Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P229 project gun

Sig P229 project gun

So, I picked up the sig p229 pistol that was for sale for $350. I discussed it with the lady of the house, sold a some extra gear and ponied up the cash. I get married September 12th so this is kind of a wedding gift to myself.

Here are my thoughts so far:
    -send the gun to the sig armorer for
    1) fitting barsto barrel in 9mm
    2)action work (he goes through the whole gun correcting anything wrong)
    3) QRT or SRT trigger package
    4) mill for a rmr footprint
    5)refinish in a two tone similar to what ToddG had done by Bill R all those years ago.
    *Not sure he will bevel the magwell but that would be cool.
    6) Pick up gray guns grips for it
    This is more of a passion gun for and a hat tip to pistol forum and the project gun that Todd never got to run. Never got to meet or talk to him but I have benefited a lot from him through others I have shot with from this forum and people I talk to on a daily basis that I have met here.

Sounds like a really cool project. Let us know how it goes!

I have really fond memories of P229’s. Is it a -1 or an earlier model? I only owned 229-1’s but they were all extremely accurate with the stock barrels. It sounds like a really fun project. I hear Sig Armor does some really great work on 229 triggers.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I've had 3 triggers done by Sig Armorer. 2 DA/SA and a SAO. I am well pleased with all 3. When my 229 SAO arrives it will go to him as well.

I'd shoot it before having a barrel fitted. The classic Sigs often had very accurate barrels.

That's a screaming deal. P229s kick ass.

Unless you're converting to 9mm, I agree on sticking with the factory barrel. Even today accuracy usually isn't the problem with a Sig.

I believe his 229 is in .357 hence the bbl swap. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I believe his 229 is in .357 hence the bbl swap. I think.
    Correct. It's 357 sig which is a cool caliber but 9mm is the place I want to go. Sigs are extremely accurate, hopefully the barsto barrel will be just as accurate

I'll post photos when I get the gun in hand and as the project progresses

Do you have a nice 40 S&W? I ask since 40 S&W seems to still be available more frequently that 9mm at the moment and that gun was designed to shoot it and does so quite well.

If it were my gun I would:
    - Drop in a new SIG factory 40 S&W barrel (they're available fairly inexpensive and quality is very very good and your 357 gun is meant to do that swap from the factory)
    - Install Factory SRT (inexpensive, easy to do yourself and the new sear will smooth things up quite a bit)
    - Install a Grayguns adjustable trigger (not needed, but the adjustment they provide is nice)
    - Ship out the slide to have it milled for an RMR (if that's what you want) and don't have them refinish it
    - Leave the factory grips alone (or replace if they're super dinged up) or go E2 if you have small hands
    - Have it refinished by CCR (Cummings Custom Refinishing). CCR's finishes are excellent and they're really the best at doing SIG's anodized frames. Have the black parts done in "House Black."

It would be fairly inexpensive if you hunt around and source the barrel and SRT kit for cheap (I bet you could find both for under $150).

But that's just me

User Tag List