Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Sig P229 project gun

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    Reviving the 229 thread which I enjoyed reading.

I picked up a DAK in .40 yesterday, been looking for a model to run DAO since I’m deep into Revolvers now and fully invested in the DB ‘assessment speed’ thought process. (I have two DAO nickel plated hammers should I ever find a DA/SA to throw them in). The DAK is plenty workable given my last two years with Revolvers and a brief sting with V1 LEM. I’ll stick with it as is and see how I like it. I don’t sense much of the pull weight difference.

Anyway, my question is really about how to determine a manufacture date? It didn’t come with the original box. Frame is Sig Sauer Inc, Exeter, NH. Short, eternal extractor. Railed frame, but no front cocking serrations. All three mags are mecgar. AJU serial number prefix. No police markings.

Going to throw some Hogue grips and green fiber/blacked out rear sights, get another JMCK and call it good for a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Congrats, and I think you may be able to contact Sig about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    Reviving the 229 thread which I enjoyed reading.

I picked up a DAK in .40 yesterday, been looking for a model to run DAO since I’m deep into Revolvers now and fully invested in the DB ‘assessment speed’ thought process. (I have two DAO nickel plated hammers should I ever find a DA/SA to throw them in). The DAK is plenty workable given my last two years with Revolvers and a brief sting with V1 LEM. I’ll stick with it as is and see how I like it. I don’t sense much of the pull weight difference.

Anyway, my question is really about how to determine a manufacture date? It didn’t come with the original box. Frame is Sig Sauer Inc, Exeter, NH. Short, eternal extractor. Railed frame, but no front cocking serrations. All three mags are mecgar. AJU serial number prefix. No police markings.

Going to throw some Hogue grips and green fiber/blacked out rear sights, get another JMCK and call it good for a bit.

There's a couple of sig forums out there with fairly detailed production lists; you should be able to narrow it down to a few months pretty easily.

LE/Gov't contract guns, unless their department specified an engraving on them, otherwise won't be engraved...my P229, had it not come with the box/label showing that it had a -G suffix, I would never have known it was a gov't contract gun otherwise.

Sig P229 project gun

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    There's a couple of sig forums out there with fairly detailed production lists; you should be able to narrow it down to a few months pretty easily.

LE/Gov't contract guns, unless their department specified an engraving on them, otherwise won't be engraved...my P229, had it not come with the box/label showing that it had a -G suffix, I would never have known it was a gov't contract gun otherwise.
    Thank you! The serial number Dates between May of 2012 and June of 2013. Given the sequence, fall of 2012.

Last edited by kjr_29; 01-31-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Name:  162EEB39-E396-4891-99F2-1A55D7512F76.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  70.6 KB

Alright, so this thread kind of inspired me, and I found this half by accident anyway. It’s an older P229 in 9mm, old enough that it takes the P228 mags.

First things first, the Hogue rubber grips gotta go. I’ll order some G10s soon. For sights I’ll probably go with Dawson fiber optics, I’ve always had good luck with them.

My question now is holsters: JMCK shows holster options for “228/229”. I’m assuming that’s the holster I want for mine but figured I’d better double check with the group here. If I get a holster for a 229 with rail will it work with my 229 or did the change in slides that came along later make mine incompatible with 229R holsters.

Lastly, the same place I got this one had a .40 of similar vintage as well. I’ve read for years on PF about how well the 229 did with .40 and I don’t have a gun in 40. Do I want to try to talk them out of the other 229 also?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

Alright, so this thread kind of inspired me, and I found this half by accident anyway. It’s an older P229 in 9mm, old enough that it takes the P228 mags.

First things first, the Hogue rubber grips gotta go. I’ll order some G10s soon. For sights I’ll probably go with Dawson fiber optics, I’ve always had good luck with them.

My question now is holsters: JMCK shows holster options for “228/229”. I’m assuming that’s the holster I want for mine but figured I’d better double check with the group here. If I get a holster for a 229 with rail will it work with my 229 or did the change in slides that came along later make mine incompatible with 229R holsters.

Lastly, the same place I got this one had a .40 of similar vintage as well. I’ve read for years on PF about how well the 229 did with .40 and I don’t have a gun in 40. Do I want to try to talk them out of the other 229 also?
    Nice pickup. The .40 can be converted to .357 Sig as well, lots to like about caliber diversity given the ammo situation the past two years. If you like this one after shooting it, go for the .40 as well.

9mm P229s will fit in P228 and P226 holsters - the 40/357 versions have thicker slides and have their own unique holster profile. Source, I have all 3/4 (P229-1 with both 40/357 slide and 9mm slide, a P228 and a 9mm P226). The holster is based around the slide, not the frame. A P229R holster should fit a non-railed P228/9 just fine - again, in 9mm only. A P229R holster for a 40/357 will only fit a 229R with that specific slide profile.

If you want to "complete the set", then sure pick up the 229 in 40...personally, I don't like shooting it in 40 or 357Sig; it's why I sprung for a 9mm conversion (and optic) for mine. It's not bad; it's certainly a softer shooting 40/357 than a lot of it's contemporaries, but it's still not something that I find 'fun' after a hundred rounds or so of practice. YMMV of course, and if you're sitting on a ton of 40/357, it might make sense for you.

Hogue G10s arrived today and installed. Much better. Have JMCK holster ordered, that’ll be a little bit. Ordered a couple of MecGars from Greg Cote. Those should arrive soon. Holding off on sights until after the first range trip to see how it goes.

I did notice while doing a quick field strip when installed the G10 grips that someone got white grease in a lot of places it didnt need to be but missed some spots (frame and slide rails) that it needed to be. Cleaned all that out and added oil. I’m gonna like that better I believe. I wonder if it got traded off because the frame and slide rails were bone dry and it was having malfunctions.

@Jared just an FYI and for future reference, even the 229-1 9mm models will take and run with 228 and 226 mags, even though they’re narrower. When I had a 229-1 I left the factory mags in the case and just used all the 228/229/226 mags I had accumulated over the years. So if you ever have a chance to get a deal on 229-1, don’t worry about buying 229-1 mags.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    @Jared just an FYI and for future reference, even the 229-1 9mm models will take and run with 228 and 226 mags, even though they’re narrower. When I had a 229-1 I left the factory mags in the case and just used all the 228/229/226 mags I had accumulated over the years. So if you ever have a chance to get a deal on 229-1, don’t worry about buying 229-1 mags.
    Thank you for the tip. I will keep that in mind. It’s been several years since I last ran a classic Sig that wasn’t a 239, so I’m gonna start with this old 229 first. If I’m feeling good about where I’m at after 2-3 good range trips, I’ll probably start looking into expansion.

Site Supporter
    Also 320C holsters work for the 229R and 229.

Name:  229 .40 After.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  59.6 KBName:  229E2 55BN.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  70.8 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List