Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P229 project gun

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I’ve been thinking of trying the CZ P-01/PCR as a possible alternative. Grip isn’t any longer than a P239’s… though slightly thicker. Not sure how thick the frame is (cuz it’s the frame on a CZ, not the slide).
    I personally thought the cz was huge. It felt blocky and not really ergonomic to my medium size hands. P229 in contrast fits like a glove and had better trigger reach for me with hogue g10 grips

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I personally thought the cz was huge. It felt blocky and not really ergonomic to my medium size hands. P229 in contrast fits like a glove and had better trigger reach for me with hogue g10 grips
    Hmm. Interesting. I held one once (a P-01). Felt real nice in the hand. Didn't really get a sense of overall size.

I actually my sold .357 P229 because it was just a little big for my hands. The P239 fits well and I think it makes a great little hand cannon in .357.

It crossed my mind because I'm finding my P99 and my P6 (P225) just as easy to carry as my P239s (in thin neoprene holsters). I'm not concerned with capacity; 8 rounds is fine. But I just think something more current might be easier? And people seem to rave about the accuracy of P-01s and PCRs. My RAMI was crazy accurate. Wasn't all that reliable, though.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 09-28-2021 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I'm finding my P99 and my P6 (P225) just as easy to carry as my P239s
    I found the same when comparing my P239 to my P2000--virtually identical in all dimensions, and the minor difference in thickness didn't affect concealability. For me it did affect shootability, though (I have medium hands but for some reason struggle with single stacks), so there was no way to justify the P239 vs. the P2000, and it went away.

Site Supporter
    For those who have experience AIWBing both sig legions and beretta 92s, is one beavertail worse than the other comfort wise or while drawing? The beavertail on a 92 doesn’t present any impediment to my drawstroke and isn’t uncomfortable, but I’ve never gotten the change to examine the legion beavertail in person.

RE: the legion series, what interests me about it are the frame modifications and that it comes with three mags. The trigger/finish/sights/grips are all changeable to one degree or another.

Its pretty crazy that the 10lb DA pulls on the sigs I shot recently still resulted in better accuracy than the tuned 7.5lb DA of my LTT. Plenty of people in this thread have talked about how classic sigs “just work” for them, and based on my limited exposure that may well be the case for me as well. What is that though? How smooth the trigger is? How well the grip fills the hand? How well the grip allows ones support hand to interact with the gun?

“It” is probably a combination of the above plus a ton of other variables. Either way, it’s perplexing, frustrating, and also pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    For those who have experience AIWBing both sig legions and beretta 92s, is one beavertail worse than the other comfort wise or while drawing? The beavertail on a 92 doesn’t present any impediment to my drawstroke and isn’t uncomfortable, but I’ve never gotten the change to examine the legion beavertail in person.
    I can only speak indirectly. I ran a standard frame P226 for a couple years. I now carry CZ P07/09's, which have longer beavertails than the Legions. I haven't personally noticed any difference in carry comfort or draw performance.

From a drawing performance perspective, I moved from gripping the gun with a "full master grip" (thumb between the frame/slide and belly) which looks like this:

Name:  IMG_4982.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  46.6 KB

to a "Claw Grip," where the thumb grips over the top of the beavertail and hammer. It looks like this:

Name:  IMG_4983.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  15.7 KB

I personally learned the Claw grip from Scott "Jedi" Jedlinski of Modern Samurai Project a few years ago. There's several benefits when you're working that 1 second draw "for the 'grams." Most applicable to your question is that you don't have to over extend your thumb to navigate it up, over and around the beavertail to get it in position between your gun and your belly. You just place it on the back of the hammer, then move it along side the gun during the press out. He recommends the Claw technique for all guns carried AIWB, beavertail or not.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I can only speak indirectly. I ran a standard frame P226 for a couple years. I now carry CZ P07/09's, which have longer beavertails than the Legions. I haven't personally noticed any difference in carry comfort or draw performance.

From a drawing performance perspective, I moved from gripping the gun with a "full master grip" (thumb between the frame/slide and belly) which looks like this:

to a "Claw Grip," where the thumb grips over the top of the beavertail and hammer. It looks like this:

I personally learned the Claw grip from Scott "Jedi" Jedlinski of Modern Samurai Project a few years ago. There's several benefits when you're working that 1 second draw "for the 'grams." Most applicable to your question is that you don't have to over extend your thumb to navigate it up, over and around the beavertail to get it in position between your gun and your belly. You just place it on the back of the hammer, then move it along side the gun during the press out. He recommends the Claw technique for all guns carried AIWB, beavertail or not.
    A few minutes with a blue gun shows the genius of this AIWB, and it seems to have similar benefits for strong side IWB. Any reason why it wouldn’t translate to behind the hip carry?

David that is how I draw also, which I think I picked up on jedis video. Good stuff

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

Glad to hear you haven’t noticed much difference. Claw grip is also the way I draw from AIWB, for all the reasons folks like Jedi have brought up. I know that Jedi really doesn’t like beavertails on his personal guns, but plenty of other great AIWB shooters who use guns like berettas or CZs seem to use claw or claw adjacent grips with no detriment.

Honestly, a legion sans beavertail would be pretty cool, but I don’t think the beavertail outweighs the undercut and other modifications the legion comes with.

On a side note, who wants to trade a legion P229 for a LTT centurion??

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    Glad to hear you haven’t noticed much difference. Claw grip is also the way I draw from AIWB, for all the reasons folks like Jedi have brought up. I know that Jedi really doesn’t like beavertails on his personal guns, but plenty of other great AIWB shooters who use guns like berettas or CZs seem to use claw or claw adjacent grips with no detriment.
    P22X SIGs aside, I generally get slide bite without a beavertail, so I prefer one personally. I'm guessing Jedi doesn't have that problem, so it makes sense why he prefers without.
    David S.

That's a nice wedding gift btw

User Tag List