice but nothing like this 228 that holds more ammo and carries easier.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I like the legion guns a lot. But when there are good used sigs from a better time (1990s-2005ish) for 500-700 dollars that is what I grab. My p228 has a trigger job by Robert Burke at the Sig Armorer and it is outstanding. I have owned a 92 compact by langdon and it was nice but nothing like this 228 that holds more ammo and carries easier.
    Had another range trip today, shot the M11 definitively better than the beretta and maybe better than the legion. A used P229R may be the best choice, those don’t seem too hard to find on GB.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    You can get an optics cut factory slide 226 or 229 for about $500. I would do that before buying a legion unless you want SAO.

Site Supporter
    The SIG R2 is not a true fully enclosed emitter. It’s an open emitter sight with a detachable hood. While a great idea for keeping rain or snow out, It will not be as durable or as resistant to immersion as a true enclosed emitter optic.

The SIG R2 exists because SIG wants to retain their current mounting footprint and while not impossible, it is impractical to have a true enclosed emitter optic with top mounted mounting screws. Hence, why both the ACRO and the holo sun 509 use sidemounted mounting screws.

User Tag List